Product Review(s): Charcoal RTR Tech 7 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

stags

Established Member
I have been looking for wheels for my car since the day I bought it. I was looking for 19 x 9.5 on all 4, not black, not silver, something with a "Y" pattern, and angular aggressive lines. These Tech 7s satisfy all of those conditions, and they are made by a company with a good rep, backed by AM customer service, and the price is right to boot.

TLDR: Good wheel for the money, could be great with some tweaks

The good:

- Color is much better than the pics. More of a satin dark gray than charcoal black. On my Ruby Red, it is really a perfect color
- Did I mention: they look fantastic
- Very light. I did not weigh them but 23 pounds feels right
- Fits well. Really fills out the wheel well. My fenders are not rolled. This will also be addressed as a "bad" below
- I installed with 275/40/19 Michelin Pilot sport AS3; from stock tires, increase in grip is awesome

The bad:

- 33 offset is really aggressive. I have a slight rub in the rear. I have to basically drop the rear end of the car into a dip in the highway (think a rut coming off a bridge) at high speed to get it, but its there. I am lowered on Steeda Sports, not a very aggressive drop. Those lowered who do not already have one will need to get an adjustable panhard bar to help ensure 0 rub. These would probably be perfect w a 35 offset instead
- I have some concerns about the finish quality. We will see how they work out after first cleaning. I noticed that some areas on the back of the wheel were not completely sprayed. Not something I noticed immediately, but a nit picky car show judge might ding you for it.

Also- maybe someone from AM can clear this up- HRE makes a fully forged version of this wheel and the language used to describe construction of the RTR Tech 7s is almost identical to the HRE flow form process. If these are made by HRE for RTR then quality is a big bang for the buck.

As for the tires (Pilot Sport A/S 3 275/40/19): I am blown away. Poise, feedback, grip (forward and sideways) are all better than I could have hoped for compared to stock pirellis. They do run big for a 275, may contribute to my slight rub. Did get a slight increase in road noise but its basically unnoticeable with my offroad X. Got a TPMS warning today after about 500 miles, hope it was a install error and not a slow leak, will report back on this.

rtr2.jpg
rtr3.jpg
rtr1.jpg

Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Awesome, thanks for the pics. I have the same wheels in black being mounted/balanced with 285/35's today. The offset is aggressive, but it looks like it sits with where I'd want it. And I'm not lowered as of now, just the stock Boss rake... so hopefully no rub issue for me.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
692E4DDC-DACA-4CB7-A8F9-9CE810D41AA9_zps3qw4quyw.jpg
4D252658-7ECC-4CC0-8CCB-ADB1B9252516_zpsoabnxg0i.jpg

Offset is perfect to me. 9.5's with 285/35 square

Attachments

• 098149DA-2E09-4B09-8256-0E3AD4BEAEFA_zpsayeuikb2.jpg
    098149DA-2E09-4B09-8256-0E3AD4BEAEFA_zpsayeuikb2.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 1,884
Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I like em! I hear they are on the lighter side too

They are indeed. 23lbs a piece, and the tires I went with are 27lbs a piece... so 50lbs per wheel.

The tires are still dirty from the shipping, but that will change this weekend

6DD4DD27-9028-4C70-A059-AE204CF2AEE4_zpsjfvcnryg.jpg
0B7DF3C5-B963-44B8-B9DB-82968AF2694D_zpsyvqa95i6.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I didn't weigh them but 23lbs feels right?

Wtf?

Skrapmetal... Gloss black looks great!!

Last edited:

agentmelee

Established Member
Excellent! I've been waiting for someone to try these on a s197. Wasn't sure if they would only look good on an s550, but I like it! As far as I can tell, these are the best bang for the buck for a 19" wheel.

nosscort

Established Member
Op do you have a adjustable panhard bar? Maybe that's the reason your rubbing.

stags

Established Member
Yes I do have an adjustable pan hard. If I didn't the car would not be drivable- passenger side stuck out an inch and would have crushed the fender

No worries scrap- looks good. I thought about black but felt it would be too dark and disappear against the ruby- looks perfect on your tangerine though.

Users who are viewing this thread