pulley squeeking

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
Any of you guys have the pulleys squeeking while the car is idling. My car just started doing this lately and its getting rather annoying. Anyone got a fix for this or is it time to just replace the pullies themselves?

I'm running a 2.8 blower pulley with i think a 100mm idler (came on the car when i got it, so im not 100% sure honestly)

SNAKE005-1.jpg

NewCobra007.jpg

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
to be honest with you, it is probably your belt. Mine did that for months and I changed all of my BF pullies and chased the problems.... then someone on this site told me that it was my belt. Got myself a gatorback and problem solved.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
that napa gatorback v belt that lethal performance sells? got a website? I thought it might be belt squeek, but usually its the pulleys when it sounds like mine does. But maybe you're right.

Will be cheaper to change the belt and see if that works 1st anyway :)

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The cheapest way will be to find out exactly what is squeaking.

Get about 3 feet of heater hose (Or and extra long screwdriver/pry bar, use the handle end on your ear) and hold one end to your ear. Take the other end and hold it on or near the center bolt of the tensioner and idler pulleys. I suspect one will be significantly louder than all the others. When you find the load one replace it.

See if that doesn't take care of the problem. If not try a belt.:shrug:

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
The cheapest way will be to find out exactly what is squeaking.

Get about 3 feet of heater hose (Or and extra long screwdriver/pry bar, use the handle end on your ear) and hold one end to your ear. Take the other end and hold it on or near the center bolt of the tensioner and idler pulleys. I suspect one will be significantly louder than all the others. When you find the load one replace it.

See if that doesn't take care of the problem. If not try a belt.:shrug:

yeah already have done that. but thanks. I thought all the pullies came in a set though (besides the blower pulley). Can you buy them individually though?

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
Put a couple of drips on the belt when the car is running....if it goes away, its the belt. I had a squeak at start up with my gates belt, then I switched to the Gatorback and it went away.....and it has a nice little whistle too!

wlg101190

Established Member
I wish you could hear my supercharger at idle :(. I have the Gatorback, and all I hear is the damn injectors!

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
OK fine, so what's the verdict? Is any one louder than the others?

The the idler was a little noisey but i still think its the belt. Im busy today so i'll try and diag it some more tomorrow. Yeah i've just never seen the pulleys sold separately (other than the blower) so guess i will call billetflow and see.

PS: Does anyone know what pulley brand is on my car now? And what blower pulley is that on the car, a 2.8 right?

Is the 2.75 blower pulley considered a 2.8 (rounding)? or does 2 different pulleys, 1 a 2.75 and the other a 2.8 actually EXIST? Was wondering if they were the same thing or not and people were just saying 2.8 since its easier than just saying 2.756, etc.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
there are, indeed, different sizes but the following have little effective difference:

2.75 Reichard
2.76 BF
2.80 ASP
2.81 I forget

yours appears to be pulley that's made by ASP but they have been branded with many names by many vendors

along with many other folks, BILLETFLOW is what I highly recommend

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
my eyesight ain't too good anymore but it could very well be

Steeda has sold ASP pulleys (not sure if that's still their mfg)

Last edited:

boosted_truck

Network God
Established Member
I was having the same isssue. One of the bearings in my Billet Flow idlers was chirping. I called them up and ordered all new bearings.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Hes is another random question:

BILLETFLOW has 2 blower pullies im interested in switching to. They have the 2.760", and the 2.930"

Now, I have a 2.8 on my car I believe. I'm figuring i'd want to go with the 2.76 pulley to keep the tune the same, but is the 2.7 blow pulley the one where you have to file down the snout of the blower for it to fit???

Can you put a 2.7 pulley on without any problems? I've seen some blower snouts filed down to fit small blower pulleys, but i never new what size pulley that was that those people were trying to fit on

redline

Established Member
i thought mine were squeeking and it turned out to be my alternator.i ended up buying a new alt. and a bigger pulley for it

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
If the pulley's aren't anodized then they could be the cause. I just had my RR pulley's all anodized because I was getting a loud squeeking noise at start up. Gatorback belts help too.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
The idlers can be bought individually. this is an example from LFP. http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/lfp-lightweight-aluminum-idler-pulley-p-292.html
A 2.76 should fit fine. its the 2.6 that were the ones that needed to have the snout filed to fit. the one that will def. work your current tune is the 2.93. it will be rich at wot. the 2.76 could work but has the chance to go lean depending on how aggressive the tune is in the car already. why do you want to swap the blower pulley? stick with it and just get the idlers. it would cost more to get another pulley and retune than what it is worth to gain only minimal horsepower over your current setup.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
The idlers can be bought individually. this is an example from LFP. http://www.lightningforceperformance.com/lfp-lightweight-aluminum-idler-pulley-p-292.html
A 2.76 should fit fine. its the 2.6 that were the ones that needed to have the snout filed to fit. the one that will def. work your current tune is the 2.93. it will be rich at wot. the 2.76 could work but has the chance to go lean depending on how aggressive the tune is in the car already. why do you want to swap the blower pulley? stick with it and just get the idlers. it would cost more to get another pulley and retune than what it is worth to gain only minimal horsepower over your current setup.

I was thinking about switching ALL of the pulleys out for black billetflow pulleys, including the blower pulley. so thats why i wanted to change them all. But billetflow doesn't offer a 2.8 blow pulley (which is i think what i have) so i wanted to know the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread