pulley chip mod - second thoughts

mmartin 6

Established Member
After considering a 2.80, I'm having second thoughts. With a custom tune, my warranty will be gone. The car has 3K miles. Plus, the cost of doing the pulley mod right is about $1,400 which includes S/C pulley, idlers, belt, plugs, H/E, custom tune. The dark side keeps tell me "go for it" you only live once while the other says "you'll be sorry", $10K for a new engine. I need some drugs to get rid of these voices.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
I was in the same boat. except I was crazy enough to get the extended warranty as well.

with a pulley/chip your warranty for engine repair is very questionable. however with a decent tune and only those mods your engine should last just fine (yeah convinced myself too).

if you get the tick, currently they replace the head, in many cases, regardless of mods (tough for them to fight that one, its a known problem on mach1's and cobras).

now losing the warranty doesnt mean everything. if a power window motor goes its still covered for example.
what you lose is typcially the powertrain warranty (engine, driveshaft,halfshafts etc).

I was gonna hold off, but I went and did it (only have 4k miles)
and its been a lot of fun since. cant say if its worth it, if something fails (like the fuel pump) and I go boom ill be bumming hard.

tough choice, but the car really does come alive after a pulley/chip :)

its a risk some people have enough money it doesnt matter, some people dont and 10k for a new engine is pretty steep if you just spent 35k on the car. but if you get a good tune, maybe even a little conservative you can avoid having to replace the motor.

good luck on on your decision.

TRBO VNM

I am planning on the 2.8 pulley, SCT flasher, plugs and belt. If I have a problem it will go back to stock. The dealer screws us enough.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
im hanging arounf 465hp/490tq SAE was having some sparc plug problems so had to junk the NGK's and go back to platinum motorcraft. havent had a chance to redyno yet.

so yeah a few mods make a world of difference but even my mod friendly dealer made it clear if something goes boom its most likely gonna be my bill.

Users who are viewing this thread