PSP vs DSi: Which one should I buy?

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
Alright fellas so recently I've been bitten by the portable gaming bug...

My gf has a DSlite (?) and I always thought they were kind of crappy even though I've bought her a couple of games. For the past couple of weeks however I started to really get into Mario Kart (I got it for her bday) and Mario Party and honestly it has gotten to the point where I'm playing this damn thing constantly. I've grown to really like it and it brings back memories of elementary school and middle school when friends and I would play these on the N64.

HOWEVER my cousin has a PSP and from what I've noticed it's a pretty kick ass system. As far as looks go I think the PSP blows the DSi out of the water and there is no competition there, but I really don't know what else the PSP is capable of. I've heard about it having wifi (which the DSi has) but I've also heard you can put movies on it and a bunch of other things. I also heard you can hook it up to your ps3 (which I have) so what exactly can be done by doing that?

I guess it might come down to the games both have to offer so I want to know what you guy's (and gal's) think. Does anyone own both or have owned either? What cool shit (beyond gaming) have you guys done with both systems and what games do you guys recommend for either system?

BTW I have an iPhone so putting movies and music on either won't really factor in and the price difference is too small to matter.

GodStang

Established Member
For games DSi hands down. I have had DS lite/DSi for 5 years now and love it. Still play it everyday but it does not play movies like the PSP. There is a reason the DS has been the number one selling gaming system for ever now.

2 Castlevanias and Mario 64 DS are all super great games plus mario Kart DS and New Super Mario bros. I have about 30 games for it which is surprising since I do not usually buy games. My wife also plays a lot but she plays games I don't.

oh yea forgot to add the zeldas are awesome also.

Last edited:

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
my kids have both and the PSP's graphics are 10x better...Unless your under 12 I would get the PSP hands down.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The psp is like having a pocket pc. Surf the web, use the internet radio, play games, etc.., Gaming-wise, I have five games for it and all of them are compilations of older games: Capcom Classics, Sctivision Hits, Sega Genesis Collection, etc..,

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
The DS has such an enormous library of games that it's insane. I hear the newer models can even support web browsers.

GodStang

Established Member
The DS has such an enormous library of games that it's insane. I hear the newer models can even support web browsers.

Yes my DSi has web browsing and can play audio video but he says he has an iphone and that none of that will be a big deal to him.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
To those of you who have psp's or had psp's which games do/did you own?

How about you DS guys?

I guess it will come down to game selection and variety.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
my kids have both and the PSP's graphics are 10x better...Unless your under 12 I would get the PSP hands down.

Yeah I know the psp blow's the DSi out of the water in the looks/graphics department, but are there games as entertaining as Mario Kart on the psp?

How about sports games?

GodStang

Established Member
To those of you who have psp's or had psp's which games do/did you own?

How about you DS guys?

I guess it will come down to game selection and variety.

Castlevania Portrait of ruins
Castlevania Chain of Memories
Zelda Wind Waker
Rune Factory 1
Rune Factory 2
Ford Racing 2
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario Kart DS
Kingdom hearts
Final Fantasy III
Dragon Quest

These are all the main good ones I have. My wife has a bunch of the cooking and Dogs games and harvest moon games.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
only reason id go with dsi is for the games. I mean mario is classic so is zelda. I do want a psp though since I can link it to my ps3 and buy games from the playstation store for it. Also i think, dont hold me to it, but i think you can get emulators for the psp on a jump drive of NES, SNES, sega, etc

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
only reason id go with dsi is for the games. I mean mario is classic so is zelda. I do want a psp though since I can link it to my ps3 and buy games from the playstation store for it. Also i think, dont hold me to it, but i think you can get emulators for the psp on a jump drive of NES, SNES, sega, etc

An emulator huh? That's the cool factor I was talking about.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
Castlevania Portrait of ruins
Castlevania Chain of Memories
Zelda Wind Waker
Rune Factory 1
Rune Factory 2
Ford Racing 2
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario Kart DS
Kingdom hearts
Final Fantasy III
Dragon Quest

These are all the main good ones I have. My wife has a bunch of the cooking and Dogs games and harvest moon games.

Thanks bro... I'm leaning more towards the DSi to be honest.

I guess the rest of svtp is too cool to play portable games.

Sonic_GT

Established Member
The wife has been wanting a new DSi. She has the regular DS right now. Brain age is pretty fun.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I guess the rest of svtp is too cool to play portable games.

Correct. Every kid under 10 I see in public has a damn DS glued to their face. Why the hell would I want to put myself in the same category? And when would I ever find myself playing a portable game? I'll stick to movies on my Droid when I'm bored.

Users who are viewing this thread