problem after IMRC cleaning...car won't start!

Abneriel

Established Member
Last night a buddy and I cleaned out the secondaries/IMRCs/intake manifold. I've done this before a few years back by myself and everything went fine. After we finished putting everything back together (triple checked the connections) we tried starting the car and it would not start. The crank turns, but it sounds like it's not getting fuel. The rails are all in place and injectors are all connected. I didn't smell any fuel down on the engine, so it's not spraying it out anywhere. It's almost like the lines aren't being re-pressurized. I tried searching the forum, but didn't come up with anything concrete. Any help or suggestions would be great!

EDIT: I just realized this is my first post here, haha

Abneriel

Established Member
can you hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the ignition to on??
it's a high pitched noise in the back, no?

I just got back from the car to test:

I can barely hear a really high pitched noise, but it sounds like it's coming from up front somewhere with nothing in the back that I can discern. It also cuts off after about a second.

EDIT: is it possible that the fuel shutoff was triggered (in the trunk)? Does that have to be done manually, or is it automatic?

<-- doofus if it's not basic maintenance

Last edited:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
it's a high pitched noise in the back, no?

I just got back from the car to test:

I can barely hear a really high pitched noise, but it sounds like it's coming from up front somewhere with nothing in the back that I can discern. It also cuts off after about a second.

EDIT: is it possible that the fuel shutoff was triggered (in the trunk)? Does that have to be done manually, or is it automatic?

<-- doofus if it's not basic maintenance

check your fuse in the engine compartment and also see if you can press the fuel pump restart button in the truck.

ZeroSVT

Established Member
What i would do, but you have to be extremely careful doing this. I accept no responsibility if you blow yourself up:)

There is a shcrader valve on the front of the passanger side fuel rail, its like a valve steam on your tires.

Turn the ignition on and wait till you hear the pump shut off. Then take something and poke the valve and see if fuel squirts out.

Once again be careful!!! wear safety glasses and have a fire extinguisher near by. O and dont smoke ^_^

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
What i would do, but you have to be extremely careful doing this. I accept no responsibility if you blow yourself up:)

There is a shcrader valve on the front of the passanger side fuel rail, its like a valve steam on your tires.

Turn the ignition on and wait till you hear the pump shut off. Then take something and poke the valve and see if fuel squirts out.

Once again be careful!!! wear safety glasses and have a fire extinguisher near by. O and dont smoke ^_^

+1 i forgot do that first:beer:

Abneriel

Established Member

I'm on my way out to give it a try...wish me luck, haha.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
mushroom-cloud.jpg

Abneriel

Established Member
Hmm he hasn't come back. I hope he didn't blow himself up.... O_O

Yeah, I died. :(

Thanks for your concern. :p

My buddy came over and we checked, it was getting fuel...

Turns out my battery was the culprit, heh, we tried jumping it and it kept cranking, but didn't start...

The vehicle we were trying to jump it with didn't have enough power, so we swapped it out with a different car and it started up after a minute, then stalled. So I kept the engine at about 2k for a minute and it was good to go! Other than needing a new fuel filter it drives like a champ!

Thanks guys!

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
Yeah, I died. :(

Thanks for your concern. :p

My buddy came over and we checked, it was getting fuel...

Turns out my battery was the culprit, heh, we tried jumping it and it kept cranking, but didn't start...

The vehicle we were trying to jump it with didn't have enough power, so we swapped it out with a different car and it started up after a minute, then stalled. So I kept the engine at about 2k for a minute and it was good to go! Other than needing a new fuel filter it drives like a champ!

Thanks guys!

Cool bro glad to hear it started. Does it stay running fine if you shut it off and restart it? do you have to play with the gas to keep it idleing:shrug:

Abneriel

Established Member
Cool bro glad to hear it started. Does it stay running fine if you shut it off and restart it? do you have to play with the gas to keep it idleing:shrug:

It starts and runs fine now, it wouldn't idle on its own for the first minute or so, but is good now. I ran it around town a bit, and restarted it about five times with no issues.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I STILL need to clean my IMRCs...
I'm such a slacker. I've been busy acquiring parts for the rearend build

Users who are viewing this thread