Property tax assessment scenario

TK Doom

Established Member
$300-$500 for an appraisal...might be worth the money?

Only good thing about CA is Prop 13.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
True, but in the same subdivision with similar amenities all built within 5 years there shouldn't be a variation between $115 per sq ft and $85. It's great my house is valued higher, but why is the jackass down the road getting off on the cheap within the same subdivision. His home is not a turd by any stretch.
Does your assessment separate the value of the land from that of the home?

If not how do you determine the value of the 2 separately?

Our city evaluations use a flat rate per square foot of land for our location x actual square footage of land to determine the land value then they separately calculate the value of the home based on comparable values in the neighborhood. They should not be comparing your home to one 20 miles away.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The tax assessment on our house is always really low. When it was appraised 3 years ago it came in way high. Zillow is usually right in the middle. I don't plan on ever selling so it's not a big concern to me but I guess you never really know what it's worth until someone buys it.

B0B

Established Member
I hear you OP, I'm in the same boat. I bought my house in '13 for 305k, tax assessed value was 250,000. 2015 tax assessed is 324k, and my taxes went up substantially. My mortgage went up over $100 a month. Its just one more way the government rapes us, along with every penny they already squeeze out of our pockets. But hey, at least we have positive equity....

Users who are viewing this thread