Profiling?

TDUB003

Established Member
Let me first state that I was not the driver in this situation, and that I will try to get this as accurate and unbiased as possible because I honestly have a few questions. So here it goes..... I went up to my girlfriend's parents yesterday to go fishing and then to help paint her brother's deck. As we were heading home from her brother's house we were pulled over. Her dad was driving, her mom was in the passenger's and my girlfriend and I were in the back seat. The officer walked up to the passenger side of the car and immediately asked for license and registration and then asked her dad if his last name was Pacheco before he was able to get the documentation to him. He replied yes, and the officer then turned to her mom (who is white) and asked who she was. She told him she was a Pacheco as well. He then asked where we headed to which her dad replied home, the officer asked which city home was and whether or not we were all from there to which he told him "yes, well all of us but her boyfriend he's from Salt Lake." The officer then informed him that he had done nothing wrong there was just a truck that matched his description for a crime and he needed to run his license and registration in order to satisfy his boss. By this time a 2nd trooper showed up, the officer ran his license and came back to the car and told him he was clean. He then asked my girlfriend and her mom if they would be willing to show identification. My girlfriend didn't happen to have her purse on her so the cop asked her if she had any outstanding warrants and asked her parents if they would vouch for her identity. My girlfriend was pretty upset by this and told him "No, sorry today's not your lucky day." Her parents both said that they would vouch for her. He said have a nice day and let us go on our way. Later on in the day my my girlfriend decided to call the police department and file a complaint, as she began to tell the girl on the line the story she immediately asked if she was white. :dw: The girl then told her that a felon had been seen leaving a crime in a red truck. She told her that she could call back tomorrow and talk to the sergeant about the way the officer handled the stop which she says she fully plans on doing. Now I've been pulled over before but only when it was warranted, never for something like this. What is the protocol for these situations? The officer didn't ask for my identification, if they were truly looking for a truck that matched the description wouldn't they have asked for identification from all of us in the vehicle? Also, he drives a red Duramax which is a fairly common truck. I counted 3 or 4 on the road on the way back to their house after the stop, would the officers really stop every single red truck that's going down this particular road?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If they are looking for a red truck driven by a hispanic then it warrants stop. The questioning of individuals in the truck is commonplace. So what exactly is your girlfriend complaining about? That she was asked if she had warrants?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Why are you even asking a question about it. the officer told him they were looking for a red truck involved in a crime.

the cop, at least, was polite and told them what was up and your GF responded with an unnecessary wise ass answer.

from the sound of thing your GF is being a cry baby over nothing and her complaint will do nothing but bring what appears to be an honest cop up before an unnecessary review board.

TDUB003

Established Member
She was upset by the fact that the officer didn't question everyone in the vehicle. If his vehicle matched the description wouldn't they want to identify everyone in the vehicle?

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
That is common to find who is in a vehicle and ask questions. There is nothing wrong with asking if someone is wanted or trying to find out. The officer is doing his job.
I think your girlfriend needs to drop the cry baby attitude and move on with her life.

mustanginky

Established Member
g/f sounds like a whiny ass hippie who doesn't know her rights well enough to determine if they were violated in the first place. i can ask anyone i want to if they have warrants. it's a simple question.

dump her before she whines about 99% of the things you do, and learn how to use paragraphs.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
She was upset by the fact that the officer didn't question everyone in the vehicle. If his vehicle matched the description wouldn't they want to identify everyone in the vehicle?

Her parents had ID she didn't simple as that. had she had her purse and shown her ID I am willing to bet he wouldn't have asked the question. Tell her to grow up and get over it.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Her parents had ID she didn't simple as that. had she had her purse and shown her ID I am willing to bet he wouldn't have asked the question. Tell her to grow up and get over it.

Most people I come into contact with that know they have warrants tell me they don't have their ID on them. Either they think I'm not going to attempt to identify them or they consider lying about who they are (which usually never works, it's pretty easy to spot someone trying to give another persons info)

It normally ends in me taking them into custody for the warrant and finding their ID on them when they are searched. :shrug:

OP, your explanation of the situation is common and acceptable practice. She might want to lighten up a little and understand we are doing our jobs. Think of the victim that had to deal with the original problem the police were summoned for in the first place. How would it look if they were told that the police couldn't help them because they couldn't tell them EXACTLY which red truck the suspect was driving? It's called investigative detention, they were stopped possibly based upon eyewitness account(s) of a crime that had recently occurred or was in progress, found not to be involved in the original call, and cut loose. Happens countless times every day.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I'd take this as a huge red flag and get out while you can. Filing a complaint against a cop isn't the same as bitching to a manager at Burger King. AFIK those stay on their file forever, even if they're frivolous. Cops have successfully sued retar.. I mean people like your girlfriend, for filing BS complaints so she might want to think twice before she tries to act like a hardass. Everyone always wants to think the world revolves around them.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Haha wow, your gf went a little overboard in this situation...

A year or so ago, I got followed for a few miles, then pulled over by a cop. He explained that a white Jeep had run from another officer and he was just checking my license and registration as a formality. I had no issue with this since I was just heading to the gym. I did think it was kind of funny since my Jeep has a lift, big tires, winch, and rear tire carrier, which is pretty distinguishable from a stock Cherokee.

He kindly gave me my stuff back and apologized for wasting my time. Very nice guy, which it seems your cop was as well. Tell your gf to GTF over it and stop wasting people's time.

Users who are viewing this thread