Project 85 Purple Bucket 408W Rebuild

1SLO85

SILVER BUCKET RACING
Established Member
A little over a month ago, I was in the finals of a Mustang Shootout and things went south. After pulling the oil pan, I discovered chunks of metal and tons of metal shavings. I knew this wasn't gonna be good.

The main girdle was broken in 5 different places, so I went ahead and tore down the rest of the motor. One of the bearings had froze on the crank, which in turn snapped a 4340 forged rod and broke the piston and wrist pin.

Luckily, the block was fine other than a small bruise, which will be easily fixed.
So, time for a rebuild. This time I am going with Manley (had Eagle) forged H-beam rods, 4340 forged Lunatic Pro Series crank (had a Scat) and custom 15.5:1 CR Diamond pistons (had 14.5:1 CR JE pistons).

The heads were checked and survived with no damage (AFR 205's). They had some port/polish work, but my machinist has really worked on them and on the flow bench they are flowing 332cfm@700 lift. Just a lil more polish work and they will be done.

I am also machining in 4 bolt splayed main caps for extra strength and durability as well as a few other goodies.

The new set up with be .060 overbore making it 415cid Windsor Ford Racing Sportsman block, Manley rods, Lunati crank, Diamond pistons, splayed main caps, CamMotion custom grind billet cam (300+ duration and 720+ lift), Edelbrock Victor Jr intake, Pro Systems 950 Dominator carb, upgraded Comp Cams triple valve springs, Comp Cams Pro roller rockers, Comp Cams pushrods and lots of other goodies.

Anyhoo, here's some pics of the car and process on the motor. ENJOY...

Drag_races_036.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Splayed main caps machined in and block awaiting line hone and bore...
IMG_0092.gif

IMG_0093.gif

AWESOME port work on AFR's...
IMG_0094-1.gif

IMG_0095.gif

IMG_0096-1.gif

And new crank right off the lathe after chamfered oil holes and micro-poilish...
IMG_0097-1.gif

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Now THAT'S a cam! Damn... That thing must sound nasty, any vids?

1SLO85

SILVER BUCKET RACING
Established Member
looks like its gunna be a pretty sick setup when your done. hello single digits

Best run with old set up was a 10.01. I am pretty confident that with the new set up, or atleast shooting for 9.7-9.8's N/A.

Paulinator

Established Member
nice man aint seen u out at TAD in a while u like the new track surface... he ground the sh!t out of it but its flat now and getting some rubber down.

1SLO85

SILVER BUCKET RACING
Established Member
nice man aint seen u out at TAD in a while u like the new track surface... he ground the sh!t out of it but its flat now and getting some rubber down.

Yeah, I broke it at TAD. I was there in a Mustang Shootout doing some TNT before the IHRA Iron Man race the following weekend. I got runner up in the Shootout, but the check I got didn't quite cover the repairs...LOL

1SLO85

SILVER BUCKET RACING
Established Member
Damn that is sweet.

THANKS man. She's getting there. I got a new 4" windshield cowl hood for it, so it will have the look I am wanting. I am also wanting some sort of tear away paint scheme and possibly a 93 Cobra R rear wing or an aluminum outlaw race wing. The paint and wing are still in the thinking stages.

1SLO85

SILVER BUCKET RACING
Established Member
Going up to the shop one day this week,, so I should have some new pics.

Users who are viewing this thread