Project blue collar: Fox body mustang restoration

RedfireSVT

Established Member
I know you have all seen the Craigslist and Forum post about a Fox Body Mustang that reads something like this: Fox Body Mustang Cheap -- Won’t Start. Many times these types of projects can be a nightmare but sometimes they can be a diamond in the rough. That is what we found in Project Blue Collar. The wiring, interior and exterior were all in place; just not in the best of conditions. We plan to pull from many of our 5.0Resto parts and completely restore this 1988 Mustang GT.

Check out the full build as we take this Regatta Blue Fox Body Mustang from pushing it around the shop to burning out in our parking lot! We have some really BIG plans with this Mustang. So be sure to check back often and follow us on social media to stay up-to-date on our project cars.

****Stages 1, 2 and 3 are now up****

click the banner below to check it out:

Last edited:

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Looks like a nice car to restore. Please show detailed video of how to reupholster the seats, including the hog rings and other painful steps. My '89 needs new front and back seat covers.

How's the heater core?

RedfireSVT

Established Member
the heater core in this one was fine when we got it but here is a video on replacing the heater core if you need it:

[youtube_browser]6tfcezkPHA8[/youtube_browser]

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Oh thanks. I need to do that too.

Edit: I watched the video and am now depressed.:cryying:

Last edited:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Tony this looks like a nightmare to do OMG the whole dash has to come out:nonono:

I am worried as I purchase a stang that has been sitting and I just replaced the RAD and STAT the water is still a little brown as I expected just concerned about HC and how to clean it out:shrug:

I am hoping driving it for a while will clean it out as i flushed it twice.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
if the heater core isn't leaking then don't worry about it. flush the coolant, put the proper mix back in and drive it.

i just changed the heater core in my daily driver 97' f-150 in my garage with basic tools. it's worse than changing it in a foxbody and i didn't think it was that bad. just a lot of screws and bolts but nothing over the top. youtube how-to videos are your friend on this job.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
if the heater core isn't leaking then don't worry about it. flush the coolant, put the proper mix back in and drive it.

i just changed the heater core in my daily driver 97' f-150 in my garage with basic tools. it's worse than changing it in a foxbody and i didn't think it was that bad. just a lot of screws and bolts but nothing over the top. youtube how-to videos are your friend on this job.

You are the man thanks that is exactly what I did and will do:beer:

I used a 160 STAT this time what plugs would you run with filter and shorty headers?

EFAN installed as well.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Got the plugs and oil changed yesterday :banana:

Now I need an EGR block off plate to finish it up:rockon:

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Thanks for the project and posting.

I'd like to see a good video of how to weld in your own sub frame connectors.

Again thank, ;-)

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I love this project..I'll be following this one.

Tony this looks like a nightmare to do OMG the whole dash has to come out:nonono:

I am worried as I purchase a stang that has been sitting and I just replaced the RAD and STAT the water is still a little brown as I expected just concerned about HC and how to clean it out:shrug:

I am hoping driving it for a while will clean it out as i flushed it twice.
HAHAHA, don't worry about it man. It's EASY. I can have a dash out of a fox in an hour or two without much trouble..it's really not that hard. It all depends on how many of the screws want to be little jerks and not come out right away. It's not a difficult job though..promise.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
HAHAHA, don't worry about it man. It's EASY. I can have a dash out of a fox in an hour or two without much trouble..it's really not that hard. It all depends on how many of the screws want to be little jerks and not come out right away. It's not a difficult job though..promise.

this is 100% correct! :beer:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
this is 100% correct! :beer:

LOL, especially the screws part. When I gutted my 92 vert I swear I spent 20 minutes trying to get the last screw out where the center console attached to the dash. That puppy was STUCK. Ended up breaking it loose by tightening it first, which I don't like doing because it can crack the plastic.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Thanks for the confidence and help I appreciate it :beer:

NP. LRS is your friend. You can build *almost* an entire fox from their catalog..they are only missing a few things (vert seatbelts *cough* *cough*).

Tony; You guys have a FB presence right? You should join the Save-A-Fox group on there as a vendor, and post updates from this there as well.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
NP. LRS is your friend. You can build *almost* an entire fox from their catalog..they are only missing a few things (vert seatbelts *cough* *cough*).

Tony; You guys have a FB presence right? You should join the Save-A-Fox group on there as a vendor, and post updates from this there as well.

i'll let the facebook mods know! thanks, tony

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Not on FB but I will be coming to you for some parts possibly as I just got tags yesterday to start driving the car now.

I did install an IRS rear with H&R SS springs and no ISO's and I hear a clanking noise I am hoping once I drive it for a bit this noise will go away upon springs settling.:shrug:

I have done this swap twice and never installed rubber ISO's any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread