Projector retrofit after action report

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Long time since I posted, thought I would contribute a projector headlight retrofit after action report. This has been done before with “How To’s” so I will contribute my lessons learned for those not satisfied with retro prices as they stand or after market solutions.

I ran HID in stock housing, as well as the latest Morimto 9007 LED Bi-Xenon kit. All results were underwhelming but refused to pay a retrofit price. What I found was this:

Retrofit can be done with minimal work and cost - assuming you use a quality factory replica headlight and Mini H-1 projectors. My build was as follows:

- Eagle Eye factory replacements off eBay ($84) - only light that had good reviews and bi-directional adjustment (a must, I had to adjust mine horizontally quite a bit). Super easy to pull apart after 20 min @ 240 degrees.

- Morimoto Stage III MH-1 projector retrofit kit ($230) off eBay seller LightWerks - kit included Morimoto MH-1 7.0 projectors, shrouds, sealant, Bi-Xenon relay harness/9007, HID ballast, igniters, bulbs. If you have HID’s already, you only need the projectors and shrouds at $100 full kit.

- Morimoto Moto H-1 holders. Stock projectors use a metal paper clip lock thing that looks terrible, I used a plastic locking O-ring setup ($20) - eliminates bulb cant.

- Diode Dynamics Demon eyes with blue tooth controller ($120). I had the work already done, figured I would regret not putting these in for DLR’s. Came with H-1 brackets, full driver harnesses and BT controller.

Lessons:

- The few YouTube videos out there for mustang retrofits are horrible - they provided little value. TRS instructions on baking, resealing, mounting MH-1 gets the job done.

- Stock reflector housing MUST be ground down with a Dremel so the entire reflector bowl back is round. You cannot lob half the 9007 lock ring off, the full ring must be removed. No effort, easy process. NO other cutting required for the housing using MH-1.

- CLEAN HANDS! The stock lights will scratch if you look at them. Take them apart wearing latex gloves, NEVER bare hand them, once they are dirty they must be washed and blown off, no wiping with towels or they will scratch. This include projector lenses as well.

- HI beam harness. Once you plug this into the projector for test fitting, DO NOT REMOVE IT! The harness fits tighter than the actual bracket construction. Removing the harness could cause the entire projector solenoid bracket to crack. Leave it in place.

- Projector shroud can easily be cut with a miter saw for a perfectly level cut.

- Dremel bit width is perfect for routing hi beam harness wires or demon eyes and if routed down no lower than where the prior 9007 bracket used to be, will be sealed by the MH-1 O-ring that sits inside the bowl.

- Resealing. I could NOT get clamps to fit on the headlight face without scratching so after I pressed the light together, I placed spring clamps on the corners (a must) and used my hands to hold the front and rear of the light in place for about 5 minutes until room temp achieved.

Long post but wanted to provide lessons I did not extrapolate from searching on here or other forums.

The Morimoto MH-1 7.0 is held in high regards which I did not find the case - my lighting is very good, but a D2S or FX type projector will give you European HID factory results. The MH-1 is great and I chose it due to size and implications for the time/work required for retrofit, just know you will not have a X5/A6 type headlight afterwards.

Project took about an hour a night for a few nights, super easy, relatively low cost if you don’t go with the demon eyes, highly encourage anyone with basic DC skills and attention to detail to go for it.
160wyrq.jpg

6oljbo.jpg

30csn89.jpg

d8ks9.jpg

Attachments

• negbgi.jpg
    negbgi.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My question with these was always hoe do you know the projector is alligned/clocked correctly.
I realize your can install in the car and.clock the projectors, bj what if you dont have the car available? How do they do it on a bench? Most headlights are not level across the bottom so I dont see how they get it done.

I did a MH-1 set on my 07 Fusion and I had to install them a few times during mock-up to make sure everything was straight etc.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Clean looking setup. How much to do another pair? ;)
Haha, thanks. I missed the mark on 10% of the attention to detail so I can see why paying to have them done is worth it in some regard.

My question with these was always hoe do you know the projector is alligned/clocked correctly.
I realize your can install in the car and.clock the projectors, bj what if you dont have the car available? How do they do it on a bench? Most headlights are not level across the bottom so I dont see how they get it done.

I did a MH-1 set on my 07 Fusion and I had to install them a few times during mock-up to make sure everything was straight etc.
Great question and one I was concerned with. For the Mustang, I found that you can align them on the car, BUT as you tighten the nut the alignment job you had goes out the window. For this application the reflector bottom is level so visually lining the flat portion of the MH-1 bottom to the bottom of the reflector bowl (there is a 1/8” gap in my application) worked better than placing on the car, then running in and tightening, etc.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Haha, thanks. I missed the mark on 10% of the attention to detail so I can see why paying to have them done is worth it in some regard.

Great question and one I was concerned with. For the Mustang, I found that you can align them on the car, BUT as you tighten the nut the alignment job you had goes out the window. For this application the reflector bottom is level so visually lining the flat portion of the MH-1 bottom to the bottom of the reflector bowl (there is a 1/8” gap in my application) worked better than placing on the car, then running in and tightening, etc.

Right but like I said, not all headlights are level on the bottom. So how do they do it? Anyone know?
Say, if I had someone online do them, how do they know they are level before shipping back.
My 98 is in the shop so I can not test fit the lights at all

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Right but like I said, not all headlights are level on the bottom. So how do they do it? Anyone know?
Say, if I had someone online do them, how do they know they are level before shipping back.
My 98 is in the shop so I can not test fit the lights at all
I would assume the mounting bracket would be level and mounting your lights to a bench via the mounting bracket oriented level would work but I can’t verify. Never had a car where the lights didn’t mount flush and level to an orfice on the frame.

