Project número uno: Tex's 8-track...

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Waaal, it be tahm tuh instawl dat dar new ray-deee-oh!!
yeehaw.png

I wuz wantin' me one of dem dar aight-tracks; but dem damn fokkers at da Beast Buy warnt gonna co-ooper-ate none!!!
raydeeoh.png

Of course, all of this was happening back in March (hey, I been BUSY!!), and the very first moment when I went to move my truck around to the garage, IT WAS FOKKING DEAD!! I had been keeping the battery alive for a few months now with a power-point solar charger; but I forgot to plug it in over the weekend (I had some vacation I was using), and it was mega-dead. So, after unsuccessfully trying to jump it, I yanked it and took it to the nearest Interstate Battery locale, to get this nice little result:
IMG_3908.jpg

Place was so new, they didn't even have their registers fully set up:
dZtrR.jpg

:lol:

So, new battery in, truck around back, let's prep the garage:

"bench" set up (old steel/laminate table top on a pair of sawhorses), having to fix the damn new chinee-knockoff "dremel"
IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

Got the retracting power cord and work light set up too:
IMG_3912.jpg

Excellent lighting is a must!!
IMG_3913.jpg

As are good glasses for us olde fartes who have "long-arm disease":
IMG_3914.jpg

Let's not forget the über-useful and absolutely necessary Weller Porta-Sol kit--21 years old and counting:
IMG_3916.jpg

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Now the disassembly...

Note the somewhat-gutted dash:
IMG_3917.jpg

Mother puss bucket: talk about major flakage going on!! :mad::
IMG_3918.jpg

Well, fsck that shyt, off it goes for later repair action:
IMG_3920.jpg

And off comes the radio support:
IMG_3921.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Dash thoroughly gutted:
IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Back to the bench...

The support, in all it's understated glory:
IMG_3927.jpg

And the faux-dremel, ready to go, after having to repair it with plastic-welding methodology--bend the strain-spring and the underlying spiral support so it melts into the plastic hand holds it together, "welding" it with the Weller torch tip:
IMG_3928.jpg

You can just see the weld joint, it held together during this whole job:
IMG_3929.jpg

...and the A.D.D. kicks in... I saw the dash panel behind the faux-dremel, and just HAD to check it out!!

Holy sheet, look at it!!
IMG_3930.jpg

Fscking Ford quality, I thought you were better!! :angst::
IMG_3931.jpg

Fokkin'-a... That'll be another upcoming project... :devious:
IMG_3932.jpg

:blink:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Okay, back to work...

Sorry about the sheettay iPwn pics, I really had no idea they were bad til waaaay too late.:(

So, new and old... See the problem?
IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3934.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

Motherfokker, this is gonna be a bytch... And I've made shyt fit in places no one thought would actually fit!! :D

I definitely wanted to make sure this rear support is put to use:
IMG_3936.jpg

It's not even remotely close to the one on the new unit (just above the wiring harness):
IMG_3937.jpg

"Juuuuust a bit outside!"
IMG_3941.jpg

Gonna be interesting how I manage this:
IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

And the bezel fit... ain't:
IMG_3938.jpg

IMG_3939.jpg

IMG_3940.jpg

It's gonna be alot of work...

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Some test fits to get an idea what to do...

(Sorry about the huge pics, I'll do thumbs from now on out)

Test fit with radio dash panel:
th_IMG_3945.jpg

th_IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

It looks like it's gonna fit okay in the panel opening:
th_IMG_3947.jpg

A little wide here, I'll have to figure a way to address this:
th_IMG_3948.jpg

I've got one of the included trim panels in here, it doesn't quite work:
th_IMG_3949.jpg

Hmmm...

Tex Arcana

Established Member
So, time to chop on the dash...

Old upper support panel dremeled out (with a REAL 40-odd-y.o. Dremel, that I found in a garage sale for $6 :cool:):
th_IMG_3958.jpg

Space cleared, you can see where the rear radio support bracket bolted into the ductwork/dash:
th_IMG_3959.jpg

Time to chop on the front support, let's not forget the eye protection, 'cuz, y'know, I LIKE my eyes?
th_IMG_3960.jpg

Cutting the top part back:
th_IMG_3961.jpg

And cut, nice and clean:
th_IMG_3962.jpg

Aaaalllmost, but not quite:
th_IMG_3964.jpg

After taking off some on the bottom edge of the support, it's a better fit:
th_IMG_3965.jpg

