Pulled the trigger on a 2.9, couple of questions

perry2k12

Established Member
I finally got the headroom and pulled the trigger on a polished 2.9 whipple non-crusher. The car will be getting tuned by Bob Kurgan on March 9th. I searched around but didn't find any definite answers. My fuel mods are as follows: Twin GT pumps in a Fore hat, wire upgrade, modded fpdm, BAP, 60lb injectors. I have a 4lb lower currently. I got a 3.5" pulley with the whipple but I can buy a 4" really cheap.

What kind of boost would I see with a 3.5" upper and 4lb lower? Way too much for my fuel system I'm assuming. What boost will I see with the 4" upper and 4lb lower? Does the 4" upper clear the stock hood? Does anyone know what size belt I'm going to need for the 4", 4lb lower, 3.2" alt, 4 piece idler? A lot of questions but I only have a little over a month, any help is appreciated!

gabe1530

Banned
what fuel will you be tuning it on?
if 93, youll be fine. your system should easily support 700 on pump. if you added 80's you would be able to support 700 on e85.
your still on stock exhaust manifolds right?
remember, boost is a measure of restriction so everyone's setup will be a little different.

for me, a 3.5 would see 16/17 lbs ( i have longtubes) and if i added a 4lb lower it would be around 20/21.
since you have stock manifolds i would assume it would be closer to 21/22 lbs (3.5 w/4lb lower).
if you added the 4 upper i would assume it would be around 17/18lbs.

Last edited:

perry2k12

Established Member
what fuel will you be tuning it on?
if 93, youll be fine. your system should easily support 700 on pump. if you added 80's you would be able to support 700 on e85.
your still on stock exhaust manifolds right?
remember, boost is a measure of restriction so everyone's setup will be a little different.

for me, a 3.5 would see 16/17 lbs ( i have longtubes) and if i added a 4lb lower it would be around 20/21.
since you have stock manifolds i would assume it would be closer to 21/22 lbs (3.5 w/4lb lower).
if you added the 4 upper i would assume it would be around 17/18lbs.

Yes it will be 93. Chances are, I will take a 4" and the 3.5" to the dyno that day. I think I have a pretty solid fuel system for not being return... But I don't want to push my luck. Stock manifolds still which sucks but I gotta live with it for awhile. Thanks for the wisdom. I will pretty much ultimately let my tuner decide on the pulley situation.

Still wondering about hood clearance with the 4" upper. Also belt size.

mach1033

Established Member
On my car with a stock upper and 4 lower boost checked in at 23.5 lbs. My fuel system at the time was Fore hat, twin pumps, dual fpdms, Fore rails and 60lb injectors. Mac LT's, catted X pipe and Magnapack catback. My fuel system was 100% with the injectors and the pumps. I can only assume with a single modified fpdm that you will suffer the same.

perry2k12

Established Member
On my car with a stock upper and 4 lower boost checked in at 23.5 lbs. My fuel system at the time was Fore hat, twin pumps, dual fpdms, Fore rails and 60lb injectors. Mac LT's, catted X pipe and Magnapack catback. My fuel system was 100% with the injectors and the pumps. I can only assume with a single modified fpdm that you will suffer the same.

I see. I will definitely have the 4" upper installed initially.

mach1033

Established Member
I know fuel systems are expensive so if you ever do decide to turn up the boost then the cheapest route you can go is getting a second fpdm and get a GT500 bap that will drive the two modules. Oh and get 80lb injectors.

perry2k12

Established Member
Sounds good to me. Prob save up and get the budget return from lethal next year. Still waiting on somebody that runs a 4" upper!

mach1033

Established Member
I would have to think that a 4 inch upper would fit. I dont see it being higher than my strut tower brace.

elgonzo

Established Member
Mach1033 iam getting the same a 2.9 non crucher
Stock lower with 2.9 upper pulley how much boost will
This make
Plus iam going return e85 level 3 from fore innovation I
Tried buying the level 4 but the owner of fore innovation "Justin "
Said I don't need a level 4 to get a level 3 .... Do you know what's the
Differents of a fuel regulator before the rails and after the rails ??????
Iam looking for 700+ rwhp and bob is tuning my car too....:shrug:

gabe1530

Banned
Mach1033 iam getting the same a 2.9 non crucher
Stock lower with 2.9 upper pulley how much boost will
This make
Plus iam going return e85 level 3 from fore innovation I
Tried buying the level 4 but the owner of fore innovation "Justin "
Said I don't need a level 4 to get a level 3 .... Do you know what's the
Differents of a fuel regulator before the rails and after the rails ??????
Iam looking for 700+ rwhp and bob is tuning my car too....:shrug:

Justin is saving you from yourself in other words. He is merely telling you which system will work best for your goals. you really dont need the lvl 4 stuff unless your making over 1k horsepower and you will never see that with a 2.9 and e85.

with a 2.9 upper on a 2.9 whipple i think you would be around 26lbs. it all depends on your engine, exhaust and elevation so it could be anywhere from 25-28lbs :eek:

mach1033

Established Member
I hit 700 at 23.5 and torco. So with E-85 it shouldn't be a problem. Hope you have sticky tires:)

Users who are viewing this thread