Last edited:

Afmac

You can tell you put the time into these to make them look nice! I started to work on mine but with family, work and looking for a better way for things to work, took almost 3 months on mine. Great job!

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
You can tell you put the time into these to make them look nice! I started to work on mine but with family, work and looking for a better way for things to work, took almost 3 months on mine. Great job!
Thanks and I definitely did a fair amount of research ahead of time. If it weren’t for kids and domestic duties I probably could have had them done in a day. I feel you on the latency for completion.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Nice work there. I used the same headlights with my build since this brand in particular has 2 adjustment screws vs. just the one on stock and most aftermarket headlights.

For clocking the light, I have the projectors mounted tight enough to hold itself in place, but not too tight. I can get channel locks and slightly rotate the projector as needed after it is installed on the car. Another trick is to mount the headlights on the car before you bake the lens back on it. You can just grab the shroud (with latex gloved hand) and alter it as needed. I've never done it that way but it would allow you to tighten it down good and keep it aligned all at the same time.

I'm sure you will find that if you buy your own kit from TRS, the wiring options comes with it. But, if you wanted to get a plug in play you could use something like this too:

I think the only difference between your method and mine is after I drill out a hole in the reflector to pass the wiring through and then seal it up with JB Weld.

I thought my videos were a bit too long and detailed for the most part - assuming you stumbled across mine (and if so - hopefully it was helpful). Also have instructions that I think mostly mirror what you said in your post (instructions link in sig). FYI - I put the instructions there cause at the time image hosting sites were causing all kinds of headaches for threads created on forums. I figured if I placed it on a blog it would at least always be available for others to benefit from.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Nice work there. I used the same headlights with my build since this brand in particular has 2 adjustment screws vs. just the one on stock and most aftermarket headlights.

For clocking the light, I have the projectors mounted tight enough to hold itself in place, but not too tight. I can get channel locks and slightly rotate the projector as needed after it is installed on the car. Another trick is to mount the headlights on the car before you bake the lens back on it. You can just grab the shroud (with latex gloved hand) and alter it as needed. I've never done it that way but it would allow you to tighten it down good and keep it aligned all at the same time.

I'm sure you will find that if you buy your own kit from TRS, the wiring options comes with it. But, if you wanted to get a plug in play you could use something like this too:

I think the only difference between your method and mine is after I drill out a hole in the reflector to pass the wiring through and then seal it up with JB Weld.

I thought my videos were a bit too long and detailed for the most part - assuming you stumbled across mine (and if so - hopefully it was helpful). Also have instructions that I think mostly mirror what you said in your post (instructions link in sig). FYI - I put the instructions there cause at the time image hosting sites were causing all kinds of headaches for threads created on forums. I figured if I placed it on a blog it would at least always be available for others to benefit from.
Everything you said makes complete sense, and I agree. I actually did adjust them as you mentioned on the car and rotated them with my gloved hands. The issue with the MH-1 is that in my case, the cutoff was not perfect like a FX style projector, so visual alignment in a garage (was raining so terrrified to take car out further) only yielded so much of a result. Great point though.

I was considering using JB weld on the wiring holes BUT wanted to give my car some run time to see if any electronic component failure would occur. IF so, didn't want to be stuck since opening and closing the headlight covers is so easy. I also am a bit concerned about off-gassing. I read that off-gasing can cause lense haze later down the road and was not overly familiar with JB weld off gasing times if it pertruded into the sealed housing.

Great points though. The process is not complicated and extremely cost-effective and illuminating.

EDIT: Ha, just realized it was your how to I used primarily as a guide! Thanks, this was quite helpful and spot on!

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
How does the morimoto d2s 5 fit in our housing?
Did you have much room with the H1?

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
How does the morimoto d2s 5 fit in our housing?
Did you have much room with the H1?

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple
D2S requires modification to the bottom and rear of the bowl to allow for it to be mounted. Additionally, the shroud has to be cut top and rear for it to be wedged into the housing and light put back together.

The MH1 mounts near seamlessly, only requiring the bottom portion of the shroud to be trimmed. The only reason our reflector bowl needs modified at all with a MH-1 is to accommodate the short shaft that protrude through the stock bulb location. If it were deeper, we wouldn’t need to modify it.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'll add - going from the cheap H1 projectors to the Morimoto MH1 version 7 projectors is night and day in ease of installation. The Morimoto actually has a fairly long bulb shaft which makes it the ideal choice for our headlights compared other cheaper Mini H1 setups.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Awesome!

Can you post some close ups of how the projectors look lights off mid day? I really want to do this project.

Would love to see some close front, 3/4 and side front clip shots of how the projector looks in the daylight

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Awesome!

Can you post some close ups of how the projectors look lights off mid day? I really want to do this project.

Would love to see some close front, 3/4 and side front clip shots of how the projector looks in the daylight
Gotcha, car is buttoned up as it is raining right now, but here is close to what you are asking for. FWIW, I chose the matte black housing, matte black shroud, stock reflector setup because IMO you absolutely cannot tell I have a projector in there during the day. It looks stock with the exception of being darker.
n4jpq8.jpg

6oljbo.jpg

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Gotcha, car is buttoned up as it is raining right now, but here is close to what you are asking for. FWIW, I chose the matte black housing, matte black shroud, stock reflector setup because IMO you absolutely cannot tell I have a projector in there during the day. It looks stock with the exception of being darker.
View attachment 1557265
View attachment 1557266

Thanks, that looks great man, thank you for taking the time, helped me decide to pull the trigger on this project.

I think it looks meaner almost like an intimidating eagle eye vs the stock almost swan eye.

Users who are viewing this thread