PSA - Family first

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
I don't often post original threads, but I thought it might be useful to others. It's very personal, but here it goes.

It's sometimes funny how things coalesce. By the way, if you are a smoker, please consider stopping. Now. I'm still smoking, because I am an idiot, but that needn't apply to you.

Here's what's happened in the last 10 days, with a little background.

My wife and I are the local kids. I am speaking of my parents, who have treated my wife as a daughter for over 30 years. My sisters live in Milan, Italy and Atlanta, Georgia, so neither are close. We live only 15 miles from my parents. We talk every day, and have dinner together once a week.

Mom has had a chronic cough that wouldn't clear for around 60 days. Both my wife and I have commented on this, and were reassured that "the doctor" said nothing was wrong. She's smoked on and off for around 50 years btw, and now 79 years old.

Panic time starts pretty soon.

We were out with neighbors across the street last Saturday, 03-Feb and having a great time. When we returned home though, we had a message on the answering machine from my Dad. Don't know why he didn't call either of our mobile numbers, but the gist was that he had taken Mom to the ER for difficulty in breathing. She was admitted, they ran CT scans, started IV; basically the whole works. She was moved from the ER to a progressive care floor that night. There is a history of cancer in the family, so you might be able to guess the next part.

The scans revealed a probable tumor, with almost complete obstruction of the left upper brachial tube, which meant that the left lung was out of play. They also showed a mass in the liver that didn't belong. A biopsy indicated that the growth in her lung was small cell lung cancer (SCLC). The metastasis means that we're immediately dealing with stage IV cancer. SCLC is generally terminal in any event, but the stage IV diagnosis meant we had caught this far later than we would have liked. As if you can ever like catching a diagnosis like this. Insert sarcasm here.

A long story short, Mom's now in palliative hospice care, and won't ever leave the hospital. All of the family is here now. It's almost overwhelming. She will likely die in the next 72 hours. Bear in mind that we were laughing together on the phone just over a week ago on 01-Feb. This is too fast.

What I've now realized is that I am about to lose my best friend. Our relationship hasn't always been cordial, as I was a true shit growing up. She forgave though (never forgot, LOL) and has been probably a better Mom to my wife than her own ever was.

I love talking with her. I love to hear her laugh. I love to see her smile. I love hearing her funny daily stories, and sharing ours with her. I realize now that all of these things are about to end.

This has all happened in the space of a week. I am trying to be strong for the sake of my family, but I am finding that I'm definitely not as strong as I wished I were. I find myself crying spontaneously, and without any real control. There is the story of the donkey and the show horse. Show horses are fairly high strung and anxious by nature. It's common practice to place a donkey in the pen with a show horse, because for whatever reason, the donkey's presence calms the horse. I always thought I was the donkey. Turns out I'm just another show horse like everybody else.

The take away here, aside from dropping tobacco, is to never take anyone for granted. While I don't feel we ever did, I'd still have done some things differently.

Please take a moment to hug the people you love. You never know when things might change.

Going to the hospital in a few minutes. Things are looking somewhat more grim than they were earlier today.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
So sorry to here about this. Prayers for all.

I totally know what you are going thru. The wife’s daughter was diagnosed with that same thing. They give her maby a year. So far they have been fighting it with chemo, radiation and anything they can. But in the end it is destroying the body while trying to mend it. It is so heartbreaking to see her go through it. We do not live nearby so that makes it doubly hard.

God Bless

Blown 89

Established Member
Sorry to hear. It's ok to be emotional. Losing a parent is a whole nother level of grief.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I lost my mom a year and a half ago to the same thing. They gave her 3 months to live and she was gone 2 days later. It's tough I feel for you.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Prayers to your mom, you, and your family. I lost my mom 8 months ago from a massive heart attack. My mom had just turned sixty-nine 3 weeks earlier and was a week away from retiring. It was one of the hardest things I've gone through and never wish it on anyone. I wish you guys the best.

Coiled03

Established Member
My mom lives 1000 miles away from me. We don't talk much, and aren't as close as we were. But, I still dread the day this comes. Sorry to hear you're going through this OP. Just remember, you're not alone. Lean on the family members still with you after it's over, and remember the good times.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers for you and you’re family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
First, thank you all for the wishes and support. I didn't post looking for sympathy; it helped me to write things out, but more importantly, I don't want anyone else to feel regrets. I told Mom how I felt and the things that I love about her last night, but she was essentially comatose. So far out on painkillers that the nurse told me she won't wake up again. That part is a blessing, I suppose. She never wanted to go out like this after watching her mother, my maternal grandmother, die from breast cancer that metastasized to the bones.

I should have told her these things while she was well however, even if it's a fair bet she already knew. Once she was in the hospital, though still lucid until yesterday AM, I didn't feel I could tell her as I didn't want to make her cry, which would have caused unnecessary pain.

Please don't wait to tell the people you love how you feel. I'm covered, and have been, on my wife (she is truly a rock in a storm, and my true soul mate), but I'm now making the rounds with the rest of the family. There are too many things unspoken for too many years.

Thanks again.

_Snake_

Established Member
Thank you for sharing something so personal, so difficult, and so emotionally trying. Your message has been received. Prayers sent for you, your mom, and the family.

nxhappy

Established Member
man that is really hard. I don't know if you are religious or believe in God. But if you do, now is the time to reach out. Best wishes to you and your family.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I served as a lead / senior pastor for a long time. I have had to sit with more families than I want to remember that have a story like the one you just gave. It is painful to watch a loved one suffer.

My grandmother endured the same exact situation as your mom. She had not smoked in years, but the damage was done. No one ever knew anything was wrong until she was diagnosed. At that moment it seemed as if the cancer accelerated, or that she gave up. She went from happy and laughing, to barely conscious. That memory is still tough to swallow.

I did not tell you this to take anything away from you. I want you to know that many, including myself do understand.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread