Project: Basket Case

98SVT_BASKET_CASE

Hello to all, have some questions about a project I just acquired.

The "Basket Case" is a 98, black on black. Has some suspension upgrades, and the exhaust has been played with, but stock motor wise. It was wrecked in the front, so it will need some love there. I got a pickup load and trunk full of parts, so the only parts I need to source to fix the front end is a radiator support (it's a little kinked) and the bumper cover. The body work, unfortunately, is the easy problem to fix.

The motor has a knock/tick. I'm thinking it's timing chain or valve train, but it could be a rod knock. It runs great, and the noise doesn't get consistently worse at higher RPMs, will do some shade tree stethoscope diagnosing with a screwdriver when time allows. The motor does have 168k on it, and is burning a little bit of oil as well. This leads to the dilemma I currently find myself in.

As part of the deal, I got what is supposed to be a spare "running take-out" motor, as well as a second T-45. I'm thinking the spare motor would make the most sense to tear down and rebuild, but I'm not looking to drop a bunch of coin to "build" a motor for a car with a rebuilt title, but don't want to half-ass a rebuild. I'm in this very little money at this point, so the idea of putting a 10k motor into a car I paid 1500 bucks for isn't too enticing. I could just throw the spare motor in the car and hope for the best, but not sure I want to spend much time on an untested motor.

That being said, all I'm looking for is a decent cruiser without breaking the bank. It won't ever see a drag strip, and my driving like an idiot days went out the door 2 kids ago. I've had a 97 V6 and a 2004 GT in the past, and I was happy/content with the power level of the GT. Would I be completely nuts to ditch both 32 valve motors and use that to finance putting a good running PI 2 valve in it? I know that it's blasphemy, but it's better than an LS swap. What would I need to do to swap a 2 valve in?

Appreciate any thoughts, glad to be back into the Mustang world.
20190925_191153.jpg
20200606_095237.jpg

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Cheapest route would be to use the bottom end, cleaned up at a machine shop, fresh bearings, get a set of Coyote Boss Rods, and stock pistons, new timing components and degree the cams. Call it a day.

Another cheap route that would be a bit better would be the same bottom end, Continental C Heads, 99-01 Cobra or 03-04 Mach 1 Intake Manifold, use the Cobra Cams and have them degreed.

ccq8le

Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Party Liquor Posse
Looks like a cool project and find for the $ especially with you're getting a second engine. Also looks like you have genuine cobra R wheels (at least from the pic they look like real ones).

I say diagnose more of what you have now and than go from there. If you do find out it's a bent rod issue than you will have to cross the bridge of doing something different.

You're profile says Washington I am assuming that's WA state. I am as well. Welcome to the board, and good luck with the project.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98SVT_BASKET_CASE

Cheapest route would be to use the bottom end, cleaned up at a machine shop, fresh bearings, get a set of Coyote Boss Rods, and stock pistons, new timing components and degree the cams. Call it a day.

Another cheap route that would be a bit better would be the same bottom end, Continental C Heads, 99-01 Cobra or 03-04 Mach 1 Intake Manifold, use the Cobra Cams and have them degreed.

I'm leaning towards the first option, seems like the least amount of headache.

98SVT_BASKET_CASE

Looks like a cool project and find for the $ especially with you're getting a second engine. Also looks like you have genuine cobra R wheels (at least from the pic they look like real ones).

I say diagnose more of what you have now and than go from there. If you do find out it's a bent rod issue than you will have to cross the bridge of doing something different.

You're profile says Washington I am assuming that's WA state. I am as well. Welcome to the board, and good luck with the project.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Unfortunately had a wheel incident on the way home (lug nuts were loose o_O), so will need a new set. Unless I can find one of these wheels sitting in someone's garage, but not real hopeful about that happening.

Yep, I'm in Washington state. North of Seattle a ways. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread