pulled on a 99 z28

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
One of my buddies with a pretty nice 99 z28 wanted to have a run on the highway last night. We were on our way to eat, so he had two others in the car, and I had two others in the car. I was fully expecting to lose by around a car length due to me being a couple tenths slower in the 1/4 and trapping 3-4mph slower. I really didn't want to run for that reason but we hit wide open highway so I thought since he still has the stock 120mph speed limiter in place he couldnt go too far. And I'd never hear the end of backing out so I thought ok.

He pulled up beside me, I dropped my speed down between 50-60mph (not sure because my speedo is a little off and I was focusing on the road) and popped it in 3rd. He beeped 3 times and we were off. I was very surprised when he didn't go anywhere through 3rd gear, staying pretty close to dead even, maybe him slightly ahead as I hit 4th. As I was winding 4th out I had actually put a half car on him before I needed to go to 5th. I don't think 5th liked to be shifted into at 5800 rpm tho so it grinded and I missed it, allowing him to pull ahead.

I had my buddy call him up and ask for a 2nd run, explaining I missed 5th. 2nd run is about the same speed, he beeps again. I think I got in the throttle a little before he did though so I was creeping past through 3rd and 4th. By the time 5th came up I had approximately a car on him. 5th done the same thing, I hit my mark but just wouldn't accept. So he pulled ahead again.

3rd run I got to around a 40mph punch but forgot to drop down to 2nd gear. I hit the gas on the 2nd beep so I backed out real quick to offset the advantage so he got the jumped. The car bogged in 3rd so after about 5 seconds or so I just shut it down as he was gone.

It was a good run, I was very surprised that I actually hung with him and gained a small bit of ground before missing a gear. My mods are in the sig, his are cat-back and a airlid that I know of. He's also an a4 with 2.73s so that wasn't helping him any.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
damn u got an ls1 with stock e7 heads? tell him that he should be ashamed of himself for losing even though an a4 with 2.73s is a dog from a roll. good run!

slick4_6

Established Member
:beer:

Is it black with silver stripes, if it is I know that guy. He claims it runs 13.3's but he has never ran it to a 13.3. The previous owner claims he ran a 13.3 in it.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
blinelaxd27 said:
damn u got an ls1 with stock e7 heads? tell him that he should be ashamed of himself for losing even though an a4 with 2.73s is a dog from a roll. good run!

It was a real close run and I did miss 5th letting him go by. It's probably a point of view on the actual winnder, but it was close. The valve covers have never been off the car that I know of, and my aunt bought the car brand new and only added a set of weld in flows. The ONLY thing added since I updated my sig was a 190lph fuel pump which I finished about 30 minutes before I left for his house.

slick4_6: yea its got stripes.

Last edited:

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
He says it stumbles at around 118mph. I'm as clueless as you on whether it really has one on a ls1 or not, but thats what he says.

rk_2000_Z/28

LS1 to SVT
Established Member
Good kill! Dyno numbers and time slips don't amount to jack on the street!

I'm a little confused though. Has he had it at the track yet, or is he just going by the time the past owner pulled?

Again, good kill!

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
rk_2000_Z/28 said:
Good kill! Dyno numbers and time slips don't amount to jack on the street!

I'm a little confused though. Has he had it at the track yet, or is he just going by the time the past owner pulled?

Again, good kill!

The previous owner ran a 13.3 with a ypipe, headers, (albeit leaking), and another minor problem. He took the headers and midpipe off, fixed the problems, and sold it to my friend. He went 13.6 at rock while my best was a 13.8. I did have a possible 13.7 if I didn't hit antifreeze though. My 330' was a tenth faster, I had to let off to avoid smacking the wall. He also traps 3-4mph above me. Thanks though.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
sorry, something's wrong with his car.

when i had a similar set-up as your car, i would get crushed by LS1's

good kill, none-the-less

rk_2000_Z/28

LS1 to SVT
Established Member
kirks5oh said:

good kill, none-the-less

I don't know... A 13.6 car versus a 13.8 (possibly a 13.7) car could be very close on the street when so many unknown variables. And as blinelaxd27 mentioned a 45-50 roll is a very bad spot for a 2.73 auto f-body.

slick4_6

Established Member
kirks5oh said:

good kill, none-the-less

I ran the shit-talking Camaro driver at the Rock. He talks shit about Mustangs all the time since his dad bought him a Camaro. Through 1st and 2nd I put 3-4 lengths on him, missed 3rd and still beat him. Only by .05 seconds but I beat him after I missed 3rd. I think I intimidated him when I pulled out the air gage just before the run though because he asked if he could borrow it. Busted off a good light, a pitiful 2.18 60', missed 3rd and still beat him. After the run he made the comment that he started pulling on me hard about mid track, I had to let him know that I missed a gear.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
rk_2000_Z/28 said:
I don't know... A 13.6 car versus a 13.8 (possibly a 13.7) car could be very close on the street when so many unknown variables. And as blinelaxd27 mentioned a 45-50 roll is a very bad spot for a 2.73 auto f-body.

Agreed. Lots of little factors could have made a difference on these tight runs. The 2nd run I'm pretty sure I got in the throttle before he did givin me an advantage. Still was close with him around a carlength behind when 5th wouldn't go. I don't know if it was a bad spot or not, but I know when I started at around 50ish I was right at the heart of the powerband so that helped me too. I want to try from a dig next go round tho, on a grippy surface I can get it to take off pretty decent for street tires and for being a bolt on 5.0.

slick4_6

Established Member
kirks5oh said:

good kill, none-the-less

90_Red_lx's car runs extremely well for a bolt on intake only car with no fuel pressure regulator and on all season tires.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
what sort of speed is 5800rpm in 4th??? With 3.73's I'd have thought you'd be past 120mph.

If the Fbody was limited to 118mph then it's because it had crappy speed rated tyres when new.

Nice win, but seriously it was down to drive, meaning them being shite. The roll speeds you mention are not a good place for a 2.73 geared auto.

35-39mph is a sweet spot and 60-70mph is pretty good. 50mph is one of the worst possible speeds as it's too quick for 1st but fairly low in the rpms in 2nd. In fact it has the same affect as you being in 3rd when you should have been in 2nd.

BayareaSS

Established Member
Nice Runs!

I think something is wrong with your friends car. But 300bhp is right, maybe he was running from a dead spot. (which is his fault)

120 governor!! that sucks....He needs to get that taken care of.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Ya, I was very surprised I didn't get pulled on, my car runs alright for whats done to it, but it's weak point is on the highway. I think a nice run from a dig would deff swing things my way though.

Users who are viewing this thread