Pro tune VS canned predator tune

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
ive run the canned predator tune with my truck with pretty good results. dyno numbers are in the sig. but i think im gonna have HPP retune it and see if i can get a little better numbers, the service engine light off, and most of all an extra MPG or two. the AF with the canned tune is almost dead on (not sure about the timing), but it stumbles a little when i first shift to 3rd here recently. its been great in the winter, but heat has it doin weird stuff. but the miles are racking up, and the tune needs to be dead on, not so-so. how much is to be gained with a professional tune? ive got the vette now so i dont drive the truck too much bc it gets GALLONS PER MILE compared to the vettes 30mpg. im lookin for personal experiences goin from a can tune to a tuner tune...TIA:rockon:

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
I used to run a Superchips 1715 and swapped to an Excal II. It was pretty big difference in the way the truck felt. Typically the canned tunes are pretty safe compared to the custom more aggressive tunes, you may wanna keep that in mind. Btw I would not let Chris or anyone at HPP tune my truck. Try PSI in Webster.... Or someone else that klows these trucks like JDM, Johnny Lightning, Amazon, or Woodbine.

giant22000

Established Member
Try PSI in Webster....

X2 for PSI Motorsports. I think I read somewhere that they are or already have moved to Kemah. Maybe I read that on their website...

Yup it was, this is taken directly from their website, "We are moving to a new location!

Our new address will be 1145 FM 518 Rd, Kemah, TX 77565

We will be announcing our opening date for the new location in the next week."

Dark_5.0

Established Member
I used to run a Superchips 1715 and swapped to an Excal II. It was pretty big difference in the way the truck felt. Typically the canned tunes are pretty safe compared to the custom more aggressive tunes, you may wanna keep that in mind. Btw I would not let Chris or anyone at HPP tune my truck. Try PSI in Webster.... Or someone else that klows these trucks like JDM, Johnny Lightning, Amazon, or Woodbine.

Everyone has opinions. Woodbine sent me a mail order tune that had my AFR's never going below 14:1 and then refused to believe their tune was ****ed.

HPP has tuned many of my friends cars and lightnings with awesome results. HPP is who is going to tune my Coyote swap this Fall.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Everyone has opinions. Woodbine sent me a mail order tune that had my AFR's never going below 14:1 and then refused to believe their tune was ****ed.

HPP has tuned many of my friends cars and lightnings with awesome results. HPP is who is going to tune my Coyote swap this Fall.

It happens broski, that's why your are dancing with the devil when you get a custom tune (especially mail-order tune). The same thing happened to me with Troyer Performance when I first installed my bigger pulley/tune.

As far as opinions go, your right we all have them. However, I have 9,200 reasons to keep HPP from ever touching a vehicle of mine again. I had a fully built motor from them and had all the confidence they knew what they were doing. Don't get me wrong the they were super nice guys but nice doesn't cut it for me when you shell out that kinda of dough..

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
It happens broski, that's why your are dancing with the devil when you get a custom tune (especially mail-order tune). The same thing happened to me with Troyer Performance when I first installed my bigger pulley/tune.

As far as opinions go, your right we all have them. However, I have 9,200 reasons to keep HPP from ever touching a vehicle of mine again. I had a fully built motor from them and had all the confidence they knew what they were doing. Don't get me wrong the they were super nice guys but nice doesn't cut it for me when you shell out that kinda of dough..

well they arent building my motor. theyre tuning my truck. theyve tuned all my fords from foxbodys to terminators with great results

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Canned tunes, like mentioned, are more on the weak side but i still wouldn't trust them. Dyno tune is always best. Even if you get one through email tuning, always dyno it.

Users who are viewing this thread