projector retrofit

ARdoller

Established Member
has anyone on here actually done this with a clear/smoked housing? i know its talked about quite a bit, but most of the places i found any kind of step by step instruction with pictures, were for new edges, and the pictures/descriptions didnt say a whole lot.

i was hoping someone had a step by step guide with some pictures to show the process of this. i already have a dual beam kit thats just being used with my regular smoked housing. the retrofit into the smoked housings, is really the only projector setup that i actually like. its not obnoxious like all the aftermarket "halo"/"1 piece" projectors and all.

this is what i want to do. its got functionality, without giving up the nice look of the smoked halogen housings.

IMG_0341.gif

IMG_1032.gif

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
looks, cool, but I would think that it would still effect the light output with tinted lenses.

Id to clear lenses with a black background..

DTB

Established Member
I have been debating doing this to mine. Haven't had luck finding a write up for our cars either. Doesn't seem to hard from what I've seen on other cars. But im not sure on the wiring

kingcato

Drunk Ninja
Established Member
"All credit goes to Guido 04 for his work and knowledge, and Steve-Oh for the knowledge of how I did my headlights :beer:"

Also, as you can see all this info I have already had.. done the research, said **** the retrofit and did it the easy way (just as good) and was happy and havent looked back since

e26bad4e.gif

6adb1c56.gif

292cf187.gif

681f0629.gif

With 6000K HID's
100_0465.gif

100_0513.gif

another guy who did it also (he showed me how to do it) to see what they look like... Steve-Oh

steveo.gif

steveooooo.gif

has anyone on here actually done this with a clear/smoked housing? i know its talked about quite a bit, but most of the places i found any kind of step by step instruction with pictures, were for new edges, and the pictures/descriptions didnt say a whole lot.

i was hoping someone had a step by step guide with some pictures to show the process of this. i already have a dual beam kit thats just being used with my regular smoked housing. the retrofit into the smoked housings, is really the only projector setup that i actually like. its not obnoxious like all the aftermarket "halo"/"1 piece" projectors and all.

this is what i want to do. its got functionality, without giving up the nice look of the smoked halogen housings.

IMG_0341.gif

IMG_1032.gif

That is Guido 04, I was trying to do the same thing as he did but went a different route... but here is some info that he sent me

Guido 04 said:
whats up bud
single xenon projectors generally produce a sharper, more colorful cutoff and the guys over at hidplanet.com go crazy over it. i'm sure you've seen the bmw/benz coming at you in a distance and the headlights seem to flicker from white to blue. well if you see pictures somebody takes of the output of the projector, the blue line is what produces that flicker. its thin when the headlight is close to a wall but as you get further away it becomes more noticeable.
bixenon projectors still produce this flicker of light but it is not as pronounced as a modified single xenon. for me, and i'm assuming you, who gives a **** about the flicker? I mean its nice to have and i know my stock tl projectors have a flicker in it but i'm not going to sacrifice my high beams for a little more color for oncomming traffic.

TL projectors are high and low beam (bixenon) and will fit in to our headlights..barely. I had to cut a slot on the bottom of my headlight to clear the high beam solenoid. By the way, projectors have a shield to block light from going above the cut off. BiXenon projectors just have a solenoid that moves the shield out of the way when you hit the high beams. The bulb does not get any brighter.
If I were to do it again I would get infinity FX projectors. They are smaller so fitment will be easier and they're light output is good.
Take a look at a fx and a tl coming at you on the road and see which one you like more. A4/BMW 3 series is another one you can look in to.
After you get the projectors you need ballasts and bulbs. Get something OEM, they're by far the most durable. Generally speaking there are no OEM ballast or bulbs that are better than another so dont go crazy over which brand you should get. In terms of wiring, I picked up a 9007 high wattage kit from APC. I never would of thought I'd have APC anything on my car but its plug and play and i was planning on swapping out the relays for more durable bosch units but it's been almost 3 years now and they're still working fine. You could get away with plugging the ballasts/high beam solenoids in to your stock wiring but I would not chance it. Also you'll have to wire in a diode in to the APC harness to keep the low beams powering the ballasts while you click on the high beams. it sounds complicated but it really isn't. I wanted to do it for years but was scared and then my plug and play ballasts crapped out on me and I knew I wasn't going to buy another set. If you're seriously gonna go through with it let me know. I'll walk you through some shit on email and over the phone.

