Problem with Brembo brake lines.

J15BIG

Established Member
So I got the brembo kit installed and I was bleeding them when I realized where the brake lines were. The lines hit the wheels???

SSPX0217.JPG

should I zip tie them out of the way or was I supposed to mount them on the caliper pointing downwards towards the center instead of upwards towards the outside???

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
The lines cannot go on the wrong side - the hard line fittings are different left/right.

As long as the ends are connected to the hard lines following the original routing - that only leaves the banjo fittings on the caliper being oriented incorrectly. They should follow the stock routing.

I have seen some pictures posted - maybe if you search?

J15BIG

Established Member
SSPX0218.JPG

as far as i can see they are router roughly the same way. these pics show two diff sides but still??

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
They probably won't rub when the car is on the ground. I had my car on the lift a month ago giving everything the once over and a freaked out when I saw my SS brake line about a mm from touching the wheel. When the car was on the ground it was fine. I bent it out of the way to be safe, But I need to stick my head back underneath an see if it has made its way back towards the wheel. Only one side had this problem.

I think it was the way the lines were bent in the packaging of the Brembo kit. The line had a "memory" of the bend from sitting in the plastic bag when I installed them.

If you are worried, zip tie it out of the way. If you do this remember to cover the brake line with rubber hose or something to isolate it. If the line rubs a strut body or something metal it will fatigue the line, and the part it is rubbing.

ShelbyGuy: What rotors are those?

Thanks,
Ashley

J15BIG

Established Member
i thought the same thing about the lines not rubbing when the car was on the ground. So i put the wheels on a dropped it. Both sides were rubbing. I tried to bend the lines out of the way but they still moved back. For now I just zip tied the lines to the shock and they seem to be ok. Im going to check every couple days to make sure they havent moved and that they are not rubbing on anything.

shelby guy: I noticed in your pic that the bleeders are on the top of the caliper. mine are on the bottom. wonder why they are different.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
J15BIG said:
shelby guy: I noticed in your pic that the bleeders are on the top of the caliper. mine are on the bottom. wonder why they are different.

You have the calipers on backwards. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. That should solve your problem with the brake lines when you switch them.

The bleeders need to be on the top. The brakes will be much harder to bleed, if not impossible in that configuration.

Last edited:

J15BIG

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
You have the calipers on backwards. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. That should solve your problem with the brake lines when you switch them.

The bleeders need to be on the top. The brakes will be much harder to bleed, if not impossible in that configuration.

Oh thats wonderful. I feel like and idiot. Thanks for letting me know..

jimwood

Established Member
I would just add. If your brake line rubs against your wheel or rim its' not going to fatigue the line it will brake the line quickly. Once that happens you loose all brake power.

This happened to someone at Infineon. The line was fine for the first couple of events, but on the last one going into a turn 12 the line blew out.

If you have any questions that your lines aren't completely clear of the tires, zip tie them for sure.

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
Holy old thread... but I'll add to it.

I have the same problem with the 2000 R kit I just installed on my 04 snake.
The new brakes lines were rubbing the wheels. Yes the calipers are installed in the proper orientation as are the banjo bolts, the brake lines with the kit are simply too long from what I can tell (FRPP M-2300-X).

I have zip tied them to strut for the time being.

They DID wear through the plastic coating on the brake line, but no damage to the metal braiding underneath.

Didn't even think of it when doing the install it all went together so easily.

Rod

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Holy old thread... but I'll add to it.

I have the same problem with the 2000 R kit I just installed on my 04 snake.
The new brakes lines were rubbing the wheels. Yes the calipers are installed in the proper orientation as are the banjo bolts, the brake lines with the kit are simply too long from what I can tell (FRPP M-2300-X).

I have zip tied them to strut for the time being.

They DID wear through the plastic coating on the brake line, but no damage to the metal braiding underneath.

Didn't even think of it when doing the install it all went together so easily.

Rod

You should be able to rotate the brake hose at the banjo bolt and it WILL move out of the way. You'll need to unscrew the banjo bolt slightly in order to do this. Rotate the hose by 45 to 60 degrees and it should be enough to clear the wheel lip.

If there is a block that prevents rotation, you can rotate the SS hose where it connects to the hard line, but you will have to undo the locking bolt slightly in order to relieve contact to allow you to rotate the SS hoses.

Also, contact with the wheel's lip will cause your line to rapture...and you do not want to be nailing any speeds above 30 mph when that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread