pulley noise

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
Has anybody had a problem with a chirping noise from their pulley area? I've narrowed my options I know it's not the belt, the alternator, Idler pulley or tensioner pulley and when I spin the others there is no noise. Anybody have any ideas?

Nick
:burnout: :burnout:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... that doesn't leave a hell of a lot. Water pump ... Air Cond Clutch/bearing?
Just a WAG {Wild Ass Guess}.

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Never heard of it before, but I'm sure someone has tried it! Remove the belt, and crank it up for a real short run, with someone with their head under the hood (hood open - LOL).

Dan

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
I already started it with no belt and no squeak. I used an air ratchet to spin everything by itself at high speed and no noise. Somebody at the gas station in a honda said it sounded like I needed to replace my gerbal. I said hey at least it's bigger than your hamster and left the gas station sideways. Looked back and his jaw was hangin. lol damn ricers anyways

PETSNKE

Established Member
The tensioner pulley is the usual culprit. If you notice alot of play in it with your belt off, I would just replace it. The assembly was improved in '98.

A member of my SVTOA chapter thought his squelling noise was coming from his pulleys and couldn't figure it out. Finally brought it into the dealer and they found it was the throwout bearing. I heard it myself and would swear it was coming from the front of the motor at the belt.....goes to show you some noises can be deceiving.

BTW, I'm out at Klinger Lake a few times every summer. I haven't seen any other Cobras in that neck of the woods. I'll keep my eyes peeled and give a :thumbsup: if I see ya.

Last edited:

freakshow12

Established Member
thats what I meant, the tensioner.....ITS BEEN A LONG DAY! hahaha.I was going to change it when I did my blower but forgot in all the excitement. well I'm changing pullies so I will do it then I guess.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
hey petsnke next time you're at the lake run into pigeon and stop by the oil change and say hi. You'll have to bring the cobra over some time and we can go have fun with all the ricers in sturgis

freakshow12

Established Member
I think they are the same, there are ALOT of parts that are different from 96-98......I found this out on my vortech install. on the front dress though,Ithink only the w/p pulley is different from 96-97 and the 97-8 is the same. hope this helps.

red96cobra

Drivin' on a rail
Established Member
yeah thanks for the help. I'm gonna go and get the 98 tensioner tomarrow

Nick:beer:
:burnout: :burnout:

Last edited:

freakshow12

Established Member
I think if you go to your dealer and ask if there is a TSB on the tensioner, they may have an updated part # for you. but if you can snag the 98 do it. what do they cost anyway? I should do mine when I have the s/c off.

66GT350

Established Member
Guys, if memory serves me, I think there was a TSB on the '96's for that problem. The reason I mention it is 'cause I did a lot of research on known problems for 96 through 98 cobras when I was shopping. As I recall, it was the belt noise and the cooling issues on the 96's. I'd stop by a dealer and double check.

PETSNKE

Established Member
Originally posted by red96cobra
hey petsnke next time you're at the lake run into pigeon and stop by the oil change and say hi. You'll have to bring the cobra over some time and we can go have fun with all the ricers in sturgis

Actually I always drive the cobra thru White Pigeon when I'm at my sister's cottage. I'll stop by and say hi.

I'm pretty easy to spot with my vanity plates
<------------------------------------------------------

duane v

Established Member
My alternator pulley makes a ton of noise (chirping), but Ill wait for it to die before buy a new one since it still charges.. DA snake Boy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread