Problems with the FRPS?

OnceBitten

Established Member
Tuesday I was driving home in the Cobra and when I pulled out onto the main highway, I snatched second and third. At about 5500 rpm in 3rd, the car stumbled badly, the SES light came on, and I shut it down. I coasted to a stop, and when I tried to crank the car again, it fired up, but acted very sluggish as if the timing was backed down badly. It wouldn't idle well, and after stumbling for a few seconds at idle, would simply die.

I pulled the codes and got a P1000, P0190, and P0234. From what I've gathered searching the forums here, the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor might have gotten damaged somehow. I bought a new FRPS Wednesday to try and fix the issue. I installed the new FRPS, and now instead of misfiring or stumbling under load, it cranked once and ran like it was on 5 cylinders, and now won't crank at all.

I pulled the FRPS and there is gas in the vacuum line...cleaned off the new FRPS and blew into the fuel rail end, and sure enough, blows right out the vacuum tee. Obviously I have a defective (or previously used) FRPS. Could this have done any damage to the car? I'm hoping that it won't start because it's flooded the cylinders and soaked the plugs.

If I can't figure this out this weekend, I'll be taking it to the dealership, where hopefully they will cover it under warranty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
As you said, you got a bad replacement part.
I would try it once more. Take the "new" one back and get one that works.
Then I would suggest dropping the oil & filter because you may have gotten some fuel into the crankcase. I would also pull the plugs and take a look at them because of the miss you reported. Replace the plugs if they look bad.
They are probably just wet from the excessive amount of fuel that was delivered to them and will probably clear up after a few seconds of normal operation, but if in doubt, just replace them.
It should be ok after that.

Dana

OnceBitten

Established Member
Dana:

Thanks for the reply. I also figure that a new FRPS (non-defective this time) might clear up the problem, but I'm worried that there might be something else as well such as a driver or fuel pump, so I'm having it fixed under warranty to be on the safe side. I should have the car back in a day or two, so I'll post up what it turned out to be.

Jeff

OnceBitten

Established Member
Looks like it was the FRPS and nothing else. They haven't called me yet to say it's ready, but I called a buddy of mine who was working on the car up there and he said it's fixed and I should be able to pick it up first thing in the morning. I'm just glad it wasn't anything major...

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
I hate to bring a dead thread up, but my Mach is having similar problems or at least it's running like it's on 5 cylinders. Does anyone know if we share the same Fuel pressure sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread