Proper Intro with the Snake

98SteedaKaz

Established Member
I figured that since I've been a lurker for so long that I should swing in to introduce myself, and my baby/addiction/financial blackhole.

As my screen name kind of denotes, I do have a 98 Steeda Cobra. Sadly though mine wasn't one of the lucky 15 in 98 to be done as a serialized car. But rather 1 of 2 known post title conversions. Here she was the day I picked her up:

546468_10151721999880121_521152877_n_zpsaec3a048.jpg

At a distance she didnt look bad. Not bad at all. Clearcoat was peeling off the A pillars. Bubbling off the Rear quarters too. Sadly the girl had sat for 3 years in a tiny town of 700 right outside of a gun shop. We noticed it and talked to the owner. He admittedly didn't know much about the car, just that it was a cobra, and that when he bought it, it had a folder full of paperwork from day one. It took a little convincing but we eventually settled for 2700 dollars. Which Ill admit was a steal but heck I didn't quite know what I was getting into at the time!

We winched on the trailer and brought her home. Once there I went through the folder and just about crapped myself. Everything, and I mean everything that had been done to the car was documented. From the full suspension and undercarriage conversion that Dario's guys had carried out. To each oil change, tire rotation, hell the alignments and new tires that were bought! Also included was a well faded and worn dyno sheet for the car done in Texas claiming 343 rwhp. Which coupled with the stack of 11 second timeslips I kind of had to believe!

549289_10151721999585121_1684154497_n_zpsfe894b48.jpg

Unfortunately after the first owner let the car go for sale (ironic he was a highway patrolman from Florida), the second owner started using up the warranty to have things fixed. Well the Stealership robbed the rear Upper and Lower control arms. Stating they were causing noise and vibration. Replaced the front control arms because "the wrong balljoints and control arms were installed." And just nitpicked the car to death over the minor things. The third owner just simply drove the car. Well until it developed a noise in the engine. Which I found out what happened there:

734018_10152625340975121_84905550_n_zpsc4729bde.jpg

The number 6 cylinder decided that it had lived long enough. So I sourced a temporary engine to get the car back up and running at least to a level where I could enjoy it. After talking to Frank at Steeda I was able to track down and install all the period correct parts that were used initially.

As of now, the original engine is getting a make over at SHM. The heads were already machined and different cams were installed prior so Hyland only has to make the block solid again!

Ill be updating this thread as progress is made with the engine. Hopefully by the end of spring here in Kansas, the old girl should see another dyno, a few more road courses courtesy of SCCA. And possibly a new trip down the strip to see if I can match if not beat the mark set all those years ago!

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Nice looking car you got there. I've always liked bab. Hopefully you can get it all ironed out to be back to where it once was.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
That's a really cool story to come along with the car. Can't wait to see it up and running. What all work did it have done to make 343rwhp? Also how many miles?

98SteedaKaz

Established Member
The car had 127k on the clock, though the odometer had stopped at 109k. The third owner meticulously recorded the mileage driven by gps.

Most the information about the engine I learned through the teardown. But the cams had been changed, the heads had work done to them. Exhaust had been completely replaced front to back. Larger injectors. different MAF. And the tune I still havent completely identified. It had one of the really old SCT dip switch chips installed with a hideaway switch. Underdrive pulleys were done as well

What gets me, is mentally I added up the things. And I could see a pretty signifigant change in power since it was done right. Fuel was changed, air was changed, and even the breathing of the heads. But with all that I almost wondered if there wasnt something else done. During teardown I found signs of pitting and corrosion along the piston faces. Which had me thinking there was something else one of the first two owners had placed on it.

As for the car right now. She runs and drives beautifully. I swapped in a Mark 8 motor. And have replaced everything that was taken off the car. Even got a friend of mine up in Livonia that works for Roush to score me some extra goodies. Got a T56 magnum sitting on a pallet ready for install.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Glad you saved the car. With a bad motor, could have easily been scrapped out.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Wow......... I never even knew that Steeda did Cobra's when our 96-98 cobras were made, thats super cool! Im glad you found it, and are working to get it back into tip top shape. Keep it up and let us know.

I almost wonder what a stock Steeda 96-98 Cobra would pull on a dyno, as well as the mods that are different from Ford stock. Im soooo intrigued!

98SteedaKaz

Established Member
The serialized cobras were pulling 400 to 450 rwhp. They all were equipped with S trim vortechs.

The mods were varied. Some were strip designed others road course. But they all had full G Trac suspensions. Subframe connectors. Tuned engines. Steedas borla based exhausts. Here's a short list of my current mods. Most of which were stock.

Steeda Front and rear Adjustable swaybars
Steeda X2 ball joints
Steeda Offset Steering Rack bushings
Steeda Subframe connectors
Steeda Race Lowering springs (1 ½” drop)
Tokico Illumina 5 way Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Steeda Front and rear Tower Braces
Steeda SLA Steel Rear Lower Control Arms
Steeda Adjustable Upper Control Arms (spherical ends)
Reenforced T45 courtesy of Steeda
Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter and handle
FRPP Exhaust Manifolds
Bassani Off-Road H Pipe
FRPP Cat-Back Exhaust
FRPP 4.10 Ring Gear set
FRPP Lightweight Driveshaft
FRPP Billet Flywheel
Hawk HPS Street/Strip Brake Pads

And a few pictures from when I did the engine swap:

859669_10152621958690121_1315021558_o_zpsd997d1a2.jpg

883365_10152628288130121_2141170280_o_zpsccbe5147.jpg

856237_10152624373990121_952729094_o_zps9c01ba5c.jpg

98SteedaKaz

Established Member
Yes. I did. I wanted the car capable of moving on its own. Because I knew to do the engine rebuild correctly was going to take time, effort, and money.

scarlett98

Established Member
Ok just making sure I wasn't seeing things you cam tell it had a vortech on it cause of the coil pack bracket pass side.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
The car had 127k on the clock, though the odometer had stopped at 109k. The third owner meticulously recorded the mileage driven by gps.

Most the information about the engine I learned through the teardown. But the cams had been changed, the heads had work done to them. Exhaust had been completely replaced front to back. Larger injectors. different MAF. And the tune I still havent completely identified. It had one of the really old SCT dip switch chips installed with a hideaway switch. Underdrive pulleys were done as well

What gets me, is mentally I added up the things. And I could see a pretty signifigant change in power since it was done right. Fuel was changed, air was changed, and even the breathing of the heads. But with all that I almost wondered if there wasnt something else done. During teardown I found signs of pitting and corrosion along the piston faces. Which had me thinking there was something else one of the first two owners had placed on it.

As for the car right now. She runs and drives beautifully. I swapped in a Mark 8 motor. And have replaced everything that was taken off the car. Even got a friend of mine up in Livonia that works for Roush to score me some extra goodies. Got a T56 magnum sitting on a pallet ready for install.

Nitrous perhaps? Seeing how that rod bent/snapped it must of been running a decent amount of horsepower - or a combo of horsepower and a crappy tune. But nice find and great story.

98SteedaKaz

Established Member
See i thought about the tune issue. But if it was a bad tune then the car should run crappy now. Fuel trims are fine. No issues to see with the mark in there. And if there had been a vortech. It had to be installed and not recorded in paperwork. Especially given what this car already had installed im sure any blower would have shot past the 400hp line in a heartbeat.

And shake i sent you a message

Users who are viewing this thread