Project Slow and Steady - turbo 98 cobra

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Brutal describes it perfectly haha. I'll be sure to keep it updated with how the tune goes, whether that be good news or bad. Anything new with your 98?
Nothing new for mine other than parts. I do have quite a pile built up. Or family is expanding (baby #3) so a little bigger house is my first priority. I'm anxious to get the car parked and tore apart though.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
If I had a money tree in my back yard I'd have the device that KoulTools makes for this. http://koultools.com/stop-fighting-with-those-push-lock-hoses/

Good to know! Thanks. Man that tool is sweet, maybe something I would have considered if I knew about it before bought all reusable fittings and ptfe fittings. If I were needing to plumb the entire car I would get that tool and all pushloc hose and call it a day.

Nothing new for mine other than parts. I do have quite a pile built up. Or family is expanding (baby #3) so a little bigger house is my first priority. I'm anxious to get the car parked and tore apart though.

I completely get the shift in priorities kids can impose lol. That sums up why this cars taken damn near 4 years to complete haha.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Ended up just replacing all the AN lines for the cooling system with aeroquip and for the short test drive I did yesterday they are leak free. Also ditched the factory expansion tank for a s197 tank.

2724297A-9F27-45E3-9A68-57199873CCB5_zpskov69uyf.jpg

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
The s197 tank is a nice touch. Looks better on yours then it does on the new ones haha.

Thanks! I think it's a big improvement over the stock tank, especially mine being broken. I like that it's smaller and opens the front up so the turbo is a little less covered. I would love to get the tank that comes with the HPP twin turbo kit but it's something that'll have to wait since the price tag is up there lol.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
8EC10FFE-8A9B-42DD-B5AB-D3F98C414B6D_zpsg6fcaq2b.jpg

numbers are in! Car made 700/680 on 18-19 lbs. We tried upping boost a bit from there but the ignition system couldn't handle it so until I get better/new coils or a boost-a-spark I'm not pushing it harder. Couldn't be happier with Lees tune, car drives like stock and pulls like madd. I haven't felt full throttle yet or up to 6000 rpm but gettin on it 3/4 throttle felt crazy lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT GI

Established Member
Still running the COP conversion? COPs aren't designed for our waste spark ignition system, they cant re-energize fast enough. Perfectly fine on N/A setups and low boost but you're at the limit with your boost level. I'd try going back to stock setup and see if problem is fixed before going boost a spark.

Still great power and nice setup though!

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Man that is awesome, that is the goal im shooting for on mine! This is on pump gas?

Thanks man. Running e85 but could have likely made that number on pump gas as well I just have several stations near me with corn so it makes the switch easier since I don't have to really plan to find it.

Still running the COP conversion? COPs aren't designed for our waste spark ignition system, they cant re-energize fast enough. Perfectly fine on N/A setups and low boost but you're at the limit with your boost level. I'd try going back to stock setup and see if problem is fixed before going boost a spark.

Still great power and nice setup though!

I've heard the same however I know a couple of guys running cop conversion and more boost. Even the tuner said he has cop conversion cars that could handle more boost. I'm sure going back to coil pack could help but I'd rather have the cop look and run a boost a spark to make up for it.

Thanks compliments and for the tip and info. I appreciate it!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I have top Red Monster kit also. I love the clean look for a street car. I know the coils/wires are better for all out power. The boost-a-spark can help with wasted spark issue? Are you get spark blowout?

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
I have top Red Monster kit also. I love the clean look for a street car. I know the coils/wires are better for all out power. The boost-a-spark can help with wasted spark issue? Are you get spark blowout?

I still need to check my coils and make sure they are all ok and research the boost a spark some more but I would guess they would help speed up the time it take the coil to charge. Not 100% sure on that though. I was getting spark blow out with gaps bigger than 0.020" and when we tried to go to 21 lbs of boost at 0.020. So we set the plugs to 0.018 and pulled boost down a little and called it a day.

SVT GI

Established Member
I still need to check my coils and make sure they are all ok and research the boost a spark some more but I would guess they would help speed up the time it take the coil to charge. Not 100% sure on that though. I was getting spark blow out with gaps bigger than 0.020" and when we tried to go to 21 lbs of boost at 0.020. So we set the plugs to 0.018 and pulled boost down a little and called it a day.

I understand the cleaner look with COP conversion, looks so much better. I personally wish I stayed with a COP car to start with lol but love the sn95. I did a wire tuck, Scott rod panels and will be mounting the coil packs on rear firewall that's how bad I dislike the looks haha.

The boost a spark won't help the cop recharge any faster but might help with the intensity of the spark with such a tight gap for just a little further with boost. I debated going COPs and even bought a new set. Doubt even with a boost a spark it would handle my plan of 30lbs and 1200hp. I really hope it works for you and prove me wrong. with people I know not getting over 20lbs and people you know being able to, I'd love to see some more results on this setup. Keep us updated!

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Not really lol. I did order some arp 2000 head studs, head gaskets and a gt500 oil pump with billet gears last week. Its gonna take about as long as it did for you to complete yours.

98cobra#1222

that's just my game
Established Member
Not really lol. I did order some arp 2000 head studs, head gaskets and a gt500 oil pump with billet gears last week. Its gonna take about as long as it did for you to complete yours.

Unfortunately that's how it goes but that's a good start on some nice parts. I look forward to checking your build out man!

Users who are viewing this thread