Problems with heads/cams

flashlight

Established Member
I replaced the heads on my motor with 04 romeo heads. Left them stock. Wanted the 04's for the 8 thread sparkplug holes. Put the stock windsor cams on them. When I started it. It was tapping/ticking on the left side. Pulled the valvecover off. Had my brother try to start it while I watched. the sprocket on the cam was turning but the cam was not. It was turning while it was ticking. It sounded like it running on all 8. i used this thread to time the cams.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/lightning/147206-how-5-4-engine-assembly-photos-5.html

I know you can put romeo heads on a windsor motor. Is there any problem with putting windsor cams on romeo heads? Anyother ideas on what would stop the cams. I was told they are 0 interferace motors. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

yadisisp6

Banned
You put the sprocket on the cam groove, right? And tightened the bolt? If so, there's no way the sprocket would only move.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Did you use stock cams and gears? If so they are pressed on, and do not have a keyway/woodruff key. How tight did you torque the cam bolt down to? Did you use loctite? FFS

flashlight

Established Member
Yes I used the stock windsor cams. I never took the sprockets off of them. If your asking what I tightened the caps that hold the cam down to. I have no idea and no I did not used locktite.

Last edited:

lowandslow

Established Member
Divide the inch pounds by 12 will equal foot pounds. 72-106 is app6 to 9 ft lbs.
So you put on different heads with the old cams, due you still have the old heads to look at the springs? Did the cam caps go back in the same place? Just some thoughts.

flashlight

Established Member
Yes the caps went back in the same place. they have to with romeo heads.
They are tied together were there are 2 peices on each head.

Users who are viewing this thread