Progressively harder to get in and out of gear

hob

Established Member
Hello all, I have an 03 Cobra with 106k miles and am having progressively worse and worse issues. Only started noticing it about a month ago, it wouldn't allow me to shift into 3rd/4th easily. I checked tranny fluid that weekend but was full. Last fluid change was about 8k miles ago with ford dex recommended fluid.

Fast forward a few weeks now I'm struggling to get it into every gear and it likes to stay locked in gear after fully engaging clutch. For example I'll push the shifter into 2nd and it'll provide resistance then after 2-3 seconds it clicks in. Or now the latest is I'll attempt to get out of a gear but it has the same resistance until I force it out or finagle it out.

Not sure when the last clutch was done on the car as Ive only had it since 95,xxx miles.

Any ideas that jump out from these symptoms?

Edit** I should mention outside of a few engine modifications it's entirely stock components.

Last edited:

Bigggy

Established Member
If you still have the stock quadrant you could try readjusting it by pulling on the pedal and then pushing it to the floor. It seems to me that the clutch is not fully disengaging,

Last edited:

hob

Established Member
When it first started happening it felt exactly as described, that the clutch isn't engaging fully.

I'll look into adjusting the cable before I do anything drastic.

Users who are viewing this thread