Tex Arcana

Established Member
And now the radio sleeve, I decided I wanted it so it would not only help support it, it would enable me to remove it easily with the supplied special tools:
th_IMG_3977.jpg

Looks good so far:
th_IMG_3978.jpg

So to secure the sleeve to the front support, I used a couple random rubber isolators from who-knows-what as vibration isolation, with a couple coarse-thread sheetrock screws driven thru the plastic (with a minimal pilot hole) and the metal:
th_IMG_3988.jpg

th_IMG_3989.jpg

Turns out the screws will go into the a/c ductwork--not a bad thing, kinda helps pull it all together into a well-supported unit:
th_IMG_3987.jpg

th_IMG_3977.jpg

Mounted in support:
th_IMG_3990.jpg

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Now the rear support...

Here's a candidate: stamped aluminum gridding:
th_IMG_3993.jpg

How can I make the rear support bearing work?
th_IMG_3994.jpg

Okay, seems stiff enough and strong enough, holes drilled where the rear support on the radio goes, as well as a lower bolt hole:
th_IMG_3997.jpg

But, to no avail: the aluminum it waaay too brittle, it made cracking sounds during bending and forming, and pretty much fell apart when bent too much; imagine how fast it would've disintegrated under vibrations!

So I started looking for something better, and found some expanded steel mesh at work. I didn't get any pics during fabrication, but I cut a strip long enough to go up the back and over the top, and rolled the edges with a rod and a hammer for lateral stability, and ended up with this:
th_DSCF2643.jpg

th_DSCF2647.jpg

The middle bolt is grommeted, for vibration isolation, the lower one has a rubber washer behind it as well:
th_DSCF2656.jpg

th_DSCF2651.jpg

Combined with the back support on the radio and it's rubber isolator, it's a decent way to support the backside of the radio. I considered actually bolting the radio to the support, but that would be a major pain in the *** to remove:
th_DSCF2659.jpg

I think that'll work:
th_DSCF2656.jpg

:cool:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
Time for the install itself...

Wiring harness time:
th_IMG_3980.jpg

Porta-Sol FTMFW!!!
th_IMG_3979.jpg

Fokk yeah for the heat gun tip:
th_IMG_3982.jpg

Quite a few pics are missing here, I was working very late on this and just plain forgot to take them. But, I hooked up the harness and radio, and tested the unit:
th_IMG_4005.jpg

Yes, it works!! After tidying up the wiring and such, got it installed, including the GPS antenna, which will hide unde the dash binnacle panel:
th_IMG_4004.jpg

You can see some of the rear wiring tucked up behind it as well.

A shot on my way to work the next day (boy, I was fokking tired!!):
th_IMG_4007.jpg

The nav works too!
th_IMG_4008.jpg

Bloody hell, this kind of work takes a ***king toll on me!! :(
th_IMG_4009.jpg

There's a couple vids I've taken, I'll upload them when I get a chance. The SD card works as intended, except it skips occasionally :wtf: the iPhone connection actually somehow makes the music played (the EXACT same music) sound better, I have no ***king idea why, but it kinda torques me off. Also, the USB stick does the same thing as the SD card: not as good sound, skips occasionally. :shrug: The nav works like a champ; and the sound quality isn't quite what I was hoping, tho I can't decide if it's the stereo showing up the shytty speakers, or the unit just isn't that good; it doesn't have enough bass for me. :(

So that's project número uno... Project deux is next... :devious:

Tex Arcana

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Gb0Zn4VGc&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Mah aight-track! - YouTube[/nomedia]

CDs sound decent, still doesn't handle the track transistions well, the discs need the 1-second gap to work right; I suspect the SD card media needs gaps at the beginning and end of the songs to control that issue too.

I like the controls and screens overall, the nav works like a champ, and readjusts well. The Brit girl voice is sexy as hell, too. :drool: Aight-track goes in the slot between the buttcheeks. <_<>_>

On these vehicles, the space is there already. I'm sure if I dug hard enough, I'd find a properly molded bit that replaces the stock one, with the right sized opening. The real problem, which I've dealt with in single-DIN installs in tighter dashes ('68 stang, three toyotas), was the backside and how the rear support pin is dealt with. As you can see, I kludged it somewhat; but I wanted a solid support back there, and doing it that way seemed the best way I had. Maybe I could have folded some sheet metal into a nice boxed structure, but I wanted it to be decently open for cooling back there (and I'm sorely tempted to drill a hole in the duct to point some air at the back of the unit.

Now wait til you see the dash refurb... :devious:

Users who are viewing this thread