Pulley Question

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
Currently I have a Mac 2.5" Catback and Densecharger on my 03. I will soon be adding a bassani Catted X-Pipe and Predator Programmer. I would also like to add a pulley to my combo, but still want to keep the stock pulley cover in place, so I was thinking of going the lower pulley route for a stealthier look under the hood.

I'm open to suggestions for pulley recomendations. Looking to get somewhere in the 12-14 psi range to utilize the Predator's Pulley tune.

Feel free to chime in!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Why not just go with an upper pulley? Southfloridapulley has steel nonslip upper pullies. If I were you, I would go with a 2.80 steel nonslip upper pulley and a gatorback belt. You will save a lot of money and make the same hp/tq.

The factory predator tune "should" be able to handle the 2.80 pulley. Just make sure you dyno the car BEFORE you start doing some full throttle runs.

Viper_ed

Locked & Loaded!!!
Established Member
Dyno before, I thought that's what the warranty was for!!!

Just kidding, dyno run is a must for such a change. Just judging by the belt routing I don't see how a "non-slip" pulley will not slip without the 3rd idler. My Kenne bell on my 331 has the idler to insure that the belt is practically wrapped all the way around the pulley. Figure the Cobra would need the same

MaximumSVT

Embrace your fears
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by Viper_ed
Currently I have a Mac 2.5" Catback and Densecharger on my 03. I will soon be adding a bassani Catted X-Pipe and Predator Programmer. I would also like to add a pulley to my combo, but still want to keep the stock pulley cover in place, so I was thinking of going the lower pulley route for a stealthier look under the hood.

I'm open to suggestions for pulley recomendations. Looking to get somewhere in the 12-14 psi range to utilize the Predator's Pulley tune.

Feel free to chime in!

Long as you don't add an aux belt tensioner pulley you can keep the stock guard in place by going with a smaller upper. Also, I used the stock Predator "Pulley" tune until I had my car dyno'ed. I had to add quite a bit of fuel to get it in the safe zone.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
viper - belt slip is not a cut and dry issue. There isn't a pulley, belt, or idler pulley that will officially end any and all belt slip forever.

From my experience, an idler pulley will not give you more hp UNLESS your getting severe belt slip without one. You will always have belt slip no matter what combo you run.

Why not just try the SFPHQ nonslip 2.80 pulley with a gatorback belt. If the car runs good and makes good power then you just saved another 100+ bucks by not using an idler. But if you get it on the dyno and find that your getting major belt slip then put on the idler. No need to make it harder than it really is.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
CCC - the jury is still out on that. But if your using an RR nonslip pulley then yes, most people use a gates belt just in case.

But SFPHQ nonslip pullies are desinged slightly different, SFPHQ says that they will NOT chew up gatorback belts. SFPHQ has said that you will be fine with any belt.

Users who are viewing this thread