Pulley size???

snakevenum96

Got Boost?
Established Member
A 3.33" pulley will net you 10psi whereas the 3.125" pulley will get you 12psi. The stock pulley should be a 3.60" I believe.

IMO I would add the 3.33" pulley along w/ the AFM PowerPipe. That should get you around 12psi but just be careful you will be pushing probably around the max boost that the stock internals in the cobra can handle (#6 likes to go kerplunk).

If you have balls of steel you can go with the 3.125" pulley and the PowerPipe. That will get you around 14psi of boost. This is risky if you do not have forged internals, which most people do not unless they have blown a piston or two in the past.

This is my opinion. I to have a V1-S trim on my 96 and I just ordered the 3.33" pulley from Vortech for $64.95 + S/H. And also the PowerPipe from AFM.

Here is their link:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/pulley.html

If interested you can get the AFM powerpipe directly from AFM for $249.95 + S/H.

Here is their link:

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/

Hope this helps you out!

droptopcobra97

Established Member
would the boost numbers change if I had a T-trim? Like if I ran the same size (3.33") pulley with an Anderson Power pipe? Would it still be at 12 psi? Thanks!

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by snakevenum96
A 3.33" pulley will net you 10psi whereas the 3.125" pulley will get you 12psi. The stock pulley should be a 3.60" I believe.

IMO I would add the 3.33" pulley along w/ the AFM PowerPipe. That should get you around 12psi but just be careful you will be pushing probably around the max boost that the stock internals in the cobra can handle (#6 likes to go kerplunk).

If you have balls of steel you can go with the 3.125" pulley and the PowerPipe. That will get you around 14psi of boost. This is risky if you do not have forged internals, which most people do not unless they have blown a piston or two in the past.

This is my opinion. I to have a V1-S trim on my 96 and I just ordered the 3.33" pulley from Vortech for $64.95 + S/H. And also the PowerPipe from AFM.

Here is their link:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/products/pulley.html

Hope this helps you out!

Thanks for the info...I've blown a few pistons in the past that's why I went with the forged internals which should be done in the next few weeks.

Another thing, if I go wih the 10 or 12 lbs pulley will I have to re-tune my computer again?

The only problem I have is if to go with the 10 lbs pulley or the 12 lbs.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

snakevenum96

Got Boost?
Established Member
It wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get it tuned for the new parts. It can only help you (if you have a competent tuner, larger HP #'s is not always best, take your car to where it runs great and leave it at that. When you start trying to squeeze out every little pony you can is where you get f'ed). You don't want to be running out of fuel either so a larger fuel pump is always a good thing. You can never have to much fuel. I see that you already have 42# injectors, and I am assuming that you have the T-Rex inline with the vortech kit. If I were you I would add a new in pump unit, probably a Walbro 255lph pump. That will insure that you have enough fuel and won't be running lean in the higher RPM's. With more boost that is imperative unless you want to be replacing more internals. They aren't that expensive, between $140 and $150 and you can pick up a BBK 255 pump for even less than that. I'm not sure which is the better brand but I'm assuming Walbro is considering almost everyone has that one. That call is up to you. If you have forged internals (which you do) then you can handle more boost. I ordered the 3.33" pulley and the AFM powerpipe. As I said before that is good for around 12psi (I do have stock internals--4 now). But since you are forged then you might want to consider the 3.125 and the powerpipe and get yourself up to the 14 maybe even 15psi range. A guy on the corral site is running 16psi w/ forged internals and he has over 520 RWHP I believe (give or take a few) After all that is taken care of your only problem will be coming up with enough money to keep tires on the car. :rockon:

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
If you have forged internals (which you do) then you can handle more boost. I ordered the 3.33" pulley and the AFM powerpipe. As I said before that is good for around 12psi (I do have stock internals--4 now). But since you are forged then you might want to consider the 3.125 and the powerpipe and get yourself up to the 14 maybe even 15psi range. A guy on the corral site is running 16psi w/ forged internals and he has over 520 RWHP I believe (give or take a few) After all that is taken care of your only problem will be coming up with enough money to keep tires on the car. :rockon:

Thanks for all the info bro:thumbsup:

I've been told that a V-1 S-trim can handle 10lbs but eventually will give out...but on the Vortech website it says that it can handle up to 20lbs. What's the most boost you've heard someone using on a V-1?

snakevenum96

Got Boost?
Established Member
I've never heard of the S-Trim giving out after 10 psi of boost. Vortech rates the max output of a supercharger by giving you a maximum impeller speed.

For the V1-S trim it is rated at a max of 50,000 RPM's and can handle up to 20 psi of boost. You can figure up how many RPM's you are spinning on your supercharger by using vortech's impeller speed calculator.

Basically all you enter is your supercharger pulley diameter (3.125), the diameter of your crank pulley (stock is 6.625" I believe but don't quote me on that ), and what RPM you shift at. (around 6800 give or take)

If you enter these figures into their calculator then your impeller speed would be 49735.2 which is just under 50k RPM and falls in the safe range. When the supercharger spins faster that means more power and its their quicker when you need it. And with the addition of the powerpipe you will see more boost without raising your RPM's on the supercharger.

If you are running the stock crank pulley and a different supercharger pulley then you will hit the max RPM allowed with around a 3.125" pulley. Any pulley smaller than that without changing your crank pulley is pushing the limits of the S-Trim. If you were to change to a smaller crank pulley then you could raise the boost by changing the blower pulley as well.

If you step up to a T-Trim supercharger then your max RPM increases to 55,000 RPM.

The V2 SC trim can spin a max of 53,000 RPM.

The S-trim is what I run and I have no problems with it. You can sucessfully get over 500+ rear wheel horsepower out of the S-Trim with no problems to the supercharger just by changing the pulley.

I have managed to confuse myself so I hope I didn't confuse you with this. If you want to play around with the impeller speed calculator here is the link:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/support/impspeedv-1.html

snakevenum96

Got Boost?
Established Member
You were wondering what the highest psi I've heard of on a S-Trim. A friend of mine had 17 psi showing on the S-Trim with no problems. May be luck but its doing just fine.

:rockon:

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
You were wondering what the highest psi I've heard of on a S-Trim. A friend of mine had 17 psi showing on the S-Trim with no problems. May be luck but its doing just fine.

:rockon:

Thanks bro:beer:

I think I'm going to go with the 3.125/12 lbs pulley in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread