procharger on 96-98 cobra

SELLSZ06

Established Member
Ive been looking into buy a 96-98 Cobra to be my daily driver. Iam thinking about going straight to a blower, but it needs to be reliable. Leanning torwards P-1sc kit, or the d-1sc, but I need it to be a kit with matching fuel systems and tune. How reliable are they? Can I get the d-1 as a kit, or do they only come as a "tuner" kit? What kind of power are they making with a mild tune? How are they compared to Vortech? Thanks for any advice.

white98snake

Established Member
without a built motor the d1 is a waste b/c that blower need to be ran at 12psi+ to really get the air it needs, ive heard nothing but horror stories about procharger, i was gonna do it then opted against if b/c my friend has it and he throws belts constantly, spray it its cheaper and wont mess with the driveability when not in use

SELLSZ06

Established Member
Yeah thought about that but I really like forced induction, What about Vortec, how reliable are they?, I just didnt want to drill my oil pan. Maybe Illl stick with the p-1sc. anyone else want to chime in?

97SVT#777

Established Member
I have a 97 with the P600B. I don't have a custom tune, I just have the chip from procharger and tuned the a/f on the dyno. At 7psi I make 400rwhp/360rwtq. It's been my daily driver for 2 years and I have never had any problems out of the car. I was told when I put the belt on to make sure the pulleys lined up or I would throw belts, and so far the belt still looks brand new. I am looking into selling my car. I have a post in this forum about it so check into it if your interested.

torchred2000gt

Established Member
You don't have to drill into your oil pan to use the Vortech. You use a metal punch to knock a hole in it and then tap the hole using lots of grease. Works good as long as you're not the impatient type. It's how I did mine, it's also how Vortech suggests doing it in the instruction manual. Also, use some Permatex on the fitting so it doesn't leak.
Rob

SELLSZ06

Established Member
thanks for all the answers, what making more power Vortech or Procharger? This willl be my first mustang so sorry for the questions.
97svt: I check your car out but Iam about 2-3 weeks away from buying something.

Users who are viewing this thread