problem shutting hood

mj8

Established Member
Has anyone had a problem shutting their hood. I pretty much have to slam the heck out of it to close. Is this normal or do I need to get it better aligned?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
lower it by hand until its about a foot open and then let go, letting it drop....that's what most of us do

adam

Established Member
Mine does the same thing.... I always have to partially slam it..

dougwg

Established Member
I had a 1979 hatch back
now a 1996 Cobra vert

12"-18" up.... and drop

It's a mustang thing ;-)

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
there is a thread about some adustment we can do to make it normal.
I cant find it,
My GT shuts 10x smoother

W30bob

Established Member
To make the hood easier to close here's what you do.....There are two rubber bumpers, one on each side at the front corner of the radiator support, that support the hood when it's closed. Turn each one a half turn clockwise (when viewed from the top), then lower the hood (don't drop it). With the hood resting on the rubber bumpers push down on the hood in the center. If it latches you're good to go, if not continue to turn the rubber bumpers a half turn at a time and repeat the process until the hood catches with a moderate amount of pressure. The Mach 1 guys were reporting lots of cracked hoods because the bumpers were set too high. It works, I did it on my GT, and now my Cobra. Of course if it closes too easily, or you can feel some up and down play in the hood when closed you need to turn the rubber bumpers the other way to remove the play.

bob

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by dougwg

It's a mustang thing ;-)

actually nope, my 04 closes very easy. I set it down and allow it to latch and then press down with the palm of my hand and it closes. my 03, I did have to drop it.

mj8

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot tonight. If it doesn't work I guess I will just have to turn my head and let er drop.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by WUTWINE
actually nope, my 04 closes very easy. I set it down and allow it to latch and then press down with the palm of my hand and it closes. my 03, I did have to drop it.
Sounds like maybe the '04 hoods are adjusted differently. My '03 was always hard to close. I just got used to raising it about a foot and letting it drop.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
gonna say I have to drop it at least a foot.
although over time I think the rubber stops have softened or its because its freakn hot in texas. but I dont have to drop it as high (even a foot use to not be enough).

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
BE CAREFULL....my hood got cracked my a tech trying to close the hood by latching it...then pressing with the palm of his hand....I got a nice 6 in crack in the paint.....which the dealer fixed...but it still sucked!

Users who are viewing this thread