Problem....

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
So, I was driving on the highway in 6th gear, and I approached a downward hill. I put it into neutral so I dont waste gas, but all of a sudden, my rpms fluctuated like crazy from 100-750rpm, and stalled while I was going 60mph. I pulled off and restarted the card, and all seemed well, but it happened again on a off ramp:??:. This happened 3 times so far, and started happening a few days ago. I recently installed a FIPK with the MAF at 10 o'clock position with no tune about 4-5 weeks ago. Is this stalling caused by a leak? or is it something more? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

spincobra03

Established Member
So, I was driving on the highway in 6th gear, and I approached a downward hill. I put it into neutral so I dont waste gas, but all of a sudden, my rpms fluctuated like crazy from 100-750rpm, and stalled while I was going 60mph. I pulled off and restarted the card, and all seemed well, but it happened again on a off ramp:??:. This happened 3 times so far, and started happening a few days ago. I recently installed a FIPK with the MAF at 10 o'clock position with no tune about 4-5 weeks ago. Is this stalling caused by a leak? or is it something more? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

If you have an 03 you will need to get your car reflashed because you installed that k&n. I owned two 03's and once I installed the filter, my car would stall out, I would loose power steering. It would stall out when putting the car in neutral, it is very dangerous and scary. Once you get your car tuned or reflashed you will be fine. I called Dan at pro-dyno in south carolina and he fixed me right up over the phone. Give him a buzz, he will take care of you.

03cobrah

Established Member
If you have an 03 you will need to get your car reflashed because you installed that k&n. I owned two 03's and once I installed the filter, my car would stall out, I would loose power steering. It would stall out when putting the car in neutral, it is very dangerous and scary. Once you get your car tuned or reflashed you will be fine. I called Dan at pro-dyno in south carolina and he fixed me right up over the phone. Give him a buzz, he will take care of you.

that makes sense shit like that has been happening to me after i installed jlt cai with k&n filter in the fenderwell

spincobra03

Established Member
that makes sense shit like that has been happening to me after i installed jlt cai with k&n filter in the fenderwell

Yup, it happens to alot of people with 03's I believe 04's have the updated flash so this issue doesnt occur.

Black Sex

Established Member
Yup, it happens to alot of people with 03's I believe 04's have the updated flash so this issue doesnt occur.

My 04 has done it to me at the track. After I crossed the line, pushed in the clutch and it just died. It did it to me 2 or 3 times. This was after my tune and haven't added any new parts :shrug:

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
Hmmm...Interesting...I wonder if I have a vacuum leak of some sort? I have a 03, so I was going to put it back to stock...but I did put the FIPK at the 10 o'clock position, and disconnected the battery...it ran fine for 3 weeks or so without this happening...then all of a sudden, 2-3 days ago it happened for the first time

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
I was having this problem after I installed a JLT High Boost CAI on my 04. My tuner changed the tune once, but the problem still persisted. However, when I had my headers installed I had the car retuned and the problem went away. I don't know what was causing the problem but I'm sure glad it is gone...:shrug:

spincobra03

Established Member
My 04 has done it to me at the track. After I crossed the line, pushed in the clutch and it just died. It did it to me 2 or 3 times. This was after my tune and haven't added any new parts :shrug:

That sounds like a different problem all together, im not saying it cant happen to 04's, I just havent heard of it.

To the OP, call a tuner and tell them whats going on with the car, they will help you.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I've got a K&N FIPK in my car now and I don't have that issue, but am wanting to put a JLT RAI in, I won't have to retune again will I?

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
Either way, my brother (DSM guy) and I will trial and error it...I will check for a few things over the course of a week and let you guys know if I find anything...It could be a vacuum leak, it could be a sensor that is going bad, I have no idea what it could be. But I will check back and let you guys know if I find a way of fixing it...because this problem is dangerous.

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
This is interesting for sure. I have a JLT RAI and never had the problem.. but I installed my exhaust the same day, so maybe that had something to do with it. Who knows

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I don't have a fix for the problem but, I think Ford might have a little problem. I bought a new Buillt in 01 and almost eveytime I got off the hwy. and pulled it out of gear (at 45mph-55mph) coming to a stop it would die, sometimes the A/C would be on. Occasionally the samething happens with the Cobra and I drive a 06 Focus daily and it has done the samething...:shrug:

spincobra03

Established Member
I've got a K&N FIPK in my car now and I don't have that issue, but am wanting to put a JLT RAI in, I won't have to retune again will I?

If you get your car reflashed or tuned by a tuner, it doesnt matter which aftermarket intake you use with the exception on the JLT HIGH BOOST INTAKE, I believe that one requires a new MASS AIR SENSOR. The other JLT intake kits are fine. The problem doesnt happen to all 03's but when it does happen and needs to be addressed. What I would do if I were some of you would be go to a tuner, get a pulley setup and a hand held tuner, let them tune your car, and the problem will be fixed. You wont have to worry about your car staling out at 50MPH!!! and loosing power steering!! And IMO you wont really gain anything by switching to the JLT as opposed to the K&N, to me thats a lateral move and would be a waste of money. Good luck

Last edited:

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member
I experienced the same problem with my 2V when it was in my car, I had a bad Idle Air Control (IAC) valve was sticking so I cleaned it out with some carb cleaner. It worked for a about 6 months then it just went out completely and I had to replace it. No more problems with the stalling when coming down to idle. Not sure if anyone else has tried this but it is just an idea. :shrug: :poke:

spincobra03

Established Member
I experienced the same problem with my 2V when it was in my car, I had a bad Idle Air Control (IAC) valve was sticking so I cleaned it out with some carb cleaner. It worked for a about 6 months then it just went out completely and I had to replace it. No more problems with the stalling when coming down to idle. Not sure if anyone else has tried this but it is just an idea. :shrug: :poke:

Well it sounds like the problem they are describing which was happening to me is if your going 40mph and you have to put it into neutral for some reason the car falls on its face. I REALLY dont think its a mechanical problem from what the OP is describing but only time will tell I guess.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

These cars are starting to get old, have any of you guys tried to pull codes???

An 03 that hasn't had the stall flashed out by now, I would think, would be quite a rarity.

Having an IAC go bad on a 7 year old car is a fairly high probability.

Coderedsaleen

GTPerformance
Established Member

An 03 that hasn't had the stall flashed out by now, I would think, would be quite a rarity.

I never received a code for it, so I took it to the dealer to find out why it was stalling when ever I pushed in the clutch as I came to a stop light. They told me that Ford was having a problem with these sticking. My car is a 2001 and I took it to the dealer in 2003, it was under warranty so they replaced it saving me I think at the time $200 dollars.
It is easy to check if it is sticking or not. Just unbolt it from the intake and see if you can move the plunger inside. If not just clean all the gunk from it and it should be okay or you may need a new one. :shrug:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I'm still on a stock tune with jlt's RAI and magnaflow CB, have had these modes on the car for 3 years 8 k miles, mind you the car just rollled over the 15k mark. no stall here

spincobra03

Established Member

I would agree but if the OP's car was stock its entire life I can see it happening no? I agree with your larger point, its rare to have a car that hasnt been flashed but im sure they are out there.

Users who are viewing this thread