Pulley help.

florida03

Banned
Have had a pulley issue for a while now and even Ford cant
help. Got a bad squeel when I start the car up cold then goes away
when fully warmed. Just got the car back from Ford they changed
the Idler asy and the pulley tensioner, started the car up this morning
and it seems like it got worse. Any help would be appreciated.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Did they install a new belt too?
Usually a noise that occurrs on cold start from the belts is related to the heavy load the alternator puts on the belts to recharge the battery and then when it is charged, usually about the time the motor is warmed up, it subsides or disappears. The noise happens because the belt is slipping on the alternator pulley.

If you haven't yet, try swapping on a new belt and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, try hitting each individual pulley with WD-40 or something similar, while the noise is occurring and see if that helps pinpoint the source.

Dana

florida03

Banned
Hey Dana, on my service invoice it says acc dr belt replaced so im not sure.
But I already hit my idler with WD, Ill hit the rest in the morning. Did you have this
prob and was the belt on the Alt pulley the cause?
TY

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
florida03 said:
Hey Dana, on my service invoice it says acc dr belt replaced so im not sure.
But I already hit my idler with WD, Ill hit the rest in the morning. Did you have this
prob and was the belt on the Alt pulley the cause?
TY

I haven't had this problem on this car, but I have had it on others. Some of them you were able to adjust the tension of the belt and that cured it, on others, the belts were too worn/glazed and tightening them only helped for a little while. On this car, the tensioner takes all of that out of the picture and if the tensioner spring is good, then the belt is shot.
You should be able to look at the belt and see if it had just been replaced. If not, I'd try it.
It should also list the belt on the invoice as a part used if a new one was installed.

You can always keep the old belt as a spare.

I would also contine to check the rest of the pulleys as you have started, it may show something too.

I would also inspect the bottom most idler as there have been numerous failures of that particular idler.

All this is based on previous experiences, and without actually seeing the car, it is difficult to be more precise. Sorry.

Hope this helps some,

Dana

florida03

Banned
Thanx again Dana, sounded like shit this morning so I took it to Ford
again. Have an appointment Tuesday when their gonna change all
the pulleys and stock idlers instead of waisting time and try to pinpoint
the squeak.
Nik

Users who are viewing this thread