problem with nitrous on 01 cobra!!!

dropzoneSVT

Established Member
ok guys help! sat night i had a friend install a bottle warmer for my nitrous express wet kit on my 01 cobra conv't. well he ####ed up and the bottle warmer i guess wouldnt cut itself off at 85 degree's and my bottle pressure went up to 1400psi. well i purged it down to 1000psi and didnt think anything of it for 15 mins or so until i got on the freeway and coming down the ramp i saw an sn95 saleen conv't with double stack wing so i was like "hell yeah!!" well before i could even mess with him he jumped at me. so i flipped the switch and let her rip in 3rd gear and as soon as i did BOOOOOM and flames shot out my hood 2 feet or better, and i babied it to a burger king and popped my hood.... air intake tube is got HUGE hole in it, and upon further inspection i have a cracked intake, as well as my nitrous line blew... what the hell happened? i am spraying a 150 shot and have had no problem with it for 5-6 months now. the pressure in the bottle was at up at 1300 when i checked it again 10 mins later.... i can crank the car up and it idles like i got a huge cam in it??? is the motor blown or what?????? what is ####ed up?

rob
01 cobra conv't
150 shot nitrous express wet kit
3:73 gear
mac cold air
pro chamber offroad h pipe
steeda tri ax shifter

XLR8-R

Established Member
If your intake has a crack or the intake tube after the mass air is broken/leaking, it will run bad because it is getting un-metered air. If it is not knocking, the motor is probably OK. Fix your leaks and try it again. Good Luck!

Carter

Highlander

Established Member
The problem lies in the wet system you are using. Due to the intake design, fuel will puddle in the lower plenum. If you have any kind of hick up at all (looks like you did) it will ignite the fuel that is puddled. And in your case, it cracked the intake and destroyed the intake tube.

My suggestion.

Find a new intake, and intake tube. Make sure the MAF survived. Then sell the NX wet kit and buy a NOS 5171 kit. It is a dry kit and is designed specificaly for DOHC Cobra's.

Bryan

dropzoneSVT

Established Member
i was told when i bought the nx kit that it was only one avaible? and i didnt think you could run dry on dohc? where do i buy,how much and is it online somewhere? also blow96 or anyone can i adapt a 96 dohc blower to my 01 a guy has one for sale for 2800 and it is intercooler included. i think like 9lb sq maybe? how much is it worth ,its got 5k on it. and also is 96 dual throttle body like 99-01?

rob

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by dropzoneSVT
and also is 96 dual throttle body like 99-01?

rob
Spec book says both '96 and '99 use "57mm Twin TB with 80mm MAF", I don't know about the '01...

Good Luck, I'd go with the blower, if it is compatible... Nitrous is for dentists.

/donning the flame suit :-D :burn: :-D)

96blownsvt

Established Member
I don't think you can run a dry kit on returnless fuel system (99 and newer) due to the fact that a dry kit adds fuel through the injectors by increasing fuel pressure via the regulator which returnless systems don't have. They use the computer to increase fuel pressure by increasing voltage to the pump.

FriedRice

Established Member
Originally posted by Highlander
The problem lies in the wet system you are using. Due to the intake design, fuel will puddle in the lower plenum. If you have any kind of hick up at all (looks like you did) it will ignite the fuel that is puddled.

Bryan

That is exactly what happened to this guy in new mexico. He has a 01 cobra saleen convertable(only 25 made) he had a wet kit that puddled up and exploded his uper and lowerintakes,intake tube and blew the crap outa his hood. He is putting on a dry kit after he gets it fixed.

96blownsvt

Established Member
DRY KIT

DROP ZONE SVT,

I FOUND OUT , AFTER MY POST, ABOUT THE DRY BEING UNAVAILIBLE, DUE TO RETURNLESS FUEL SYSTEM ON 99@NEWER
THANKS TO CARTER ONE OF MY RACE BUDDY'S(XLR8-R).
BUT I DO KNOW THAT, 950PSI IS PLENTY FOR THE NOS, ANYTHING MORE IS DANGEROUS, 1060PSI THE SOLENOID SHOULDN'T OPEN, BUT SOMETIMES THEY DO, AND THATS WHEN YOUR PLAYING WITH FIRE!! BTW HOW MUCH FOR THE AFTER COOLER ON THAT KIT YOU KNOW ABOUT!

GOOD LUCK
JAMES :p

Users who are viewing this thread