Project: Heavily Oxidized Paint Restoration

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Well, my good friend next door has owned his 1970 Chevy pickup for years. Unfortunately it stood out in the elements in Colorado for over 5 years. And, he never waxed it!

Unfortunately, it was too dark to get decent picks of the paint before we started the project, but let me assure you he was ready to repaint the entire truck! The chrome was dirty and the paint was faded flat silver (pretty bad considering it's metalic blue). It was so oxidized you could literally write your name in it with your fingernail!

I said, "Let's whip out the big guns and give her a shinin' ". A day and a half later and lots of elbow grease, I think the truck turned out AOK:

chebby_truck_1.jpg

chebby_truck_2.jpg

chebby_truck_3.jpg

chebby_truck_4.jpg

chebby_truck_5.jpg

chebby_truck_6.jpg

chebby_truck_7.jpg

Blue Magic metal polish (paste) was used to polish the oxidation clean. Then we applied 3 coats of Meguire's Gold Glass. :thumbsup:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Thanks!

We started last Friday. I said, "Hey, let's try this on the bumper." Then we did the left hand side of the hood. I did a little spot, then it turned out I did the left side of the hood. It was like head 'n shoulders. Left shine you could see your reflection. Right side....nothin'. Funny.

Next morning he went out to Wal-Mart and bought supplies at 5AM. He was out there buffing with the machine. Ooops. I mentioned he needed to stay away from the liquid Blue Magic. For some reason it's different than the paste.

Turns out the buffer was causing more problems than good. 14 rags and 5 tubs of Blue Magic later we were done. Nothing like the final polish where the paint just pops. :beer:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I love that truck. One of the few Chebby's I would own.

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
I hate you people and your nice weather...damn winter in the North east blows!!!!!

Good job! :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I hear yah. That bed does look great. I really like what he did with the SS strips. :bowdown:

He may be selling it. I don't know. It's like his right arm. I keep telling him it's really a great fit for him, but he wants something he can really haul his contracting supplies with. You can't beat the performance (396 with over 500 HP). Plus it has working air!!! :rockon:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
He's happier than a puppy with 2 peters. He used to be embarrassed driving it around, but now it's going all over the place.

For $60 worth of supplies versus $4000 for a new paint job, the choice was obvious. And I noticed his original paint never looked that good to begin with. Lots of orange peel and blemishes.

No more of that. :beer:

A few more pics:

chebby_truck_8.jpg

chebby_truck_9.jpg

chebby_truck_10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread