Problems after roush kit install

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Alright fellas, I got my car back from having a roush tvs kit last night. I'm throwing cam position sensor codes and the guy who installed it doesn't see why it should be happening. I've messaged my tuner but I don't expect an answer over the weekend and I'm hoping for some insight. Only thing installer could guess was that voltage to them might be affected by how he tied in the water pump for heat exchanger, but he followed the roush instructions so that shouldn't be an issue.
IMG_8833.JPG

fishpick

Established Member
Was the kit the only thing done or did he do OPG's too?

If he followed the instructions could he have either made a mistake with pinning the PCM? Or - could one of the PCM plugs NOT be fully seated?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Fishpick, no timing components or opg were done. He seems pretty knowledgeable and thorough so I sure hope everything is plugged in correctly. I made a similar post in a coyote FB group and was led to believe that it is possibly tune related and can be fixed accordingly.

Another suggestion was to do kam reset and crank relearn, I've done kam but saw no reason to do crank relearn however I will do that tomorrow when I get home and hope I wake up to a message from tuner. If that doesn't work out a friend of mine knows someone who does wiring for Ford and I will ask him to look over the work

fishpick

Established Member
Fishpick, no timing components or opg were done. He seems pretty knowledgeable and thorough so I sure hope everything is plugged in correctly. I made a similar post in a coyote FB group and was led to believe that it is possibly tune related and can be fixed accordingly.

Another suggestion was to do kam reset and crank relearn, I've done kam but saw no reason to do crank relearn however I will do that tomorrow when I get home and hope I wake up to a message from tuner. If that doesn't work out a friend of mine knows someone who does wiring for Ford and I will ask him to look over the work

You can check the PCM plugs to make sure they are seated...
Also - is your battery charging?
Somewhere someone said these sensor readings can be bogus if the battery charge is off...

I can't imagine a kit tune would throw codes like this - but could be wrong!
Any chance the tune didn't get flashed on? A blower on a no-blower tuned car will raid holy hell... but if it runs - it's likely got the tune ;)

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
You can check the PCM plugs to make sure they are seated...
Also - is your battery charging?
Somewhere someone said these sensor readings can be bogus if the battery charge is off...

I can't imagine a kit tune would throw codes like this - but could be wrong!
Any chance the tune didn't get flashed on? A blower on a no-blower tuned car will raid holy hell... but if it runs - it's likely got the tune ;)

I wouldn't say the car is running, more so dragging along. Just to be safe after I got down the road.. I updated my x4 handheld, deleted the calibration from it and reinstalled it myself. Flashed back to stock, then re-uploaded. The pcm plugs you describe are simply under the hood into the pcm I assume?

I haven't had any issues with power, but I also read (on a 3v forum that popped up during search) the alternator has caused these codes so that is something to look into if this isn't resolved otherwise. Thanks for the replies btw

fishpick

Established Member
I wouldn't say the car is running, more so dragging along. Just to be safe after I got down the road.. I updated my x4 handheld, deleted the calibration from it and reinstalled it myself. Flashed back to stock, then re-uploaded. The pcm plugs you describe are simply under the hood into the pcm I assume?

I haven't had any issues with power, but I also read (on a 3v forum that popped up during search) the alternator has caused these codes so that is something to look into if this isn't resolved otherwise. Thanks for the replies btw

No problem - hope we get it figured out!

So the PCM is at the left in the front of your engine bay, to the left of the radiator. There are 3 plugs on it from top to bottom. Your installer would have added a pin and spliced a wire in there as well as part of the install.

These plugs have gray "levers" that "pull" the plug into all the pins on the PCM. It's possible that one of these isn't seated correctly causing the error you see.

Is the tune the one that came with the kit or is it a tune built by someone for you?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
I know exactly where you're talking about then, just making sure there's no other far off connections. I'll be home to check those in about 12 hours.

This was built for me as a base tune to datalog by a very reputable tuner. I've emailed him but being that it's the weekend I expected to wait until Monday for a reply so I figured I'd be proactive about it

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Just to update here, tuner suggested I keep researching.

I've dug a little bit and it seems these 4 codes may have something to do with the charging system not working up to par. The 3v/5.4 Ford cars seem to have a TSB for this exact issue.

I'll be able to get the alternator tested in a few days and see what happens.

Fishpick, the pcm connectors were in well (phew)

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
Figured I'd come and update now that I found my issue. The installer pinned into the incorrect ecu plug, which just so happened to be the cam position sensor wires. Diagram shows the pins used. I traced them and drew on the paper with a pen for cut wires
6f114e3e38b3e44f71782ef3db97156f.jpg
c9fa410d7c870994a1cdf54f23e52745.jpg

hand-filer

Established Member
Glad to hear you got it fixed. These kits are very straightforward to install but I can see how someone can make this mistake.

blownbrainmustang

Established Member
It happens, thanks for the suggestions fishpick. Glad it was easy enough to figure out. The car works great, already started datalogging now for the updated tunes

Users who are viewing this thread