Problems with intercooler pump

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
Mine has been acting up lately, in fact it has from time to time quit working. I have replaced the pump, but somehow it is getting trapped air inside and causing the pump to stop. It seems to only happen after running it hot, stopping and when I turn on the manule switch it locks up. If I open the top and let the air out, and drive it around it will start again. I was think maybe it's the cap leaking but not sure...........any ideas out there?????:??:

Silver 03 Cobra

What size pulleys are you running?

Mark has a 2.80 upper and six pound lower and his boils over pretty bad once and awhile. I think it is generating too much heat and it's bloiling as the coolant passes through the intercooler. That could cause some trapped air I think. Maybe switching to Water Wetter would help. I run it in mine with no antifreeze although I will have to add some this winter. It will reduce boiling.

Silver 03 Cobra

I installed a chiller on my 03 and I had a hard time priming it. Check your hose clamps especially on the exit side of the intercooler to the pump. If it can suck a small amount of air and you will lose prime and it may not even leak since that side is pulling a vacuum. If you have gotten any air in it it is hard to get it primed.

chillfactor

2-BADSVTS
Established Member
OK ....now I got some where to start. This is so crazy trying to find the problem. BTW I have a KB running 17 PSIs, I also have fans on the heat exchanger and I think they maybe hooked up backwards........

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Check the fans, but that shouldn't be enough to lock up the pump. Also if you rewired the pump check the polarity make sure it's spinning the right way.

Silver 03 Cobra

One other thing you could check. The relay could be bad. It's in a little black enclosure up on the top edge in the middle of the fender on the passenger side of the engine bay. I doubt a new one would cost much. I'd swap it out if I couldn't find anything else.

coleman

Established Member
chillfactor, my intercooler reservior overflows at times (high RPMs) ... maybe i have the same problem!

CuLaTeR

Established Member
Originally posted by chillfactor
Mine has been acting up lately, in fact it has from time to time quit working. I have replaced the pump, but somehow it is getting trapped air inside and causing the pump to stop. It seems to only happen after running it hot, stopping and when I turn on the manule switch it locks up. If I open the top and let the air out, and drive it around it will start again. I was think maybe it's the cap leaking but not sure...........any ideas out there?????:??:

Ok I have had this happen to me. The dealership told me that the intercooler and radiator caps on our cars are sometimes the wrong caps. My intercooler was always overflowing. They ordered me the proper caps for my car which in turn fixed the overflowing problems.

coleman

Established Member
my dealership replaced the intercooler reservior cap with a 16# radiator cap and it still over flows at times.

how can i tell if the intercooler pump is running correctly? maybe it's only running at less than full potential because it has some air in the system?!?

Users who are viewing this thread