here is his car

IMG_1043.gif

IMG_1041.gif

IMG_1041.gif

IMG_0341.gif

and here is the lights he bought, but with these you still have to paint the projector outlet black
1994,95,96,97,98 Mustang GT, V6 or Cobra 4 Piece SMOKED Headlight set. SAE/DOT Certified!! at Blue Oval Industries for your Ford Mustang @ Blue Oval Industries

looks, cool, but I would think that it would still effect the light output with tinted lenses.

Id to clear lenses with a black background..

That is the other alternative like I did up top, i bought some projector headlights and then painted everything black instead of doing a retrofit so I could have both looks and function

my headlights actually show more on the road than my sisters brand new lexus (with projectors) and my dads Infiniti M45 (with projectors) and they look the same

steveooooo.gif

vs

IMG_1041.gif

I would go ahead and say buy the projector headlights and do what Steve-Oh and I did and have the looks and function for half the price and half the trouble... but if you insist well brothers here you go

Complete Process of Reto-fitting (be amazed at the work you will do lol)

Mike's 2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT Pictures : Mike's Mustang - Pictures, Videos, Write-ups, How to's, Parts for Sale, Guest book

DSCN1206.gif

DSCN1032.gif

DSCN1035.gif

DSCN1038.gif

DSCN1208.gif

DSCN1209.gif

DSCN1210.gif

DSCN1215.gif

DSCN1291.gif

DSCN1295.gif

My best post yet

ARdoller

Established Member
this thread is kinda old, i already have all that same info now... thanks anyway though.

i wasnt looking to buy pre-assembled projectors, thats why im looking to retrofit. if i didnt have bixenon headlights, and they were 9006's instead of 9007's, id consider buying them instead. but id rather use the bixenon bulbs i have, than have to go back to halogens for the high beams.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone know of an actual step by step on how to do the retrofit in a sn95?

Everyone i look at is way to basic.
They pretty must just say "cut hole, glue in projector"

My big question is, HOW DO YOU KNOW THE PROJECTOR IS POINTING EXACTLY WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE BEFORE THEY ARE GLUED IN PLACE? How do you know they are both in stalled at the exact same location and angle?

Which projectors will fit in our sn95 headlights?

ARdoller

Established Member
Anyone know of an actual step by step on how to do the retrofit in a sn95?

Everyone i look at is way to basic.
They pretty must just say "cut hole, glue in projector"

My big question is, HOW DO YOU KNOW THE PROJECTOR IS POINTING EXACTLY WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE BEFORE THEY ARE GLUED IN PLACE? How do you know they are both in stalled at the exact same location and angle?

Which projectors will fit in our sn95 headlights?
as long as theyre somewhat straight, you should be able to aim them the same way you aim them now.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I don't want any "shoulds". i want them right.
I don't want to have to have the 2 lights pointing in opposite directions just to get them aimed correctly.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
cool idea. my h.i.d.'s probably do bother oncoming traffic pretty bad. maybe i need to look into this. i'm not much for how the projectors look but these look pretty nice.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
I don't want to have to have the 2 lights pointing in opposite directions just to get them aimed correctly.

if you cut them in the identical place, and place them at the saem angle in the housings, when you go to line them up they will be at the same height.

kingcato

Drunk Ninja
Established Member

you should check some local import places because they do it all the time and depending on the credibility of the place, the majority of them do kick ass jobs

Users who are viewing this thread