PS3 problems?

endless381

Established Member
I just bought a PS3 and already having problems!I turn on the console and get a black screen.Ive checked the cables also changed the HDMI cord and still have a black screen.I called a buddy that is on my friends list and he says he can see me sign online and offline..Anybody have this problem?

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
Did you check your tv inputs to make sure they are correct? Can you hear any sound? If you're online then the signal is getting out. Is this your first time operating it or did it just sit over night and now do this? Do you have component cables that you can test on it?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Did it ever work?

Maybe you have to hook it up first with the supplied composite cables, go to settings and change to 1080 hdmi setting for the hdmi output to work.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Just touch and leave pressed the power button for about 10 seconds. It should work.

endless381

Established Member
Ok heres what happen...I got the ps3 from a buddy 3 weeks ago.I hooked it up to my tv and it played fine using the HDMI cable.I also had my Xbox360 hooked up as well.But the other day I sold the xbox360 so I unhooked just the xbox from my tv.Then yesterday I tryed turning on the ps3 and all I get is a black screen.

I have unhooked everything and already tryed hooking it back up and still I get nothing but a black screen.My tv even says it recognizes the ps3 when I hook up

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Last edited:

Mayo5

Established Member
Use the component cables in the box first.

After you get that working, switch to HDMI.

There is an amount of time you have to hold down the power button, I believe it is either 5 or 10 seconds(Look it up in the manual or the internet). This will reset the display to the default setting.

Check your cable as well, check you have the correct inputs.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Either your wire took a dump (highly doubtful) or you need to reset the inputs. I've had mine do this occasionally after switching cords around. You can depress the and hold the power button until I believe it beeps 3 times and it should reset it to default. From there you can adjust the settings back at the main menu and enable whatever resolution you need. Hope this helps.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Either your wire took a dump (highly doubtful) or you need to reset the inputs. I've had mine do this occasionally after switching cords around. You can depress the and hold the power button until I believe it beeps 3 times and it should reset it to default. From there you can adjust the settings back at the main menu and enable whatever resolution you need. Hope this helps.

i dont know about that...i mean the manual says to do that, but mine, i use in 3 different rooms. 1 room has HDMI, one has compnant, the other is coaxle....the console recognizes automatically and adjusts, i never have to do a reset.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
What kind of TV do you have? I actually watch Avatar on BluRay on my PS3 on a Zenith TV. Next time I turned the PS3 on it gave me a black screen. Used the regular AV inputs and the visual could be seen but the sound was bad. Tried my PS3 on another TV and it worked fine. Turned out that my inputs had completely blown out because Zenith's suck. I now have a 47" Vizio and have had no problems.

Basically, try the PS3 on a different TV and also try different inputs, cables etc. You could also try calling the PS3 customer service. They were very helpful in trying to help me figure out exactly what my problem was. They were more than willing to replace my PS3 as well. Though they did require that I had either the receipt or original packing box, both of which I have.

Good luck!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
i dont know about that...i mean the manual says to do that, but mine, i use in 3 different rooms. 1 room has HDMI, one has compnant, the other is coaxle....the console recognizes automatically and adjusts, i never have to do a reset.

Dunno, I think needs change with TV's depending on age. Mine hasn't done it on my newer tv's but my older hd tv would occasionally do it.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Hold down the power button until it beeps like twice or three times. The resolution or display setting its set to is not being detected by your tv.

endless381

Established Member
Ive tryed changing HDMI cords and holding the button for 10 sec and still I get nothing but a black screen.....Im going to try calling PS3 here shortly

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Did you try analog/component or another hdmi input/different tv, like others suggested? Good luck calling, hope they help resolve your issue.

endless381

Established Member
im going to take it to my dads tomorrow and see if it will work on his tv.If not I guess I will try PS3.....Then if they cant help me out I will take it to a local computer shop to see if they can fix it.

Just sucks cus ive had a xbox360 for over 6 years now and only sent it off 1 time but then get a ps3 and already have problems in 3 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread