Proper procedure for being pulled over with CCW?

Sanke Pilot

Established Member
Wouldn't mind hearing from the officers about what their preference is for a driver to do when in a traffic stop. This is especially true for legal handgun carrying drivers. Should one even mention it ? Should it be mentioned right away? What is the proper way to avoid anymore problems than necessary? (You know this should be part of driver's education courses).

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Here's a sampling of what is recommended in MI:

MSP's advice on how to interact with police officers if you are carrying concealed (legally -LOL)

Excerpt:
"...To Ensure Safety During Police Encounters
If you are stopped by a law enforcement officer you should:

Keep your hands where an officer can see them.
Cooperate fully with the police officer.
If you have a gun with you, tell the police officer as soon as possible.
Do not make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon.
If in a vehicle at night, turn on your vehicle’s dome light. .."

Groovyash

Established Member
Personally, I'd rather not know. The operative word is CONCEALED. Now, if I am going to see you have a gun in the course of events of the stop it is a good idea to tell me, and if I ask you to step out of the car it is a good idea to tell me. By telling me, a statement like "Officer, I have a permit to carry a weapon and am currently armed." followed by an explaination of where it is at on you, and waiting for my directions is advisable. saying "I have a gun." is not, reaching for it is absolutely not. Many officers will ask for the gun, then run the serial, and return it, which usually takes some time. I don't usually do that, as it's not bloody likely you've told me about it and have a permit for it if it's stolen, unless circumstances lead me to believe it is. Some want it to be the first thing you say, some officers like the permit handed in the with liscence, some like me, don't, it's really a judgement call. I should also note, some states you are required to inform the officer you are armed, others like PA, you are not. Personally I assume everyone is armed and let their actions determine my treatment, no surprises that way.

Dan

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
VERY WISE

"Personally I assume everyone is armed and let their actions determine my treatment, no surprises that way"

sbro712

Established Member
In Texas if you have a CHL and are armed you are required, by law, to inform the officer that you are armed when we stop you.

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
What places can you not carry a concealed weapon (besides the obvious like a bank and airport)

Flooznie

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Depends on your state. But in general you cant carry into any courthouse or federal building or a school.

Sanke Pilot

Established Member
Schools tend to frown on it as well. Some places also post on their front door, I don't patronize these places and usually call them later and tell them why I won't be going there.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Here in KS, we do not have a CCW permit available.....although it is still perfectly legal to carry a weapon fully exposed on your hip. Basically the same rules apply as states that offer CCW's: no federal buildings, courthouses, schools, etc.

Now, to pose a question within a question....is it legal to have a handgun in full view within a vehicle, although no CCW? Technically, it is not concealed so I don't know why it would be a problem as long as he/she did not feel it was a threat to his/her personal safety but I'm curious.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread