ProCal Impressions

konakush

Established Member
Car: 2012 GT Premium, Roush Axleback, FRPP ProCal, 6MT, 3.73 -- Had the ProCal installed almost a week ago so I've put 250 miles on it.

Fuel: "No name" Ethanol-free E0, 93 octane (about $3.75/gal versus Shell $3.30/gal, I used to drive big turbo VWs so I've been using this fuel a while)

ProCal Settings: Octane Adjust NO, correct tire/gear

Car's goal: Daily driver, it's my only car (for now, thinking about a $2000 Civic for the winter...) I might take it to MIR or Hallett one day, but not anytime soon. This is my first >400hp car AND my first RWD car.

Impressions:

WOT: Feels great. I don't hear any pinging or odd noises. I've tried 1000RPM 3rd gear pulls and heard nothing but the sweet roar of a V8. Butt dyno says it's stronger throughout the midrange. Spins tires through 2nd gear now where it wouldn't before, shifting into 3rd can get the rear end slightly loose as well. The power is noticeable.

City driving: Blowing stop signs is now possible in 3rd gear (it was before but you'd get the gear lash noise from being too low in the RPM range) -- there's a shitload more torque from 1500-2000, as claimed.

Situational stuff:

6th gear 50MPH (say interstate slows for a moment) -- there's less of a need to downshift.

6th gear 40MPH (cruising on a longer drive on a backroad) -- same deal. Less of a need to downshift unless you're hooning.

Would I purchase again? Yep. Unless I move or that gas station closes I'll always have E0 93 octane and Ford engineer's said that was the most optimal gas for their tune.

I know I can literally do no more power mods (Except roush CAI or airraid with insert -- PASS, and maybe the Ford/Corsa X-Pipe) but that doesn't really matter to me. This is a daily driver and a weekend fun car. If more power ever matters to me and I have a spare car I'll just supercharge it.

I've got Eibach Pro System (springs+dampers) I'm putting on next week and after wheels I'll be really happy.

Last edited:

Zevox

Established Member
FRPP tune was a good investment for me, too. I didn't think it did that much until I pushed my car hard. At around 5000rpm in 1st gear my start to break loose and spin. Pretty crazy feeling... From a dig I just can't hook until like 3rd. I'm sure compared to a real tune this is nothing but without tires or suspension mods I don't know how people are planting the power their tuned car makes.

Glad you're happy with your purchase, I know I am! Would I do it over again? Maybe... it would depend if I wanted to keep some semblance of a warranty. If you want a mild over stock tune that makes the car more fun, and arguably easier to drive, with warranty in mind you can't go wrong with the FRPP tune.

konakush

Established Member
Well ofcourse. But what is the logic behind it though.

I've always seen a good fuel mileage increase but the main reason I was using it before was I didn't have an E85 tune and was running a 28RS on a 2.0T. It seemed to prefer that fuel over any that had ethanol.

Zevox

Established Member
How do you like it with the airraid and xpipe?

Hard to say if I had any performance gains. My butt dyno doesn't feel a difference and the only track numbers I have is before the mods on a new 1/8th track.

Noise on the other hand is like a joygasm for your ears. That Airaid intake sounds really good. The X pipe and resonator deletes actually quieted down my exhaust but made it sound better. Next mod will be louder exhaust for sure.

mystickb1996

Established Member
So is all in all is the procal worth it? Iv always done sct tunes in the past but with only 1700 miles on my 2014 I really don't want warranty issues... Does anyone have track or dyno experience with procal?

Zevox

Established Member
I ran door to door with a 2013 GT manual with 3.31's, a Bama tune, JLT intake, custom catbacks, I'm pretty sure O/R X(I'm pretty sure because his YouTube vids claim he has it but he didn't tell me), boss 302 take off suspension, and drag wheels with slicks. All I had done at the time was my FRPP tune and axle backs. This was in the street though, so take it for what that's worth.

A few races he pulled me when we shifted since his shorter tires put our shift timing close. I had traction issues off the line on the dig races but he never beat me by more than a nose. Well except when I missed 3rd, but still I was at his bumper.

konakush

Established Member
I think the ProCal is worth if if it's a daily driver or you don't have $8,000 sitting around.

I'm really happy with it.

Zevox - You running the KN filter or factory Ford? I'd prefer to use the factory filter... oil and MAF etc

As far as track experience, more than 1 manual driver has broken into the 11s. That's fast enough for me.

Last edited:

Zevox

Established Member
I was running the K&N drop in because the dealership just put it in when they installed the tune. If I hadn't spent an hour arguing over labor cost that was three times higher than it was supposed to be I would have said something about it. After all that was done they charged me a disposal fee of like $10 to get rid of the stock paper filter I wanted to keep anyway...

But thats in the past! Running the Airaid no tune CAI now. Like I said earlier, I don't have dyno numbers or track numbers so I couldn't tell you of actual gains. Everyone said it would be a waste of money but I paid around $280 for it new and if I switch to a custom tune it'll be worth it.

Edit- I am running the synthamax dry filter in my Airaid though.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Regardless of peoples opinion that the Procal is waste, I can say different.

My car ran 12.90@ 109mph stock w/ 3.73's on Pirelli All seasons. My car is a loaded premium and no weight reduction for any runs.

I ran a 12.40 @ 115mph with the addition of the Procal on the same tires back in spring. Weather and DA was a little better but nothing earth shattering (around 1000ft).

I recently went 12.36 @ 112mph with no changes other than a wheel/tire set up and worse weather conditions. Temp was close to 90* and DA at 1700ft+. Probably a better comparison to the stock times, however the new tire set up was requiring a shift to 5th which probably hurt the mph.

On a 28" tire with cooler weather, I feel the car could touch 11's on a perfect run. My best 60' on street tires is a 1.85, so dropping that to 1.6's and not having to shift to 5th would put me close.

AFGuy0127

Established Member
For those of you that have this, I'm curious about one thing. With the Procal, does it have the ability to compensate for a CEL if you have a high flow xpipe? I'm planning on doing that to mine (not even a month old '14 GT), but I don't want to if I'm going to be driving around with the CEL light on all the time. I don't want to get a custom tune because I'd like to keep the factory warranty in place. This car is my DD, but I plan on having fun with it as well.

*edit* Nevermind, I found what I was looking for. Looks like I should be ok with high flow cats. But, if anyone does have an issue with the CEL and high flows, I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited:

scotmach

Established Member
High flow cats may still trip a CEL which would require you to turn off your rear o2's. Something the Pro Cal cannot do.

Users who are viewing this thread