Projector Headlights

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
I am looking to get new headlights for my 04 L and I came across these:

Smoked Projector Headlights (97-03 F150) - Free Shipping!

Does anyone have any experience with these? Will they work with the L's? Are they any good? I know our OEM headlights are two-piece units and these are one-piece units, I guess that is what is what I am most worried about. I am willing to take suggestions too.

Here is the background: I bought a Black 2004 L Thanksgiving weekend and drove it back to CT from CO (2000 miles). The seller did not inform me of the incredibly crappy job he did of blacking out the lights. He painted the entire housing black! I basically had to rely on my foglights while driving at night. So the current lights on the truck are garbage! Completely useless!

Since I have a black truck with dark tints, I figure, I may as well go with the sinister look and get some real black headlights. Black wheels w/ a polished lip will soon follow, along with something to make the rear lights blacked out.

Here is a pick of the lights currently on the truck:

Last edited:

FordRacing1

Established Member
they are hideous....and ricer....I agree 110%. Thats the only thing that is keeping me from buying them. I like the projector idea but they are so ridiculous looking to me. Just my opinion

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
they are hideous....and ricer....I agree 110%. Thats the only thing that is keeping me from buying them. I like the projector idea but they are so ridiculous looking to me. Just my opinion

What other choice is there for a projector light?

The way I look at it is they are so black and dark that you can't really see everything that is going on with them unless you get right up close. So they aren't as bad as the smoked or chrome ones at least.

I am open to other options, but right now, this is the best that I have found.

HIVOLTG

Go SKERS!
Established Member
The headlights look okay... its just all the other accessory crap they put in there... BMW halo's and Audi running lights... I personally would never hook all that up and just run the projectors if thats all you want them for.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
The headlights look okay... its just all the other accessory crap they put in there... BMW halo's and Audi running lights... I personally would never hook all that up and just run the projectors if thats all you want them for.

I am mostly concerned with the projectors. I will be putting HID bulbs in there, I want to be able to see! My current lights are beyond pitiful. I would probably be better off with a couple of crappy flashlights than my current headlights! LOL, unfortunately it may be truth!

Onto the the projector lights. Will it be easy to get two light bulbs in there since we only have the connection for a single bulb?

andy mack

Established Member
Got something similar on my. L ,look really good IMO and tons better than the stock lights,hooked up with a pheasant at 70mph and lost the original headlight so good time to change , will try and post some pics
andy

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Got something similar on my. L ,look really good IMO and tons better than the stock lights,hooked up with a pheasant at 70mph and lost the original headlight so good time to change , will try and post some pics
andy

I would love to see some pics! Def post them when you get a chance.:pepper:

FordRacing1

Established Member
What other choice is there for a projector light?

The way I look at it is they are so black and dark that you can't really see everything that is going on with them unless you get right up close. So they aren't as bad as the smoked or chrome ones at least.

I am open to other options, but right now, this is the best that I have found.

I will agree that the black look better than the chrome and im kinda in your boat. I found these on andysautosport.com. see what you think about those. alot better looking. and alot cleaner
Anzo Headlights - Projector (Black/Clear) for 97-03 Ford F150 at Andy's Auto Sport

203Cree

Established Member
Those aren't "projectors". They're just round housing for standard bulbs. You want projectors, tear your lights apart and do a retrofit. HID's in non HID housings look like ass.

And those particular lights are hideous. They stick out on the ends where the turn signals are. If you want your truck to look like you buy your parts at Vato Zone, do it. But were I you, I'd keep looking. Perhaps something more like these, although they're only slightly better....

Clicky

FordRacing1

Established Member
those arent projectors either. They are regular headlights with projector fog lights inside the housing. I dont know what the projectors look like with HIDs in them but i saw a picture of some on google and they looked ok to me

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
I will agree that the black look better than the chrome and im kinda in your boat. I found these on andysautosport.com. see what you think about those. alot better looking. and alot cleaner
Anzo Headlights - Projector (Black/Clear) for 97-03 Ford F150 at Andy's Auto Sport

These are OK looking, it says they only fit up to 01 though. They should fit up to 03 if they fit 01 right? I will keep them in mind though.

Those aren't "projectors". They're just round housing for standard bulbs. You want projectors, tear your lights apart and do a retrofit. HID's in non HID housings look like ass.

And those particular lights are hideous. They stick out on the ends where the turn signals are. If you want your truck to look like you buy your parts at Vato Zone, do it. But were I you, I'd keep looking. Perhaps something more like these, although they're only slightly better....

Clicky

OK, calm down. I am looking for suggestions here because that is "the best" I was able to find while searching. I need new headlights and I want something that would go with a darker look to the truck.

How do you know these will stick out? Have you seen them on a truck yet? I have never seen these on an L so I don't know what they will look like on the truck.

I need to find something that won't look like ass on my truck, I am not a fan of the ones you posted though, maybe it is the way they present them in their add, but something doesn't look right to me for some reason.

The search continues...

203Cree

Established Member
Yes, I've seen many of them on trucks and they look absolutely hideous.

Buy a set of stock lights, or eve knock off's, and get some Acura or BMW housings and ballast and do the retrofit yourself.

I'd recommend TSX, M3 or E55 housings. S2000 housings are very nice as well. The problem is you can do this cheap, or you can do it right, and doing it right isn't cheap. But, consider the fact that technically running a HID bulb in a non HID housing is illegal, and the fact that it blinds the shit out of those in the opposing lanes of traffic, and the extra cost suddenly becomes worth it.

Read this....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-187/452073-how-hid-g35-retrofit.html

Last edited:

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Yes, I've seen many of them on trucks and they look absolutely hideous.

Buy a set of stock lights, or eve knock off's, and get some Acura or BMW housings and ballast and do the retrofit yourself.

I'd recommend TSX, M3 or E55 housings. S2000 housings are very nice as well. The problem is you can do this cheap, or you can do it right, and doing it right isn't cheap. But, consider the fact that technically running a HID bulb in a non HID housing is illegal, and the fact that it blinds the shit out of those in the opposing lanes of traffic, and the extra cost suddenly becomes worth it.

Read this....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-187/452073-how-hid-g35-retrofit.html

I read that a couple of weeks back, unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to pull that off. I don't have the time either unfortunately.

I would really like to just buy something and be done with it. If someone wants to do the retro-fit, I would be more than happy to pay them for doing it right.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
I read that a couple of weeks back, unfortunately, I am not skilled enough to pull that off. I don't have the time either unfortunately.

I would really like to just buy something and be done with it. If someone wants to do the retro-fit, I would be more than happy to pay them for doing it right.

my friend in PA does retrofits, he charges 600 and you need to include the lights.

203Cree

Established Member

The Sylvania Xenarcs are your only option then if you want true HID's.

And don't think I'm only picking on you. I think everyone else in this forum that has HID bulbs in their stock housings are wrong too.

Users who are viewing this thread