Problem when downshifting into 3rd

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I've noticed that downshifting into 3rd gear, from 4th, is difficult. The shifter won't go into 3rd. I have to step on the clutch again and again at different rpm's and jam the shifter into 3rd. Upshifting from 2nd to 3rd is no problem though. Does anyone else have this problem?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Only when I'm going faster than 40mph, otherwise it'll glide right into gear. What speeds are you trying this @? BTW can you clarify the different RPM's statement?

batfat

Established Member
If you have the stock shifter that is the problem. Any good aftermarket will fix it. I put in a Pro 5 Shifter and the adustable handle and it made a tremendous difference.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I had the problem when my car was brand new with the stock shifter and still notice it with a Tri-Ax shifter so I don't think my problem is shifter related. As for rpm's, I recently noticed during experimentation that if I rev the engine with a light blip of the throttle, just at the precise moment before I shift, it will go into 3rd gear relatively easily. What the heck is going on?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> I've noticed that downshifting into 3rd gear, from 4th, is difficult...

Double-declutching into 3rd from a 60+ MPH roll in 4th is a no-brainer. Simply slam the gear at sharp 45° angle towards 1st.

> Any good aftermarket will fix it...

An aftermarket shifter may in fact, exacerbate the condition. 6th to 3rd is the trickiest. More often than not, an aftermarket shifter will guide passive 6th-3rd shifts to 5th. An aggressive 45° shift is required.

EHunt

Established Member
Ive noticed with my Steeda Tri-ax that upshifting from 4th to 3rd...if i push straight up on the shifter it feels like it hits a wall and will not go...but if i push up and to the left slightly it will go right in....maybe try a different technique when pushing up on the shifter

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Thanks for the post guys I thought it was just me. I have the same problem and I too have an aftermarket shifter. The stock shifter just sucks so I'll learn to live with it.

Arthur

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replies. When downshifting from 4th into 3rd, I'll try using a little effort to the left and see if that technique solves my problem.

ADR

Greased Lightning
Established Member
I've read alot of post on the stock shifer not being to good, I'll have to admit when I first got the car it was kind of wierd, but now its fine, I have no problem getting it into any gear, is it that i got lucky or I just don't know any better because I'm kind of new to this so I haven't expierenced changing to after market shifters and stuff.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra
Thanks for the replies. When downshifting from 4th into 3rd, I'll try using a little effort to the left and see if that technique solves my problem.

Just make sure your going into 3rd. I went back into 1st once in my 95 Cobra and it wasn't a pretty picture. I have a tri-ax and its no problem and I shift 3rd upto 90 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread