ProCharger belt shredding

gqneon

Established Member
So - when I first installed my stage 2 procharger with a D1SC, it came with the dedicated 8" drive pulley and the 5" blower pulley. The belt supplied (and the identical replacement I bought "just in case" before the install) were way too short for the kit. It shredded that and my spare while I was on the phone with ProCharger within seconds when I had to take an idler off just to get it forced on, like they recommended.

So I went and bought several belts, each a half inch bigger than the supplied 66.9" belt, and tested them (only thing local was 6-rib belts). I learned that the 68.5" wrapped the pulleys without removing anything and allowed me to use the tensioner in it's proper adjustment range. I ordered 2 8-rib versions of it online, and installed an 8-rib on it.

It has worked great, for 2500 miles, until tonight. I went and did some cornering tonight, not breaking tires loose, just controlled turning stuff, neutral powering through corners testing the stock tires.

I only did this for a couple minutes, and headed home. I hadn't made it a mile when I heard a snap and the sound of something smacking in my engine bay. I stopped and saw it was shredding the blower belt, and I was lucky enough to limp it home.

I cleaned up the mess and will swap belts in the a.m. when it's cool again.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what causes an otherwise functioning belt to fail. It didn't show any premature signs of wear and it ate up the belt on the side of the pulley closest to the front bumper. It almost looks like it walked up a rib and got insta-chewed.

Will cornering cause this to happen? Or could this be a byproduct of downshifting my car? I heard downshifting can be hard on blowers, but I don't really understand why that would be. I drove it hard tonight before that without issue, so I'm wondering if it's just a combination of hard driving and lateral force? I don't know.

I dropped pulley size to 4.63" so I'll probably toss on a half-inch shorter belt since I have one in the garage.

Also - is a belt that's too tight or too loose more likely to shred?

Let me know what you guys think or have experienced with this. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread