problems pulling 97 cobra motor wont come out

8tang

Established Member
i am pulling my motor out of my 97 cobra and i got every thing unhooked and it wont come out, it has a gap between the tranny and block so i know i didnt forget any bolts, it will come up a little bit and move around but wont come up and forward any more, any ideas?

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
Well i don't know what to tell you man except if everything is off it should come out no problem. Just check all your bases. And why did you post this like 15 times?

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
For some reason, you've been very pissed recently :dw:

AZSnake98 said:
take the ****ing tranny out first... for gods sake... its what... 8 extra bolts...?

Are you sure you disconnected EVERYTHING?? get under the car with a flashlight and check everything twice

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I had this in one of the other posts ...

A lot of posts ... LOL

Just for conversation: motor mounts disconnected? Exhaust system interferring with lifting engine?

There shouldn't be a gap between the block and the trans, but between the bell housing and the block. Haven't pulled this exact motor, but I would pull the trans & drive shaft first, then the engine & bell housing (if clearance permits), or the bell housing and then the engine.

FWIW Pull the driveshaft out, and stuff a rag into the rear of the trans - that'll keep the fluid from running out. Once you have the trans on the ground, and level, it'll stop trying to run out!! Simple.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
check to see if its hooked onto heater core outlets. also, double check behind the intake and make sure the IMRC plug is unplugged. its easy to miss.

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
Quick96Mystic said:
For some reason, you've been very pissed recently :dw:

Are you sure you disconnected EVERYTHING?? get under the car with a flashlight and check everything twice

Yea... someone stole my 90,000 miniature snickers bars I bought on ebay for 10.00. I'm pretty heated.

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
I had this same problem when I pulled mine. There is a separator plate that is in between the bell housing and the transmission. There are a couple of pins on the block that mate to the bell housing and can get hung up with the separator plate. I had to reach in both the driver and passenger wheel well and use a pry bar to gently push the bell housing and engine apart.

The pins are only about 3/8 of an inch so it won't take much. The separator plate is a thin steel plate that has holes in it for the pins - they can get hung up on these pins - if you can focus on getting those pins clear of the bellhousing and the separator plate you are golden.

Let me know if you need pics. I mangled my separator plate real good getting mine out - now I know!

Users who are viewing this thread