Production hold on Torch Red 03's

islandmon

Established Member
:gt: According to the person I talked to today at VOPC (my dealer is too lazy to call so I did), the reason my 03 vert (ordered 2-26-02) is still "un-scheduled" is because there is a "conflict" on the order. The conflict is the color I ordered. Here is the best I could figure out: Torch Red is a 2002 standard production color for the Mustangs. It may have been a production color previously as well, however, it will not be offered for the regular production Mustangs for the model year 2003 - so - if you ordered a 2003 Torch Red Cobra and it hasn't got a build date yet you are probably going to have to wait until the 2nd production run, sometime in August, and the red will be a different red. I was also told I might have the option of changing the color now and still get a build date in the next few weeks.

I called the GM at the Ford dealer I ordered the car from to get him involved but if I do not hear back from him tomorrow I will be calling the zone/regional manager.

Any comments, suggestions, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
Damn, I'm working hard to spend money with Ford!

B

blown03cobra

they told me my sonic blue was on quality hold........ I sure hope to hell that mine is not one of the ones they test or whatever............. the day before they told me it would be here the week of the 24th so maybe this chick just had something up her butt today at VOPC

Balloonmeister

Established Member
Islandman, perhaps this is what happened: When you ordered the Torch Red in Feb, your salesman didn't tell you that he had already sold out his first production allocation. Since you are now falling into the second production run, and given that Torch Red will not be available in the 2nd production run, your order now shows up as not being able to be filled.

I also ordered a Torch Red vert, but my salesman told me in Feb that I wouldn't be in the queue until this fall. Then we found out that Torch Red wouldn't be available in the 2nd production run. So, when the 2nd production run order bank opens sometime later this summer, I will have to change the color to the new red (Laser Red, I think), or the order will not be accepted by the computer. This is important as if the computer doesn't accept your order, they won't build the car and you fall further back in the queue. It's important that your dealer confirms that your order is acceptable or you'll be waiting a long time.

Hope this helps.

islandmon

Established Member
dealer issues

Thanks fro your comments, Ballonmeister. I am meeting with the GM of the dealership and the Ford zone manager today. I should have a definite answer one way or the other. IF I can get a car soon, I will switch to black. I bet I've seen your balloons in the festivals out there!

HOPETO

Established Member
I have a torch red convertible VIN # 1FAFP49Y53F300209 on order. The VIN has been assigned since before 5-8-02 and was originally scheduled to have a dealer ETA the week of 5-27-02. It was later changed to a dealer ETA the week of 6-17-02. According to VOPC on 6-13 it was going down the assembly line. According to VOPC today 6-18 it is on rail between Flat Rock, Mich and headed to the Dallas (Mesquite) yard with an estimated shipment time of 7 days. Later, Jimmy Austin :beer:

Rob03

Established Member
Originally posted by Balloonmeister
I also ordered a Torch Red vert, but my salesman told me in Feb that I wouldn't be in the queue until this fall. Then we found out that Torch Red wouldn't be available in the 2nd production run. So, when the 2nd production run order bank opens sometime later this summer, I will have to change the color to the new red (Laser Red, I think), or the order will not be accepted by the computer. This is important as if the computer doesn't accept your order, they won't build the car and you fall further back in the queue. It's important that your dealer confirms that your order is acceptable or you'll be waiting a long time.

Hope this helps.

I believe the second run color is Redfire Clearcoat. It looks like the torch but is a little darker.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

islandmon

Established Member
The saga continues

:burn: :bash: :??: :gt:

Well just got back from the AutoWay Ford store ... We live in an amazing time ... when the customer has better access to information than the company or so it seems. The customer relations manager called VOPC while I was there and was told my car has a # 12 priority but a conflict still exists on the order because of the Torch Red color AND that no more Torch Red Cobras will be built during this, the first production run. I had asked him prior to call to find out what we had to do to change the color on the order while still keeping our place in the order queue. The rep at VOPC could not answer that so when he finished with the call he went to see the "fleet guy" "who handles all their ordering". While I'm waiting for him to return the General Manager calls me on my cell phone, returning my call from yesterday, and starts telling me that "Ford's computers are down" BS and he can't get me an answer yet. He was surprised when I told him I was actually at his dealership and was working on it with someone else. (Man, I am venting here - excuse me!)
Then the customer relations guy goes to the GM's office and they get the Ford District Sales Manager on the phone who says he has not been informed of any "holds" or such and that we should not do anything until he has a chance to look into it. Sooooooo, I am giving this guy until the close of business today to get back with me. I'm trying to be very careful not to piss these people off because there is so much they could do to f__k things up for me.
Unfortunately, when it comes to ordering a new model in high demand, once you get in the middle of it you are stuck!

