PS3 Slim Drive question

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
I just bought a PS3 slim 120GB version 2 weeks ago and have noticed that the drive is loud as hell. It sounds as though its working overtime, lots of spinning. Is this normal, for the PS3 Slim?

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I just bought a PS3 slim 120GB version 2 weeks ago and have noticed that the drive is loud as hell. It sounds as though its working overtime, lots of spinning. Is this normal, for the PS3 Slim?

No. Mine is silent.
Have you tried different game or Blu-ray discs?
Is it the drive or the fans that are making the noise?
If it's the fans ensure that the unit has good ventilation.

Last edited:

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
It's out in the open and I've tried it with just one game and several blu-ray movies. I'm pretty sure its not the fan, but the drive. I'll see if I can somehow record it.

Last edited:

97riocobra2

Established Member
I just bought a new 320 gb this past weekend and the drive is loud also. It is alot louder than my old 80 gb. You have a year warranty on it in case it fails.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
OK thanks guys. I went over to my buddies house to check his PS3 and his is completely silent. You can't hear it at all, while mine sounds like a transformer. Called Amazon and will be exchanging it.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
UPDATE: My replacement got here today, it was overnighted by Amazon(Awesome service). I just realized that my PS3 is actually the 160gb version and not the 129gb version as I thought. I connected it and it does the same noises when putting in a blu-ray movie. I'm guessing Sony is being cheap with their newer PS3's and is probably putting in cheaper hardware. I haven't confirmed that, just assuming. Thanks for the replies guys.

Users who are viewing this thread