Proper tires pressure for INVOS? 295\35\20 (Rear)

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Have a weird thing happening to mine, they seem to be wearing down on the outer shoulders which I've never experienced with a high HP car, I'm at about 35 PSI, but the inner part of the tire is way taller and not wearing nearly as much, and the shoulders are just wearing down, any ideas? On my last two cars it was always the center that wore down (due to spinning\doing burnouts\etc) but I don't do much of that in this car. Thanks in advance. :-D P.S. These suckers are AWESOME traction wise, just trying to figure out why they are wearing down so much on the outer part of the tire and not the CENTER like I am used to on a high HP car.

Last edited:

Mainn

Established Member
Greater wear in the center - tire pressure is high. Greater wear on either of the edges is more due to alignment rather than pressure.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
One good burnout will solve that wear issue :burnout:

I am running a 285/35/20 Invo, and the wear is even across the tread, but I drive a little harder than you. I keep my pressure around 28-32 depending on how I feel. Usually the TPMS light is on. I find that 35+ psi wears out the middle more, so not sure what's happening to your tires. I'm glad these Invos are getting replaced, they are HORRIBLE for traction. Good luck to ya Shifty!

Black Sex

Established Member
Are you sure the outer edge is actually wearing down or does it just seem that way because the the tread is more closed in and you can't see down there?
I run the 295/35 Invo also and love them. I plan on buying them again. I run mine anywhere from 26-32 depending on what I'm doing and mine have basically wore flat. This is my 4th year on them with about 12K miles. Still not to the wear bars.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Are you sure the outer edge is actually wearing down or does it just seem that way because the the tread is more closed in and you can't see down there?
I run the 295/35 Invo also and love them. I plan on buying them again. I run mine anywhere from 26-32 depending on what I'm doing and mine have basically wore flat. This is my 4th year on them with about 12K miles. Still not to the wear bars.

Yup I'm sure. I was following what the Vett owners said which was 32 PSI cold, 26 seems like that would just eat the side-walls up. Also GT500Hun I actually love the Invos. They plant the power ridiculously well, and if you order them on ebay from discount tire direct they are only like 430$ for a set of two 295\35\20.

Anyway I have my new stop-tech slotted rotors so when I get those installed with my new hawk pads I'll get it aligned, I'm about 36k in and have never had it aligned because the car drives like it is on rails, which is why I'm confused, I've never had to "align" my rear wheels in a car before. :coolman:

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Have a weird thing happening to mine, they seem to be wearing down on the outer shoulders which I've never experienced with a high HP car, I'm at about 35 PSI, but the inner part of the tire is way taller and not wearing nearly as much, and the shoulders are just wearing down, any ideas? On my last two cars it was always the center that wore down (due to spinning\doing burnouts\etc) but I don't do much of that in this car. Thanks in advance. :-D P.S. These suckers are AWESOME traction wise, just trying to figure out why they are wearing down so much on the outer part of the tire and not the CENTER like I am used to on a high HP car.

What width 20" rim?

R

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
What width 20" rim?

R

I'm guessing I should at least amp up the pressure for now until I can get it aligned and the new rotors installed so it will eat more into the center. :??:

*edit* Rear rim is I think 9.5 for the SVTPP rims. Before this I had 305\35\20's and they wore evenly, and they were far far wider and fatter, so I don't think it's a rim issue at all.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Oh BTW, I'm running a 20x10 aftermarket rim... I wholly disagree with you Shifty, that the Invos grip off the line. I am at 540rwhp. I think you are still stock??? I give the Invos a 9-10 for every category (wear, noise, price), but a ZERO for off the line and straight line grip. These tires belong more on a touring European/Japanese car, not a 600+hp muscle car!

Also, remember the Vettes weigh a lot less, so 26 is a little low IMO. 28psi is a little low, but I think its good based on what I've seen. I don't do top speed runs at 28psi though (anything over 110mph).

Last edited:

Black Sex

Established Member
Yup I'm sure. I was following what the Vett owners said which was 32 PSI cold, 26 seems like that would just eat the side-walls up. Also GT500Hun I actually love the Invos. They plant the power ridiculously well, and if you order them on ebay from discount tire direct they are only like 430$ for a set of two 295\35\20.

