problem's with MGW shifter

MIKEC501

Established Member
I just put in a new mgw shifter with a cobrabobs gasket and it is now makeing all kinds of whineing noises that it didn't before. it shift's nice and smooth but the noise in very anoying. is there anything I can try to fix it before I put the stock one back in? thanks :mj:

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Mine was loud when I first put it in....but it seems to have gone away.
....or I'm just used to it by now.

MikeW

Established Member
Humm somethings up... My MGW with CB gasket has not made a peep ever.

Did you take the stops all the way out? Not sure what in the shifter could make a whineing noise.

Call MGW they answered a few of my questions very fast.

Good luck

MIKEC501

Established Member
yes I left the stops out. and I have read alot of mixed reveiws about this shifter. but I just thought I would give it a try.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
my transmission sounds like a 1940's geared head engine lathe spinning at about 1200 rpms, has the same amount of backlash as said lathe also :xpl:

If installed *correctly* its not possible for either of these aftermarket parts to cause noise, one of the aftermarket parts has even been shown to lower noise ?
Dont take a brain surgeon to install either its 10 bolts (loosen-tighten) and some trim clips (snap-click).

The sock shifter; now there is a chinsy piece, stamped steel base :rolleyes:

MikeW

Established Member
MIKEC501 said:
yes I left the stops out. and I have read alot of mixed reveiws about this shifter. but I just thought I would give it a try.

If you want to swap it for a Tri-ax with an adjustable MGW handle then I will swap ya even :idea:

MIKEC501

Established Member
97topless snake said:
If you want to swap it for a Tri-ax with an adjustable MGW handle then I will swap ya even :idea:

thanks I will keep that in mind. but I might just stick the stock shifter back in and try an sell the mgw to get some of my money back. I am not sure what I want to do right now. :shrug:

MikeW

Established Member
Yeah try the stock one.. I am wondering if the sound will go away or not once the stocker is back in.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
MIKEC501 said:

A lot of mixed reviews? I've read dozens and dozens of reviews and I'm pretty sure that this is the first one where I've ever heard anything negative about it. I think there's a reason why probably a minimum of 75% of all terminator owners opt for this shifter. :shrug:

For the record, the Pro 5.0 in my 01GT had gear whine, particularly when engine braking. The MGW combines the short throws of the Pro 5.0 with a much smoother action, and virtually no noise (at least in my case). It represents the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

MIKEC501

Established Member
T.O.Snake said:
A lot of mixed reviews? I've read dozens and dozens of reviews and I'm pretty sure that this is the first one where I've ever heard anything negative about it. I think there's a reason why probably a minimum of 75% of all terminator owners opt for this shifter. :shrug:

For the record, the Pro 5.0 in my 01GT had gear whine, particularly when engine braking. The MGW combines the short throws of the Pro 5.0 with a much smoother action, and virtually no noise (at least in my case). It represents the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned.

well keep reading they are out there. I didn't say a lot I just said mixed.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I had a triax in my 02 GT and it was pretty noisy. I have the MGW in the cobra and its more quiet than the stock shifter. No complaints here. I also installed the cobra bob shifter gasket at the same time.

spinscan

Established Member
I went from the stock shifter (not good) to a triax with mgw handle (good-but noisy) to the mgw shifter. They all make some noise, with the triax being the loudest. I don't remember how noisy the stock shifter was, I just remember it not shifting very good, especially from 2nd-3rd.

I would guess that if a poll were taken of people who have the Mgw that greater than 95% are happy with it and wouldn't switch. That is pretty damn good imo.

Like others have said, I would give Mgw a call and see if they can help you out.

ViciousJay

Established Member
swap it back on and see if theres noise... if the noise is still evident then you have a trans problem, if there isnt noise then leave it the way it is... honestly all after market shifters are a bit noisy, so have loud exhaust and cant notice it others like your self can... is there any evidence of grinding? shifting smoothness... ??

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
With ANY aftermarket shifter, you will hear gear noise and backlash.

The MGW is by far the quietest and smoothest.

Also, you may want to consider sticking a piece of Dynamat on top of the tunnel in the shifter area.

I'm running the Cobrabob/MGW and its a good bit quieter than the TriAx I had. There is some limited feedback but nothing horrid.

Frankly if you can hear the gear whine your exhaust isn't loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread