Project 650 RWHP Mach has begun.

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
sorry to hear of your engine troubles, now youve convinced me to buy the MMR hurricane pump

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
An n/a cobra cammed engine can make peak tq at 5200. I'm curious as to why the tq didn't peak at at a higher rpm and also why ut dropped off so fast after peak. The boost should keep the tq after pek at a very high level.

Not sure about why it dropped off, all I can say is that the car ran well and it never felt like power dropped off all the way to 7000. A full weight car trapping at 130 will attest to that. I will be talking with the the tuner soon I'll ask what he thinks.

Very nice ET. Terrible news on the knock. I'm optimistic for you though, as I have seen pump failure due to gear fragmentation without total crank and cam damage. Stall out is not good though. Good luck man.

Thanks man, I can only hope. I was just feeling the car out I am sure there was a low 10 in it that night if I could have made a few more passes. I'm gonna have to wait to save some more money before we tear back into it though.

you spent $21K and went back together with unported heads and intake, stock k-member and didnt even upgrade to a 3 bolt tensioner and cover?
where did you spend your $$?

Heads are ported mildly, figured I could do the intake and crossmember any time and I went to an 8 rib set up why would I need a 3 bolt tensioner. There is no slip at all right now. Money adds up fast especially when you have to farm out the work. The built trans and converter was $3500, D1 kit $4500 built shortblock $3000. Heads with springs cams and head work $2000. Fuel system $1000. Suspension about $600. GI joe 8 rib kit $600. Probably $2000 for gaskets arp bolts, mafia, trans cooler, misc shit. I am missing a few things not to mention all the labor. When that guy asked I counted everything. It is always a work in progress so It will be coming along as money comes in. My goal was a street comfortable 9 second car and I am almost there.

still a great build and thanks for sharing. I'm building a complete motor and fuel system for my Black 03 right now.

Thanks man good luck.

sorry to hear of your engine troubles, now youve convinced me to buy the MMR hurricane pump

TSS makes a really good oil pump gear set. If I help a few guys not go through what I went through with this oil pump at least something good will come out of it. Check this out.

TSS’s Oil Pumps -Triangle Speed Shop

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
Block is wiped out...:shrug: Crank is wiped out...:shrug: Everything else is fine. Picked up a Teksid block today and my Machine shop has a Cobra crank for me.. Some pics to follow.

procharged 99

Established Member
I am glad your getting it back together and are not one of those guys that part their car out after something like this. Can't wait to see more 10 second runs and who's oil pump are you going to run.

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
Well, I guess it could be alot worse. Keep us updated.

Absolutely, I was worried about the heads I have about $3000 in them alone. Rods and pistons were good also. I will. One of the South Florida Mustang Forums is doing a whole story on the rebuild with the builder so I will post it.

I am glad your getting it back together and are not one of those guys that part their car out after something like this. Can't wait to see more 10 second runs and who's oil pump are you going to run.

You know I did give that a thought. I have had the car about 7 years and it has been off the road for 2 of those. Gathering parts and shit for about 5 years and I finally get it done and it lasts one month...It could drive anyone to give up. I just love the car though and the reaction I get at shows the track and so on. I just couldn't give it up and I haven't reached my 9 second goal yet either. They will have to pry that steering wheel out of my cold dead hands.LOL Thanks for the kind words bro:beer:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Word?.................... Your OEM block and cast crank will be tested to the max here shortly.

Last edited:

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
Well 7 grand or so later the Mach is up and running and running better than ever. Thanks to Jake and the boys at Power By the Hour Performance and Tim Eichorn at MPR for an awesome build and the TSS oil pump gear installation. New times when it cools off. :beer:

phillipmach1

Established Member
Here are pic when my oil pump went out and I feel your pain.
18_zps3be5451e.jpg
13_zpsad4911ef.jpg
10_zpseb804938.jpg
18a_zps546fff75.jpg
17bb_zpsabd94b3c.jpg

Last edited:

Newskool Mach

9 second club
Established Member
Glad to hear she's back up and running! I know it wasn't cheap but hopefully it will last this time. :rockon:

Thanks man, stock motor went 40,000 no problems. The built motor goes 1000 and total melt down. Oh well I hope this is the last time too!

Did your oil pump gears fail?

Yep on my brand new built motor wiped out the block and the crank.

This is good news! Looking forward to some track vids.

Thanks bro. Gonna wait till it gets a little colder but I'm shooting for nines with a pulley and a new BOV.

Here are pic when my oil pump went out and I feel your pain.
18_zps3be5451e.jpg
13_zpsad4911ef.jpg
10_zpseb804938.jpg
18a_zps546fff75.jpg
17bb_zpsabd94b3c.jpg

Wow looked just like mine, looks like it took out more than the block and the crank. What else besides those cams??

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Not to be a douche but how come you didn't put billet oil pump gears in when you built your motor?

Those are one of the most important things, in my opinion.

Stanger00

Established Member
Glad you got it back up and running man.

I am running an aluminator without upgraded gears and it has me nervous as shit. I dont spin it passed 6500 though so I thought I would be in the safer zone. Guess I'm wrong thinking this.

Users who are viewing this thread