Procharged Cobra Cutting Out!! HELP

SVT-chris

Established Member
Hey guys, had a bit of a problem today. Took the P1 Procharged '99 cobra out for a spin and with 4 people in the car and no hood (old one sold, new cowl should be in next week) the damn thing kept cutting out on me whenever I floored it. It's like 47* out now, so I'm not exactly sure what happened? Was it the extra weight, lack of hood causing too much air to get in (my intakes a POS anyway) or is my tune just junk? The car has never done this to me before, and I did get it to run all the way through third once but only when I went pretty much half throttle through 5K then hit it

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
A. have you had it tuned yet?
B. what fuel mods did you do?
C. what is your fuel pressure?

weight has nothing to do with it- you could be running lean due to no hood factor but-don't know where your air filter is, and don't know what your A/F ratio is.

SVT-chris

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the car has been dyno tuned before, and I would also assume that fuel mods have been done, but then again I bought this car already done and the previous owner did as well so neither of us have too many details other than what is clearly visable. The air filter is right behind the passenger headlight, its a pretty beat up K&N

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the car has been dyno tuned before, and I would also assume that fuel mods have been done, but then again I bought this car already done and the previous owner did as well so neither of us have too many details other than what is clearly visable. The air filter is right behind the passenger headlight, its a pretty beat up K&N

get it tuned- make sure you have the appropriate mods to your fuel system- come back after- don't do anything else- do this first- dont' do any more WOT pulls

01yellercobra

Established Member
get it tuned- make sure you have the appropriate mods to your fuel system- come back after- don't do anything else- do this first- dont' do any more WOT pulls

+1

You might have had some safety gap in there if the weather was warmer previously. But when it cools down you get more air into the motor which could lean it out. Change your plugs before going to the dyno.

SVT-chris

Established Member
Hey guys, brought the car into MPE Racing today, the fuel pressure was fluttering a bit and the gap on the plugs was at about 36. They re gapped the plugs and cleared some water out that had gotten into the plug area, so far its running much better. Going on the Dyno tommorw if they have an opening.

matt87

Established Member
did you wash the engine recently? what a noob mistake if you did! lol! hope it runs better for ya Chris.

SVT-chris

Established Member
haha yeah I did Matt! It was loaded with water... Still no tune, we drove there but MPE was too busy today... Grabbed a vid on the way back though, seems to be running better

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2nVxJanCE"]YouTube - Procharged Cobra 1st-4th[/nomedia]

matt87

Established Member
wash sure. take it easy soaking the coil covers, duh!

matt87

Established Member
rubber seals? well how did the water get there? osmsosis!?! lol! look its ok to clean the engine. i spray mine down with a 50/50 mix of water and simple green then i rinse with a fine misty spray. i dont use a powerwasher or even a regular garden hose at full power. if you force the water, it will get through the coil covers !

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
rubber seals? well how did the water get there? osmsosis!?! lol! look its ok to clean the engine. i spray mine down with a 50/50 mix of water and simple green then i rinse with a fine misty spray. i dont use a powerwasher or even a regular garden hose at full power. if you force the water, it will get through the coil covers !

this is correct- I thought you meant to never wash by any means

Bad99SVT

Insane SVT Poster
Established Member
When you all wash your engines do you just spray them with some cleaner and rinse them or do you use a brush of some sort to scrub on it then rinse it off? Just curious? thanks

matt87

Established Member
i always dampen the engine first. some cleaners are stronger than others and may put a white hazy stain on some painted parts. i like to use a damp cloth to wipe and grease or dirt.

Users who are viewing this thread