If anybody has any other ideas I am open for suggestions. Also, by posting this, maybe I can forewarn somebody else in the process. This forum has been a great source of info these last few weeks and I appreciate the comraderie of the Cobra bunch.
With the exception of the tooth pulling I am going through getting the car I think I am going to be glad I made the switch back from Porsche!

islandmon

Established Member
Production problems with Torch Red

The Ford dealer just called back (Autoway - St. Pete). Told me I was right concerning the production hold on all Torch Red Cobras.

The District Manager is calling to get my color changed from Torch Red to Black while keeping the order in the queue - so - we should have a triple black on the way soon. (I originally wanted black but got the car for the wife unit and she wanted red) Maybe this will result in less attention from the law?

Is there any truth to the old adage that red cars attract more attention from law enforcement types?
I will post an update when we get confirmation on a build date and ETA.

Also, on one of the posts someone wrote that Ford shuts down for two weeks in July. From what I have found out, the only time the production line is shut down is during the model year changeover that will occur in August this year.

lethal

Established Member
I have *no* proof of this statement, but it is my belief that they will most likely shut down in the later part of August with the production for 2003 (reg run) in early September.

I don't think that Ford will say thatyour car will be built the week of 7/xx if they don't even plan to be open. Just me, but I would remain optomistic -- especially since I wont have mine until the second run begins =)

99cobra

Sorry have to disagree I test drove a 2003 Torch Red Convert last Wednesday. In KC. MO off of Bob Allen Metcalf Ford. Call them if you wish. Amazing car!!

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
Same issue for Mineral Grey. If you are not scheduled as of now, then you will not get this color or the Torch Red. I spoke with my dealer today and we changed my order to Dark Shadow Grey and I know that I will be built in the second run. My dealer did get a notification that my order could not be filled due to the paint conflict.

Spoke with SVT and they told me that model year 2003 production starts in August. You can always change your order up to the point that it is pulled by the factory for build. This will not change where you are in the queue. Your dealer adjusts priority code to get his orders filled in a particular order with 10 being first then 11 and so on.

Life must be tough when all you can think about is getting an 03:-D

Last edited:

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
2003 Cobra Torch Red

Hey Hopeto my vin is 204 not far from you 208 and my car is also on a railroad car on its way to my local depot hope to have it within a week. Torch Red is being replaced by Redfire Red which is suppossedly like Lazer Red but noone was able to get a paint chip to view. As for mineral grey that is also true. Dk. Shadow Grey is the replacement color. It was odd though how early Ford balanced out certain colors. Sucks for some. Some people with be either forced to change colors or wait till the fall for the new colors. Curious Tommy Lightning what was your cobra allocation for the 1st build. Our store got 9 Cobra's 6coupe's and 3Convertibles?

svt-tmleader

Established Member
cobrajim, that's seems like a fair amount of Cobras. I am at one of the top five largest ford stores in the country, and we could only get 7 (five coupe/2 vert). We sold more SVT vehicles last year than maybe 1 store nationwide and SVT is screwing us on allocation. We bought more cobras and lightnings from Varsity last year than they prolly sold themselves, and they get the credit for vehicles we sold down here. I confronted them about it in AZ at the dealer meetings and they kind of brushed me off. We are still fighting for more allocation for the second run, I guess we'll see. Good luck on your torch red!
Barry

COBRAJIM9999

Established Member
Cobra Allocation

We sell alot a cobra's and other svt products. We just bought 3 svt focuses because another dealer was having no sucess with them. The largest allocation I heard was Galpin Ford in Ca. they got 30 in first allocation run. SVT has never had a earn and turn program on their vehicles and they are starting now for 03 if that answers the question you couldnt get answered. So what you sold in the past did not help you today. Today will help you for tommorow. Hmmm

svt-tmleader

Established Member
Yeah, I'm aware of all that "turn and earn" bull. But we've always sold a ton of Cobras/Lightnings/Contours, every thing we could get hold of. I think that there may be some bias along the way.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by svt-tmleader
cobrajim, that's seems like a fair amount of Cobras. I am at one of the top five largest ford stores in the country, and we could only get 7 (five coupe/2 vert). We sold more SVT vehicles last year than maybe 1 store nationwide and SVT is screwing us on allocation. We bought more cobras and lightnings from Varsity last year than they prolly sold themselves, and they get the credit for vehicles we sold down here. I confronted them about it in AZ at the dealer meetings and they kind of brushed me off. We are still fighting for more allocation for the second run, I guess we'll see. Good luck on your torch red!
Barry
Wow! I got 6 total and I am a tier 2 SVT dealer.

sapper

Established Member
What is the number @ VOPC? What information do you need for them to find out anything?
And here is a dumb one...What does VOPC stand for?
Thanks

sapper

Established Member
My bust. I found the number on another post.
I need to look around a little before asking.
I still would like to know what VOPC stands for.

Users who are viewing this thread