Procharger and Kenne Bell guys...Muchas-Helpas

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Procharger and Kenne Bell guys...please help

Hey guys..newbie here,
I have a 98 cobra with the only mods being Bassani o/r X and Borla side-exhaust. ( 3.73 or 4.10's coming soon...not sure if 4.10's would be too low with a blower??)
I am having a hard time deciding between a Kenne Bell 1500 (6 lb.) with a boost-a-pump....and a Procharger (6 lb.) with a 2 core intercooler (not the self-contained one, I have heard about too many replaced seals) I will have the car custom tuned, dynoed, and chipped regardless of which one I go with.
This is my garage kept, weekend driven baby and the #1 factor is to keep my motor SAFE and detonation free....PERIOD. I was set on a procharger but the chrome Kenne Bell is sweet-looking as he**, alot easier to install, and I have heard it cant be beat for fun and instant boost on the street.
Unless I am mistaken, they both will add 40-50 % (or 90-100 h.p.) but which one would have the lower track times? The procharger is supposed to run the 1/4 on my car in 12.9 (stock w/3.73 and street tires). I dont know about the Kenne Bell.
Anyone running the Kenne Bell on a 96-98 SVT with some insight or track times.
My goal (eventually) is to have primarily a "corner carving street car " that can still lay down a 11.99 1/4 mile to whip some LT-1 ass.

Sorry for the 1 meeeeellion questions...ANY thoughts ???

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Last edited:

Blown306

Established Member
I would say the Kenne Bell is the way to go (although I'm slightly biased :rolling: )

1. Contstant and linear boost from 2000 rpm to redline (not RPM dependent)
2. Much much easier to install
3. You won't need 4.10's...3.73's would be fine (see point #1)
4. Whisper quiet stealth/sleeper operation
5. No intercooler
6. Much more streetable than a centrifical style (see point #1 again)
7. GOBS of low end torque (#1 one more time)

CONS
1. No intercooler (difficult to tune)
2. Whisper quiet (I think SC whine is the stuff)
3. Expensive

Just my $.02 worth...

new_engine_in_car6.jpg

98 Yeller' SVT

Perpetual bottle filler
Established Member
Dude, that's one bad-a** T-Bird !
Thanks for the input..just so I can eventually run 11's with gears, nittos, and a few induction parts (cold-air, thrott.body, and MAF)..I'm cool, I still want to keep the car streetable and retain (most) of its good manners. 11's is fast enough to smoke every lt-1 and ls-1 out there.
I am looking for a dyno tuner with exp. in K/B's though, there is a place called Kennedys in N.Y. but Id like to find somewhere closer to TN.
Do you know anyone that has this setup on a 96-98 Cobra, whattya think a 6 pounder with 3.73's and Nittos would run in the 1/4...12's surely ?
Any other thoughts ???:beer:

Blown306

Established Member
Thanks man!

http://www.fordchip.com/

Those are the only guys who I trust to tune my car. They're doing my first tune in April :beer:

I don't know much about engines without pushrods and distributors (or anyone with a KB on a Cobra for that matter), but I think you wouldn't have a problem getting into the 12's...remember, boost is irrelevant...flow is where it's at. Work on increasing flow through your system, the power will follow ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread