Project questions

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
I have started looking for my project car. I have found some nice looking 4 cylinders on autotrader in my price range. (right around 1k). What do you think of putting on the Cervini cobra body kit and getting the whole car painted Redfire? If someone could photshop a 87-93 that would be sweet.

Please no flames on making look like a cobra. I really like the cobra body kit and in no way am I going to misrepresent the car.

If the car(s) I am looking at now are pretty much rust free other than the hatch which will be replaced anyway with fiberglass (if the cervini FG hatch is a quality piece), I could have the car within a week or two.

If I get it I wouldnt start working on it till spring but I guess now would be a better time to find a deal.

The budget for the car has gone up since last time. Money wise it will be complete spring 2006. The budget has increased slightly to 20-24k. I figure if Im going to do it, I better do it right and make it look nice.

Last question, Since its getting a whole new engine , wouldnt it make more sense to get a windsor over a 302? It doens't cost much more. Both sportsman blocks are the same price (I think).

I am getting anxious to get this started already :beer: .

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Monster 514 crate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: Then Tires and:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: BROKE no more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Engine:

About the engine, if you have the money:

How about,

351 windsor stroked to a 408

AFR 225 heads,

custom cam

keep fuel injection! :D

Transmission? C4, G-Force T5, Tremec TKO :)

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
I was looking at the 392. I want to be able to run on pump gas. I have seen some articles awhile back with the AFR heads making 500 some hp on pump gas. I think this is the route Im going to go.

Going to go all forge internals, carb, and 150-250 shot. Going carb for simplicity and ease of tuning. Not to mention just easier.

I cant remember what heads they had on the stroker. I thought it was the 185's.

So windsor all the way huh??

Money wise budget is looking ok for some extras motor will probaly start to come together after body work and paint is done.

With the budget stated above Im thinking I will be able to buy some good stuff. Granted I want to paint whole car(will strip it myself, with some help) do the whole rearend and front and rear susp. race prepped C4 and replace weather stripping put in some nice seats, cage fuel cell etc.

I have started to price some stuff, Do you think its possible with the budget??

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I think you can build a nice car for your budget. Just think wisely and buy used parts when possible. AFR 185s are something I could use a 302 (some do). W/ a 351 stroker, I'd say AT LEAST go w/ AFR 205s, if not 225s. Ed Curtis at Corral.net can make you a very good cam for your engine. He is to cams what Micheal Jordan is to basketball, except Ed hasn't retired and came back yet :lol1:

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
I just read the article with the ford 392 stroker and with the afr 185's and a decent hyd roller cam it hit 537hp at 5900 rpm. From 3200 to 6200 torque never dropped below 440 lb ft. This sounds pretty good to me. I do plan on spraying it at the track.

I would think 2.08 intake valves for a mostly street car would be a bit big. I was hoping to keep the car pretty dependable and not have to rev it 7000 plus.

Well I found a car on Autotrader. Going to call in the afternoon on it and hopes its pretty rust free and still for sale. From the pic it looks pretty decent.

Thanks for the suggestions I will keep ya updated. Plans are wait till spring then gut the car, get a cage, get the paint work done then do front and rear supsension, rear end, brakes and then Ill be waiting for the following years bonus from work and income tax money. I think all that will eat alot of the money I got now.

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
Thanks for the link and info :) . It looks like the moly cage isnt much more so I think I will go with that. I hope my car will look as nice as some of those when I get done. I have enlisted the help of the brother in law. He has played around abit more than me when it comes to project cars. He plans on doing one soon, once he gets done with his schooling so it works out for both of us.

Well time to go find out if the car is still for sale.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Wonderful to hear :D You better stay away from the Cobra forums b/c I heard of a few guys who had money set aside for a project Stang and put the money towards a new Cobra :lol: :idea:

Here is a website that has a lot of information about carb'd Mustangs :)
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
The guy finally called back late Sunday about the car for sale. 1990 lx 4 cyl 115k miles, said no rust repainted 3 years ago, 1 dent front fender, said everything else is good on it. 1200 o.b.o. Will take a drive there this sunday as it is a *few* miles from home. As long as no rust and just a dent in the fender it will be going home with me. Im going to try to get him to part with it for an even 1k.

Anyone know of any shops in Michigan or close to Michigan that does good work on installing a cage? Hoping to get the cage done soon then I can get the rest ripped(engine etc.) out for the paint.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
Lidio Ichabelli's (sp?) shop, Alternative Automotive, I'm sure can help you w/ about anything you need. From a cage/bar, to a 600hp engine :D

His shop is "the stuff," I wish I lived near it :D

God bless

PS: Perhaps you could have your name on message boards as, "CarbdSolutions" as a joke about the Atkins diet stuff, and a carb. for an engine :lol1:

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
Ya I think Alternative is like a 30 min drive. I didnt know (I should of looked it up or email them) they installed cages. Well time to wait for the car and then get to work.

:beer:

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
You could save yourself a lot of time and money and just buy my Coupe. ;-)

39CoupeWeld_DSFront2-med.JPG

39Coupe_DS.JPG

39Motor.JPG

39Interior.JPG

Last edited:

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by Fn'sh!t^
Tell me the details.... hafta be quick Im getting anxious to get something.
dude thats a nice car, sweet:beer: :beer: my favorite style as well:beer:

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Yeah just by the car from Spritle because that is one sweet car!! Where is the clutch pedal in the pic? What is the info on the car?

Spritle

Anti-EV
Established Member
Originally posted by Fn'sh!t^
Tell me the details.... hafta be quick Im getting anxious to get something.

If you're really interested, email me and I'll send you a mod list and answer whatever questions you may have. [email protected]

I really need to get new pics. The clutch pedal was off in that picture because I was in the middle of a C4 to Tremec swap. Everything is in the car and its functional.

Thanks.

Fn'sh!t^

93svt 4 me !!
Established Member
I would really be interested in taking a look at it.

Only one problem, your in Houston while I'm stuck here by Detroit. Hmmm... If you were even 250 miles I would consider the drive.

That sucks :bash: .

I sure you wont have a problem selling it, it looks Really Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread