Pros/Cons of Running Higher Compression?

Rossim22

Established Member
What exactly are the pros/cons of running higher compression with a ported eaton? Obviously more power with more risk of detonation but I'd like a little more specific. I've tried searching but the search function is horrible on this forum, can't search "compression" or "supercharger".

Thanks for any help.

Driver500

Established Member
It depends on how much more boost, how much higher compression, and the quality of fuel in your area.

You really need more specific details to get a more specific answer than you will be that much closer to predetonation and may need torco or other octane boosters to get by with pump gas.

The pro is more power. The con is you're closer to/over the edge of pump gas limitations depending on your boost and compression.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
More compression makes the engine more efficient. More power N/A means more power in boost, and also better fuel economy during cruise, but more octane is also required. That's about the only con to more compression that I can think of, the type of fuel needed.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
In some cases, you can crank up the compression and drop your timing and boost which helps keep IAT's down. I'd consult your engine builder on what he recommends.

Rossim22

Established Member
Sorry I thought I included some info. I'm actually trying to keep my posi ported cobra as this is more of a repair build, certainly not planned. Also, I feel I'd be MUCH safer on e85 but we only have one pump about 15 mins from my house, then it's over an hour to the closest spot. How much more hp would I get at 16-17psi stock to higher compression, about 9.5:1?

50q's

Established Member
If you go higher compression 9.5 isn't going to require e85. If I were you I would shoot for around 11.1 and run e85.

Users who are viewing this thread