Anyway I have my new stop-tech slotted rotors so when I get those installed with my new hawk pads I'll get it aligned, I'm about 36k in and have never had it aligned because the car drives like it is on rails, which is why I'm confused, I've never had to "align" my rear wheels in a car before. :coolman:

I only go down into the 26-28 range if I know I'm going to be out trying to line up next to someone, either a dig or roll. Usually I'm at 30 or 32 for road trips.
I'm trying to figure out good pressures for autocross.

Black Sex

Established Member
Oh BTW, I'm running a 20x10 aftermarket rim... I wholly disagree with you Shifty, that the Invos grip off the line. I am at 540rwhp. I think you are still stock??? I give the Invos a 9-10 for every category (wear, noise, price), but a ZERO for off the line and straight line grip. These tires belong more on a touring European/Japanese car, not a 600+hp muscle car!

Also, remember the Vettes weigh a lot less, so 26 is a little low IMO. 28psi is a little low, but I think its good based on what I've seen. I don't do top speed runs at 28psi though (anything over 110mph).

I agree, not much traction in first gear. Durring the summer if the temps are 75*+ I can go WOT at 35-40 in second gear and it will stick.
After a little driving or one burnout @ 26psi (cold) the tire will gain a few psi also

Last edited:

Canson

Established Member
Wow people in USA really runs that low psi on their 19,20 rims and that wider tires?

I have Michelin PSS 265 front and 285 back and run 43 psi cold here in Sweden. I almost never see anyone here in Sweden that runs lower than 43 psi cold when it comes to 19,20 rims and 245> and up width tires. Sorry for the bad English but you get what i mean.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Wow people in USA really runs that low psi on their 19,20 rims and that wider tires?

I have Michelin PSS 265 front and 285 back and run 43 psi cold here in Sweden. I almost never see anyone here in Sweden that runs lower than 43 psi cold when it comes to 19,20 rims and 245> and up width tires. Sorry for the bad English but you get what i mean.

43psi sounds like wayyyyy to much. Are the roads paved with carpet over there? Even if they are, 43 would still be too much. What is the reasoning behind using 43psi? At most, I'd run the stock recommended pressures.

Black Sex

Established Member
I would have to think that pressure would wear the center of the tire not to mention lower your traction. With 43psi cold they would have to be 45-46 warm. You're talking LT truck tire pressures now.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member

43 PSI cold sounds flat out dangerous. You are over-inflating your tires BIG time, you can even call Michelin up and ask them, they would for sure say "NO NO"

Anyway I'm getting the car aligned as well as the new Stoptech slotted rotors (cross drilled and slotted I figure will crack) and hawk pads next Tuesday. My car has 37k and has never been aligned, drives perfectly straight but I guess the rears have to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Mainn

Established Member
I wouldn't say 43psi is dangerous. Don't forget, with Sweden's climate, you wouldn't get much heat into the tires at all.

Having said that, yes, the centre would wear much more quickly, and it's FAR from ideal for spirited driving. The only reason you'd run them that high was for fuel-saving.

Canson

Established Member
As Mainn said, the Sweden climate is not the best. The tires really dont get much heat I believe.

Even the tire shops here say at least 43 psi for 20 inch weels with low profile and width tires.

Then my question to guys are, what is the best tire pressure for spirited driving? Like speed for over 160 km/h?

Wouldnt the weels get damage if you hit any bad road bump with only 35 psi?

Does the car run like its on rail with 35psi? For me it seems it drives more stable with at least 40psi but a little bit harsh. Alignment is done once.

I have Stoptech Sport rotors and hawk ceramic pads.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Shifty,

Since this is your thread, I thought I'd ask you. You have done a lot of tire research, in your opinion, if you were considering Continental DW (the summer only version), or the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which would you pick? What if price is a factor, which set then? Car is never driven in the rain, and I want an all out summer tire for the stock 19" rims. I'm going to keep the 20's, with the Invos, for show, and the OEM rims for hi-per driving.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread